Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram HD Builds and orders - Post and discuss your TRUCK order here! ** NEW USERS READ POST #1 **

Scubaz66

Reaction score
I agree with your synopsis regarding using the word "Scam" instead of "Business Model" Regardless!! "NO ONE" will finance a consumer for 36-72 months interest free regardless of what method was utilized to come to a price agreement. I used the word "Scam" not out of context, but as a general identification as to how the "manufacturers" utilize methods to deceive the consumers. I'll use Walmart as an example: They use the "Roll Back Prices" method to make consumers think they are providing a great deal when in fact "They" like most businesses are in business to make a profit.

The reason for my post was not to belittle the auto industry, but to educate the buyers to educate themselves on what obstacles to think about when planning to spend $60-$100K on an automobile. Do your research!! (not directed specifically at you) This Forum is an AWESOME tool for the individual thinking about purchasing a new automobile. Lots of educated people on this site helping others navigate the automobile purchase price from understanding the MSRP, Dealer Invoice, Friends and Family Pricing, Dealer Hold Back and where to purchase to get the best deal and the list goes on.......

This is my last post on this subject because it is my personal opinion regarding the subject and we all have our opinions. I'm not interested in ticking off Brutal H0.
Staying off topic as I promised however, since the subject has come up regarding automobile pricing I thought I'd provide some useful tactics for understanding automobile purchasing terminology. I may have posted this a few hundred pages back, but here is my synopsis of the terminology. These are only my opinions or actual numbers based on previous purchases and extensive research. Please keep in mind I'm retired AF and not wealthy, so I must spend wisely. I don't have the same liberty as those with wealth. If money is no object spend to your hearts content, but if you're on a budget a little research goes a long way in obtaining happiness. Trust Me! When that RAM Truck arrives, you'll be the happiest person on the block and grinning from ear to ear!!

MSRP: I think everyone understands this. Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. An inflated price to gain the most profit on the product and usually inline with other like products. IE, GM Products vs RAM products.

Dealer Invoice: What the dealership pays the manufacturer for the automobile. Roughly 11-12% below MSRP

FWP is Factory Wholesale Price. Roughly 7% below MSRP

FFP is Friends and Family Pricing. Roughly 8% below MSRP

EP is Employee Pricing. Roughly 11% below MSRP

Dealer Hold Back is. An amount manufacturer returns to a dealer after the auto has been sold. If I recall these are Factory Incentives to encourage the dealer to sell as many autos as possible. Dealer Hold Back on my $60K RAM Big Horn was approximately $1750.00. Therefore if the dealer sold you the vehicle for Dealer Invoice they still make $1750 on the sale. Not bad for a few hours of work.

Now let's talk about BDI or Below Dealer Invoice. Yes! It is possible to purchase a vehicle below Dealer Invoice as I did using a Tread Lightly Incentive where I was able to purchase my truck at 1% below Dealer Invoice. I was also lucky enough to obtain an additional $500 deduction using Pentagon Federal Credit Union since I'm a member.

I hope the above information will help those members who are still researching and planning to purchase a new RAM Truck. The above information is readily available on the World Wide Web. Given the above information I was able to purchase and save right at 8K under MSRP.

I used this savings to purchase new, wheels, tires, toneau, cover, weatherproof mats, nerf bars, armor truck bed coating,
tinted windows, wind deflectors, fender flares and a personalized dash mat.

OH! I'm grinning from ear to ear every time I drive it through town. It defiantly turns heads......

762fmj

Reaction score
My understanding is that rates are going up in an effort to counter balance inflation?!? None of it makes sense to me, but what do I know, I am just the village idiot ;)
That's the THEORY. But realistically if they're going to curb inflation with rising rates they'll have to do it so high so fast that the country will lose it's collective mind. But hey what do I know? I'm a fellow idiot.

762fmj

Reaction score
I was really happy with Koons in Tysons Corner VA. Hard to understand the pricing but they were WAY under the price my local NC dealers were willing to order. And of course the truck is a beauty. Thanks to this Forum for helping us find Koons. Feb. to July!

View attachment 41685

I ordered from MD, but I got my Jeep from Craig at Koons 5 years ago and it was pretty painless.

Arel11

Reaction score
I was really happy with Koons in Tysons Corner VA. Hard to understand the pricing but they were WAY under the price my local NC dealers were willing to order. And of course the truck is a beauty. Thanks to this Forum for helping us find Koons. Feb. to July!

View attachment 41685
I ordered from Koons as well. Will hopefully be picking up soon. Glad you had a good experience!

pacnw1963

Reaction score
My understanding is that rates are going up in an effort to counter balance inflation?!? None of it makes sense to me, but what do I know, I am just the village idiot ;)

Historically: inflation triggers rate increase, rate increase triggers recession, recession triggers…and the vicious cycle continues. Or maybe not, didn’t I see we were redefining “recession”? :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

pacnw1963

Reaction score
Staying off topic as I promised however, since the subject has come up regarding automobile pricing I thought I'd provide some useful tactics for understanding automobile purchasing terminology. I may have posted this a few hundred pages back, but here is my synopsis of the terminology. These are only my opinions or actual numbers based on previous purchases and extensive research. Please keep in mind I'm retired AF and not wealthy, so I must spend wisely. I don't have the same liberty as those with wealth. If money is no object spend to your hearts content, but if you're on a budget a little research goes a long way in obtaining happiness. Trust Me! When that RAM Truck arrives, you'll be the happiest person on the block and grinning from ear to ear!!

MSRP: I think everyone understands this. Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. An inflated price to gain the most profit on the product and usually inline with other like products. IE, GM Products vs RAM products.

Dealer Invoice: What the dealership pays the manufacturer for the automobile. Roughly 11-12% below MSRP

FWP is Factory Wholesale Price. Roughly 7% below MSRP

FFP is Friends and Family Pricing. Roughly 8% below MSRP

EP is Employee Pricing. Roughly 11% below MSRP

Dealer Hold Back is. An amount manufacturer returns to a dealer after the auto has been sold. If I recall these are Factory Incentives to encourage the dealer to sell as many autos as possible. Dealer Hold Back on my $60K RAM Big Horn was approximately $1750.00. Therefore if the dealer sold you the vehicle for Dealer Invoice they still make $1750 on the sale. Not bad for a few hours of work.

Now let's talk about BDI or Below Dealer Invoice. Yes! It is possible to purchase a vehicle below Dealer Invoice as I did using a Tread Lightly Incentive where I was able to purchase my truck at 1% below Dealer Invoice. I was also lucky enough to obtain an additional $500 deduction using Pentagon Federal Credit Union since I'm a member.

I hope the above information will help those members who are still researching and planning to purchase a new RAM Truck. The above information is readily available on the World Wide Web. Given the above information I was able to purchase and save right at 8K under MSRP.

I used this savings to purchase new, wheels, tires, toneau, cover, weatherproof mats, nerf bars, armor truck bed coating,
tinted windows, wind deflectors, fender flares and a personalized dash mat.

OH! I'm grinning from ear to ear every time I drive it through town. It defiantly turns heads......
That explains how MD is doing so well and making bank! They sold 500+ vehicles last month, and using just your $1,750 dealer kick back, they are still grossing $875,000 for the month! Awesome business model!!!

Redmille

Reaction score
Finally got an update from my dealer today that my truck is scheduled to start proudction on date of 8/22, I know after that, it may be another long wait time, but it's moved forward.
I feel ya, looks like I ordered a similar truck as you the day after you 4/20. And I am still D status.

762fmj

Reaction score
Did they remove the wheel to wheel steps from longhorns? Ordered 5/17 and don't see them on my window sticker.
In case anyone was wondering, the chrome steps are not listed on the sticker on a Longhorn per Sandi. Strange imo since it lists the bed liner. But all is well, had a mini panic over nothing!

matemike

Reaction score
Couple more photos from The Detailers Detail ceramic coating guy.

Attachments

• BDD297BB-3E0C-48C7-9D01-630B5ACCDA0C.jpeg
    BDD297BB-3E0C-48C7-9D01-630B5ACCDA0C.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 5C146FD4-1E59-46C1-ACDC-13262E90E895.jpeg
    5C146FD4-1E59-46C1-ACDC-13262E90E895.jpeg
    473.9 KB · Views: 59

Burger

Reaction score
Well everybody, my truck is available in St. Robert Missouri for anybody who wants it. Couldn’t get any comps for the damaged fender and tired of dealing with them. Up for grabs whoever wants it

Ktm2smoker

Reaction score
I wonder if large volume dealers get a lower invoice price or a larger kickback?

I showed my offer to a local dealer and they said 'theyre not allowed to do that'. I just wanted them to match it or come within a few hundred dollars and I'd stay local. I had to walk because at the time the MSRP was 86+ and my online offer from Kernersville was 79500 (my daughter is close enough to get within the 300 mile free shipping). Kernersville is taking care of all my Maryland tax/tag/title stuff for $145 so over it's just too easy. I think the dealers willing to jump into online orders are going to thrive even if they don't get the follow-up business.

Ktm2smoker

Reaction score
Well everybody, my truck is available in St. Robert Missouri for anybody who wants it. Couldn’t get any comps for the damaged fender and tired of dealing with them. Up for grabs whoever wants it
Swill, that's horrible.

Ktm2smoker

Reaction score
OK, RAM app question as my truck sits at the dealership getting in processed.

Check out these screenshots. What are those 87.6 'miles' above the fuel guage? Doesn't match up with the odometer (19). Are those the 'RAM miles' on that strange trial offer?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220727-181449.png
    Screenshot_20220727-181449.png
    63 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20220727-181435.png
    Screenshot_20220727-181435.png
    361.2 KB · Views: 43

Arel11

Reaction score

Check out these screenshots. What are those 87.6 'miles' above the fuel guage? Doesn't match up with the odometer (19). Are those the 'RAM miles' on that strange trial offer?
Probably miles to empty. How did you get the app to work without the truck? I just called Ram Connect and they told me they can't do it until it gets to the dealer. It's sitting in a rail yard.

Ktm2smoker

Reaction score
It made it to the dealer late last week, they activated it and all of a sudden it worked. I doubt that's miles to empty if it says tank full...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220727-202447.png
    Screenshot_20220727-202447.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 13

Nealy065

Reaction score

I have the same app downloaded for my wife’s Durango it’s Miles to empty…I’m guessing since it hasn’t been driven hardly at all, the average mpg hasn’t updated to help calculate it or something…that’s at least my best guess.

Ktm2smoker

Reaction score
So basically it'll sort itself out now that it's out of shipping mode. Just needs driven!

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread