Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Why do you flip your propane up like that? Genuinely curious as you seem to know things. I never did any research but I always thought the crud and impurities settled to the bottom of the tank and the tank should be as upright as possible. I always set mine up like the pic.
In this case there was not enough room behind to rotate it like in your picture. I do believe the way you depicted is the proper way although I need to learn a bit more. The system worked but I will follow up since I have the same question.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
A few days ago we stopped into Mancos, Colorado for lunch and information on the local area. It was a very interesting little town and it was nice having a vehicle that could easily pull into a regular parking spot, back out, etc.
2022-10-05_18.48.16.jpeg

From there we headed west and spent a few days at Mesa Verde National Park. Here is a shot of the Cliff Palace where the ancestral Pueblo people lived around one-thousand years ago.
2022-10-05_18.38.50.jpeg

In the same park there is a Step house where you can walk around and see pit houses and kiva under an alcove.
2022-10-06_14.55.47.jpeg

It was a busy few days but there are so many places to pull over and spend time just relaxing. Here is a beautiful view from 8,600 feet at Park Point Overlook.
2022-10-05_19.39.34.jpeg

Of course, even in harsh climates like this there is still natural beauty to be found.
2022-10-06_14.56.38.jpeg

Here is a shot of our rigs after several hard days and nights. Both are holding up well although I am very happy with my 8-speed transmission. We have filled up and drive the same for many days not and the new rig always has a significant advantage when it comes to efficiency.
2022-10-05_18.47.22.jpeg

One final picture from the high desert.
2022-10-06_21.04.40.jpeg

And since we were so close, we could not resist visiting the four corners where four states join together. Interestingly, this is also the intersection for the Navajo Nation and Ute Mountains Ute Tribe.
2022-10-06_18.33.01.jpeg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, much respect for you running Wolf Creek loaded up like you - that's crazy!

Next time you drive through please play this song for me :)

I've spent a fair amount of time on the bottom of the westbound side helping a friend put out the boat trailer brake fire and replacing bearings... Before he could get his sh*t together and get a lockout for the surge brakes, we started taking the southbound route to Navajo Reservoir. When he stopped double towing, we started running WCP again. I lock out my boat surge brakes before we run it.

jsalbre

Reaction score
In this case there was not enough room behind to rotate it like in your picture. I do believe the way you depicted is the proper way although I need to learn a bit more. The system worked but I will follow up since I have the same question.
I’m actually surprised it ran like that. Most of the propane in your tank is liquid, worh gas on the top. When you invert it unless it’s almost completely empty (causing there to be only gas and no liquid in the tank) you can get liquid out which could cause a fire that isn’t where you intend for it to be.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
I have taken dozens of photos of the landscape here in SW Colorado and would love to post them all although my recommendation is for you to visit here and see for yourself. The pictures just do not do this area justice. Here is one teaser:
2022-10-07_14.40.11.jpeg

While pushing north towards Ridgway, where key sets in John Wayne's True Grit were filmed in 1969, we grabbed fuel and some drinks. Miles up the road I realized I had left my Red Bull on the rear bumper. I pulled over and found it still very nice and cool.
2022-10-07_14.14.24.jpeg

We spent time in Ridgway and even ate at the True Grit Cafe. Later we pulled into Ouray, Colorado, and was surprised to realize there were not many free camping sites in the area. We drive higher and to the south and found some trails leading west. Back a few miles we spotted a primitive camping area with a fire ring. It was getting late and although we were around 10k feet of elevation and it was sure to drop into the mid-20s, we set up camp and enjoyed the sound of the nearby creek.
2022-10-08_10.36.42.jpeg

Early the next day we drive south into Silverton, Colorado, for breakfast and a walk. The season was over so most of the restaurants and shops were closed but we only needed to find one and we were successful.
2022-10-08_11.51.29.jpeg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Just off of the "Million Dollar Highway" that runs between Silverton and Ouray, on the west side, is CR7 that has several campgrounds and also takes you up to Clear Lake. Here is a picture on the spur 815 climbing right at the treeline.
2022-10-08_14.20.13.jpeg

On the same trail you can enjoy the view of the valley below during the climb. There are a dozen or so switchbacks and much of the road is made up of fist sized or slightly larger rocks so unless you air down, the ride will be slow and rough. This was a great test of my tie-down system for my ZARGES K470s and I was impressed at how well the system worked. The 2" straps held them in place and they may have shifted a fraction of an inch or so.
2022-10-08_14.22.12.jpeg

Here we are parked at Clear Lake at the end of the trail. Another adventurer was fly fishing here and actually pulled out a huge Tiger Trout. The lake only looked a few feet deep and I would expect it to freeze over in the winter but this monster trout was there. We walked around for a few hours and enjoyed the high sunlit silence.
2022-10-08_18.54.45.jpeg

Early the next day we departed Silverton and headed towards Durango. After passing through Purgatory, I stopped at Pinkerton Hot Springs to walk and talk and enjoy an early lunch. The water was warm and it was interesting but compared to the boiling springs in Yellowstone, there was no comparison.
2022-10-09_13.55.25.jpeg

And for all of my fellow AEV Prospector lovers - here in Silverton is a special hotel specifically built for us to enjoy. :)
2022-10-08_22.21.18.jpeg

jsalbre

Reaction score
Man your adventures make me jealous, and realize that I haven’t been getting out enough lately.

I spent some time out in that area during 2020. The million dollar highway is something else! It was interesting towing a 32’ Airstream over it.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Dropped down into Durango and spent some time enjoying this western city. I crossed paths with Chris Shontz from Venture4WD at Fired Up Pizza and was planning to thank him for his inspirational videos. Although we were a few feet away, we were both busy, and the timing was just not right. Another time, another place.

Here is a picture of the historic Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad passing in back of the iconic Strater Hotel.
2022-10-09_20.12.36.jpeg

Here is the front of the Strater Hotel - the inside will take your breath away.
2022-10-09_20.48.13.jpeg

Fast forward to the next morning - the wind blew me south to New Mexico. Here I am exploring some Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land in the Glade Run Recreation Area.
2022-10-10_13.20.21.jpeg

Here is Aztec Ruins National Monument in Aztec, New Mexico. This site is from around 1100 AD and has over 400 rooms. Some areas are two or three stories tall and represent Chacoan architecture.
2022-10-10_14.39.54.jpeg

This is Angel Peak Scenic Area with awesome dispersed camping available. I will be back for sure.
2022-10-10_17.17.46.jpeg

Out in the high-desert alone, I had to cross a sandy and soggy riverbed. I figured it was time to go big or go home so I maintained 2WD as always. Approximately one centimeter of sand coated the tires and the crossing was soft and slippery. The crossing was approximately 100 meters.
2022-10-10_18.06.40.jpeg

Hiking in Chaco Canyon between rocks the size of tiny homes. My plans were to camp there although the campground was full. I met some really cool people who were also all about exploring and living life. They invited me to their group camping area and although I considered joining my mind was already in Albuquerque. My very late night in ABQ was one for the record books - I could share the details but none would believe it to be true. After a 0300 visit to a nearby Waffle House, I slept exceptionally well that night. Qui audet adipiscitur.
2022-10-10_20.09.45.jpeg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Next stop was spending time in historic downtown Santa Fe, New Mexico. Since it originally began in the early 1600s as a Spanish Colony the downtown has the traditional plaza with many of the buildings displaying Pueblo-style architecture. Arts and culture are big and I had a great time.
2022-10-11_16.17.17.jpeg

Of course, there are vendors selling things on blankets and old ladies believing if they wear it they will look a half-century younger, lol.
2022-10-13_20.44.38.jpeg

And my favorite place to spend hours...the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi.
2022-10-11_17.06.01.jpeg

Lunch was enjoyed in one of the most desirable places to eat in Santa Fe, The Shed. Then next three photos are not mine but are from their web page.
home-slider-slide-1.jpg

The Shed webpage photo.
home-slider-slide-2.jpg

The Shed webpage photo.
home-slider-slide-4.jpg

That night I ventured into the Santa Fe mountains and camped in an area called Holy Ghost. After a good fire was started and the sun dropped I felt good knowing I was the only one for several miles. The sound of the nearby stream filled the air as the temperature dropped into the high 20s. I looked up into the heavens above and though about my family and how much I love them. For the next hour or so I tended to the fire and openly prayed for each one of them.
2022-10-12_09.55.06.jpeg

The next morning I spotted a rafter of turkeys and followed them for a bit. I think they recognized me as a turkey so they were okay with me being so close, lol.
2022-10-12_11.48.34.jpeg

Exploring Pecos Valley early in the morning and climbing up towards Iron Gate.
2022-10-12_11.46.49.jpeg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Did you know that Boise City, Oklahoma, was bombed during WWII? While following the Santa Fe Trail east, I stopped in to visit the small town.
2022-10-12_18.17.54.jpeg

I recently spent the night camping near Shores Lake, in Ozark National Forest, in Arkansas. It it a small campground in the forest and very nice overall.
2022-10-14_12.27.34.jpeg

Trees in Ozark National Forest. I spoke with a local adventurer and he stated they had not had rain in over a month. He also stated it was impacting the fall coloration of many trees.
2022-10-13_20.42.51.jpeg

Sometimes you discover interesting situations deep in the forest, like disappearing roads. This is on FR-1003 just southeast of White Rock Mountain.
2022-10-14_12.28.37.jpeg

Here is a picture from the top of White Rock Mountain in the Ozark National Forest - you can see approximately one-hundred miles from here. Thirty miles to the left is Clarksville, fifteen miles dead ahead is Ozark, and thirty-five miles to the right is Fort Smith.
2022-10-14_12.29.14.jpeg

GPurcell01

Reaction score
If you're still in New Mexico you need to check out Borrego Mesa. We ride ATV's in many of the areas you were at. Lots of opportunities to get off the beaten path.

Depending on the direction you're headed, go to Las Vegas NM and explore Indian Head. Unfortunately I'm not sure what it looks like after the fires but a very good family friend is part owner of Indian Head Ranch.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
What keeps me warm when sleeping in the wilderness? These bags are around a decade old but still function very well. They were purchased for hiking, eventually used for overlanding in my Jeep TJ, and now are at home in my AEV Prospector and Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper combo.

If you are serious about keeping comfortable spend time and do you own research. Talk with people who sleep in bags all the time. Years ago, I lived in a tent for over three years and these bags were used every night with very few exceptions during the summer. If you demand top performance, prepare to pay top dollar. Buy goose down...good goose down. It's not all the same. If these bags were purchased for overlanding and not hiking I may have made some different choices since weight and size is not quite as critical in a one-ton rig. When hiking and backpacking, ounces add up to pounds and pounds equal pain. Here is some of my gear.

Both my bags are Mountain Hard Wear. There are many other good companies and choices but these worked for me a decade ago hiking sections of the AT and they still do fine today.
2022-10-11_22.49.12.jpeg

This is my three season bag - it is used the most.
2022-10-11_22.49.38.jpeg

This is my winter bag for when the temperatures really drop. I have spent nights in this bag down to 12° F and was comfortable. Keep in mind that the temperature advertised does not necessarily represent comfort. Add around 10° F for men and maybe 15° F for women and you are in the comfort zone. If you sleep in a base layer you can add around 10° F back into your calculation.
2022-10-11_22.48.44.jpeg

If you are spending good money on good bags pick up a roll of Tenacious Tape Repair Tape and have it available so when you do tear the bag you can repair it immediately and save the down. This repair is from 7-8 years ago and still holds as good as the first day of the repair.
2022-10-11_22.50.10.jpeg

Here is another repair from a down jacket that has been work so frequently the name has been worn off the front. This is maybe a 6-7 year old repair.
2022-10-11_22.50.34.jpeg

Interesting turn of events. I was in the Ozark National Forest and bumped into a girl who asked if I was attending the overland event nearby. I pulled out my map and she pointed me to an around around an hour away. I explored a bit more and headed over late Friday afternoon to join the 2022 Rendezvous in the Ozarks. I have been having a great time and have met many cool people here.
2022-10-14_19.02.29.jpeg

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
What keeps me warm when sleeping in the wilderness? These bags are around a decade old but still function very well. They were purchased for hiking, eventually used for overlanding in my Jeep TJ, and now are at home in my AEV Prospector and Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper combo.

If you are serious about keeping comfortable spend time and do you own research. Talk with people who sleep in bags all the time. Years ago, I lived in a tent for over three years and these bags were used every night with very few exceptions during the summer. If you demand top performance, prepare to pay top dollar. Buy goose down...good goose down. It's not all the same. If these bags were purchased for overlanding and not hiking I may have made some different choices since weight and size is not quite as critical in a one-ton rig. When hiking and backpacking, ounces add up to pounds and pounds equal pain. Here is some of my gear.

Both my bags are Mountain Hard Wear. There are many other good companies and choices but these worked for me a decade ago hiking sections of the AT and they still do fine today.
View attachment 45613

This is my three season bag - it is used the most.
View attachment 45614

This is my winter bag for when the temperatures really drop. I have spent nights in this bag down to 12° F and was comfortable. Keep in mind that the temperature advertised does not necessarily represent comfort. Add around 10° F for men and maybe 15° F for women and you are in the comfort zone. If you sleep in a base layer you can add around 10° F back into your calculation.
View attachment 45615

If you are spending good money on good bags pick up a roll of Tenacious Tape Repair Tape and have it available so when you do tear the bag you can repair it immediately and save the down. This repair is from 7-8 years ago and still holds as good as the first day of the repair.
View attachment 45616

Here is another repair from a down jacket that has been work so frequently the name has been worn off the front. This is maybe a 6-7 year old repair.
View attachment 45617

Interesting turn of events. I was in the Ozark National Forest and bumped into a girl who asked if I was attending the overland event nearby. I pulled out my map and she pointed me to an around around an hour away. I explored a bit more and headed over late Friday afternoon to join the 2022 Rendezvous in the Ozarks. I have been having a great time and have met many cool people here.
View attachment 45618
That repair tape looks great. Funny luck to come across a cool event and I hope the lady was cute as well.

Tell us about the reverse mud roost on the bedside. Did you get yourself stuck? I’m sure you were able to recover it easily with your knowledge, skills and equipment.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
A heavy storm is rolling in so most packed up and departed the event. Just a few of us all weather adventurers remained and one of them was Matt and Cara of Ozark Overland Adventures. They were so kind to invite me to join their group and watch the storm roll in. Matt and Cara are focused on educating and inspiring others to adventure and explore in a safe and responsible manner while having fun and creating memories. Make sure to check out some of their really cool videos.

Here is a picture of the storm rolling in on us. Nature can be simultaneously and beautiful and dangerous.
2022-10-15_20.27.53.jpeg

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips @GPurcell01 - I passed through Las Vegas, New Mexico, a few days ago and am in the Ozarks now. In the future I will return so I will make sure to check out your recommended areas. Thank you!
Lots of gorgeous camping around both. Indian Head is also a great day hike up to the top of the mountain with amazing views.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
This past weekend I also met Chad from Oklahoma Overland. He had a very interesting story to tell regarding how he lost his Land Cruiser during a "low water" crossing in Oklahoma.

I know exactly what he is talking about when the rear of his vehicle lifted - the same thing happened to me during Hurricane Isabel in 2003. During the storm we were rescuing people trapped down near the York River in Historic Yorktown. My headlights were under water for minutes at a time and when a wave rolled in the rear of my Jeep would lift and yaw to the side. I had an ARB Safari snorkel though so my engine ran fine that entire day.

Here is Chad's story...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
This past weekend I also met Chad from Oklahoma Overland. He had a very interesting story to tell regarding how he lost his Land Cruiser during a "low water" crossing in Oklahoma.

I know exactly what he is talking about when the rear of his vehicle lifted - the same thing happened to me during Hurricane Isabel in 2003. During the storm we were rescuing people trapped down near the York River in Historic Yorktown. My headlights were under water for minutes at a time and when a wave rolled in the rear of my Jeep would lift and yaw to the side. I had an ARB Safari snorkel though so my engine ran fine that entire day.

Here is Chad's story...

I floated a Bronco through a River crossing once. Came out 100yds downstream but managed to stay out of the really deep stuff. Saw others start out too far down or crossing impatiently from the other direction and going around us instead of waiting end up not so lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread