Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel Hop Issues

Greenhills

Reaction score
Since some of you guys use your Power Wagons as intended, looking for a little advice..

Finally got out in some decent snow (14-18" or so) and was experiencing some pretty significant wheel hop. I was aired down to mid 20's, 4 wheel High.. rear locked or unlocked didn't seem to make much difference. TC off of course.

If i'm really ginger and babying the throttle, i can navigate decently.. but under any real throttle application, it felt like i had put a cinderblock in a washing machine.

I have read that the Carli suspension system fixes or significantly reduces the issue, but i'm not about to drop 5k+ on suspension to fix wheel hop.

Truck is on 37's on stock suspension currently.

Any suggestions on how to reduce the wheel hop ?

adamsmith655

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Thuren rear track bar?

I’ve heard that may help fix wheel hop type issues and it’s something I’m considering for PW when it gets here.

Wobly

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Thuren rear track bar?

I’ve heard that may help fix wheel hop type issues and it’s something I’m considering for PW when it gets here.
I have the Thuren rear track bar. It works great for what it is supposed to do, but I don't think it does anything for wheel hop. To be clear, when I am talking about wheel hop, I mean when you are on a loose surface and lose traction. The rear wheels will bounce up and down until you let off the accelerator. The Thuren rear track bar does a great job of changing the Left/Up bounce to straight-up and down.

mkmsr

Reaction score
Good luck. Everything I've owned with coil springs would hop and shake the crap out of the vehicle. Seems to be the norm.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

2powerwagons

Reaction score
Chains and more weight in the bed.

Every power wagon I have owned has wheel hopped in deep, wet snow. Especially when the bed is empty. Doesn't matter if it was the 3G with leaf springs or the newer coils.

MtnRider

Reaction score
^ There is your answer.. A little weight in the bed will help. The Carli rear track bar will not help with wheel hop, it helps (supposedly) rear "wag" (the side to side shifting).

stickshifter

Reaction score
In my experience, it is not the coil springs, but the solid axles. I had wicked wheel hop in my CJ-7 with solid axles, but leaf springs. Check out this very short video of a Jeep Wrangler with front-end wheel hop in the snow. Of course, this Jeep has coil springs (not leaf springs), but is this what you have going on?

Having said that, I do think that upgrading suspension on a solid axle rig can reduce wheel hop. I'm sure those trick shocks built by King, that Carli uses in their Pintop system, paired with the Carli springs would eliminate most wheel hop. But I hear you - those are expensive suspensions. Maybe give the guys at CJC Off Road a call and ask if they have any recommendations that don't involve dropping 5K on a high-end Carli system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread