Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Tires upgrade from Transforce

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I thought it would be best to put it in the towing section and ask what tires most are going to from the TransForce tires for towing a 5th wheel, If a mod wants to move it that's alright.

I have a 2022 3500 on order and I had some Cooper ST Maxx 275/70/18 on my 2015 3500 and liked them except when you changed lanes in just the truck, the truck tended to oscillate from the center from side wall flex a few times until it settled down. That's the only thing I did not like about them.

Your thoughts on what tires you all have had good luck with.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Before anyone ask why not just run the TransForce tires, I need to take the new TransForce tires from the 2022 and install them on my 2019 so I can sell it as currently my 2019 has 20k on the original TransForce tires that will be shot by the time the 2022 shows up.

suber81083

Reaction score
The transforce tires are already shot at 20k? I have the HTs on my 2019 and 23k on it and they don’t look like there half way worn out. Anyway when mine wear out I’m gonna get an AT tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gkockrow

Reaction score
The transforce tires are already shot at 20k? I have the HTs on my 2019 and 23k on it and they don’t look like there half way worn out. Anyway when mine wear out I’m gonna get an AT tire.

My transforce tires on my 2017 barely made 27000 miles. Cooper ATs may make 40000. Will see. We tow 10000 lbs about half of miles driven.

Sponge60

Reaction score
Thinking about changing to General Grabber AT / X. Had them on a F350 and liked them. Seemed to handle our fifth wheel just fine.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Im really liking the cooper at3 ltx i have 20k km on them (12k miles) they are at about 3/4 tread with plowing and heavy towing i am hoping for about 80k km (50k miles) but we shall see

but my usual go to is Goodyear Duratracs i tend to get 60k miles from a set and they are great for plowing and anything i throw at them

Highcountry

Reaction score
I'm planning to wear out the stockers first, but can't wait to get Cooper ST-Maxx. I had them on my last truck and loved them.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Mine were 1/2 worn at 9500km (6k ish miles)

Thompsre08

Reaction score
Cooper AT3 XLT's lasted me 55,000 on my 4th gen that i just sold. I'll either put those on my 2022 or try the Cooper Rugged Terrains. I used to be a Toyo guy but Cooper has far surpassed my expectations.

suber81083

Reaction score
but my usual go to is Goodyear Duratracs i tend to get 60k miles from a set and they are great for plowing and anything i throw at them

I’ve looked at the duratracs and think they would be a good tire but just haven’t heard much about them and I don’t think they have a mileage warranty like the KO2’s do. But good to hear they last a while.

Thompsre08

Reaction score
I’ve looked at the duratracs and think they would be a good tire but just haven’t heard much about them and I don’t think they have a mileage warranty like the KO2’s do. But good to hear they last a while.

The duratracs are really loud if noise of MT style tires bugs you. I had them on a tundra and hated them because of the noise.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I'm planning to wear out the stockers first, but can't wait to get Cooper ST-Maxx. I had them on my last truck and loved them.
Did you get that side wall flex that would oscillate the truck a few times like it was rotating in the center when changing lanes then would settle out like I did on my 2015 3500 or have they fixed that since I had them. Other than that I loved my Cooper ST Maxx tires.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

They have a 50k millage rating, they have been out for over 15 years tons of people run them here in Canada…. I have seen some people who don't tow much get 150k km (93k miles) out of them they are just a wonderful tire, i will be going back to them when my coopers wear out
The duratracs are really loud if noise of MT style tires bugs you. I had them on a tundra and hated them because of the noise.
They are pretty quiet I dont know how you can find them loud. They are about the same noise level as most A/T tires….

suber81083

Reaction score
They have a 50k millage rating, they have been out for over 15 years tons of people run them here in Canada…. I have seen some people who don't tow much get 150k km (93k miles) out of them they are just a wonderful tire, i will be going back to them when my coopers wear out

They are pretty quiet I dont know how you can find them loud. They are about the same noise level as most A/T tires….

Good to hear thank you!

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I had issues with the Firestone Transforce tires on my 2013 RAM 2500 while towing my 12K 5th wheel camper. The rear tires would heat up quickly and exceed the display TPMS on the dash. There were at 80 PSI, and could not handle the load of the camper. I was 300-500 under the axle rating while towing. I didnot have any issues with the Michelins I put on. I got 65k on the Michelins, towing about 40% of the time.

Currently have the stock tires on my 2020 RAM 3500 dually. I will probably go to Michelins after the stockers wear out.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I had issues with the Firestone Transforce tires on my 2013 RAM 2500 while towing my 12K 5th wheel camper. The rear tires would heat up quickly and exceed the display TPMS on the dash. There were at 80 PSI, and could not handle the load of the camper. I was 300-500 under the axle rating while towing. I didnot have any issues with the Michelins I put on. I got 65k on the Michelins, towing about 40% of the time.

Currently have the stock tires on my 2020 RAM 3500 dually. I will probably go to Michelins after the stockers wear out.
I wish michelin would make a mor aggressive A/T tire they are a great brand

Thompsre08

Reaction score

That was definitely not my experience. They were as loud as toyo MT's and Nitto Trail Grapplers ive had in the past. They howled. Maybe i had a bad batch but i was not impressed.

cdurbin

Reaction score

From the factory my Ford Raptor had the KO2’s. I actually swapped them out to Duratracs as it’s what I ran on my first Raptor. Significant improvement.

The KO2s were shot at 35000 miles and that’s rotating the full size spare in every 5K miles

Highcountry

Reaction score
Did you get that side wall flex that would oscillate the truck a few times like it was rotating in the center when changing lanes then would settle out like I did on my 2015 3500 or have they fixed that since I had them. Other than that I loved my Cooper ST Maxx tires.
I never experienced that, but I was running them on a totally different type of truck ( 89 F250 ext cab with 460) and I wasn't towing anything very heavy. I did have some heavy loads in the back though and never felt anything strange

Users who are viewing this thread