Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad shock on new 2021 2500

parsonj

Reaction score
I ordered my 2021 RAM 2500 CTD in February. It came in right on time, 10 weeks later in April. I noticed an odd small fluid leak on my driveway in August after my first service. Thought it might be from a spill during the oil change that ran down the frame. But, it was a real lightweight lubricant. Noticed it again and crawled under the truck and saw it was coming from rear shock.
Took it into dealer first week in Sep. Confirmed it was the shock. The replacement shock has been on order 8 weeks. In two weeks it will have taken longer to get 1 replacement shock than it took to get the whole truck!
In the meantime, I don't have a HD anything.
Anyone else having problems with the OEM shocks?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I ordered my 2021 RAM 2500 CTD in February. It came in right on time, 10 weeks later in April. I noticed an odd small fluid leak on my driveway in August after my first service. Thought it might be from a spill during the oil change that ran down the frame. But, it was a real lightweight lubricant. Noticed it again and crawled under the truck and saw it was coming from rear shock.
Took it into dealer first week in Sep. Confirmed it was the shock. The replacement shock has been on order 8 weeks. In two weeks it will have taken longer to get 1 replacement shock than it took to get the whole truck!
In the meantime, I don't have a HD anything.
Anyone else having problems with the OEM shocks?
Are they holding the truck while waiting for a shock?

MtnRider

Reaction score
First shock issue I have heard of on a new truck so it's definitely not common. And welcome to the "new normal" as far as waiting for parts, pretty much everything is behind and back ordered right now.

If you really need the truck you could get a set of after market shocks? Yes it would come out of your pocket but ~$200 for a set of good Bilstein's and you are back on the road. Maybe even contact ramcares and see if they will pay for that option? May not but it doesn't hurt to ask.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
First shock issue I have heard of on a new truck so it's definitely not common. And welcome to the "new normal" as far as waiting for parts, pretty much everything is behind and back ordered right now.

If you really need the truck you could get a set of after market shocks? Yes it would come out of your pocket but ~$200 for a set of good Bilstein's and you are back on the road. Maybe even contact ramcares and see if they will pay for that option? May not but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Ram does have a bilstein option on the PW and offroad pkg they may be able to do that easy

parsonj

Reaction score

I'm driving it, but limiting my loads and hauling. Still a problem and not good for a lot of reasons.
My service rep finally escalated this to the regional service guy to try to get authorization to use an after market shock. Supposed to hear back tomorrow.
I probably will go with new Bilsteins to get it done either way and escalate things myself if he doesn't get a positive response

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
You can drive your truck with one bad shock in the rear. I have had to do it for a while.

(Edit: Looks like we posted at the same time LOL)

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
@RamCares - any assistance? Seems insane to wait this long for a single replacement shock.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm driving it, but limiting my loads and hauling. Still a problem and not good for a lot of reasons.
My service rep finally escalated this to the regional service guy to try to get authorization to use an after market shock. Supposed to hear back tomorrow.
I probably will go with new Bilsteins to get it done either way and escalate things myself if he doesn't get a positive response
Why limit the load its not going to make a difference other than the rebound after hitting a bump….

parsonj

Reaction score
Yep, all of the load bearing is on the coils.
Others have said the same. I've dealt with worn shocks before. Probably over-cautious with new truck and all. I've got an opportunity coming up this week. Hauling cattle cubes. Will maybe go max payload and see how it rides.

red

Reaction score
I took my 2020 3500 into the dealer about three weeks ago for a leaking front shock. At the time, they said the shock was backordered 6-8 weeks. Surprisingly, they called yesterday saying the shock had arrived. I'll be taking it in tomorrow morning to have it installed.

parsonj

Reaction score
I took my 2020 3500 into the dealer about three weeks ago for a leaking front shock. At the time, they said the shock was backordered 6-8 weeks. Surprisingly, they called yesterday saying the shock had arrived. I'll be taking it in tomorrow morning to have it installed.
Good for you! Today's report was eta Nov 11 for my shock. The eta has been extended twice. Nov 11 would be over 9 weeks, but no one has any confidence in even that date. I have air leveling suspension in rear and it is a different shock than the one used for standard suspensions. Maybe they don't make as many. Who knows?

Camper99

Reaction score
My 2021 3500 with about 10,000 miles has a leaking front shock. I noticed a couple of oil spots in the garage last weekend. They were not there the week before.

I have a service appointment set for later this month to deal with the grid heater relay recall and plan to embark on the shock replacement journey at that appointment as well.

parsonj

Reaction score
My 2021 3500 with about 10,000 miles has a leaking front shock. I noticed a couple of oil spots in the garage last weekend. They were not there the week before.

I have a service appointment set for later this month to deal with the grid heater relay recall and plan to embark on the shock replacement journey at that appointment as well.
Hope the journey is short.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
If you're anywhere around Colorado, I have the OEM shocks that I removed from my 2020 with about 1200 miles on them. They have about a year's worth of dust on them from sitting in the garage, but I'd happily pass them along.

parsonj

Reaction score
If you're anywhere around Colorado, I have the OEM shocks that I removed from my 2020 with about 1200 miles on them. They have about a year's worth of dust on them from sitting in the garage, but I'd happily pass them along.
Thanks. I'm in Texas. Apparently there's a different shock for the trucks with factory air suspension than trucks with standard suspension. I have air suspension. If your truck came with factory rear air suspension I may be in touch depending on what I hear from dealer today.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm in Texas. Apparently there's a different shock for the trucks with factory air suspension than trucks with standard suspension. I have air suspension. If your truck came with factory rear air suspension I may be in touch depending on what I hear from dealer today.
Unfortunately mine isn't the factory air. I wanted to add aftermarket bags, so ordered without.

madmat

Reaction score
I'm also waiting on a shock for my truck with 10000Km. I have the bilsteins from the offroad package. Its been about 5 weeks now and im told approx another 5weeks till it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread