Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Cargo Bed Lights Wiring ?????

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Can you hook up an oscilloscope to see if it is putting out a PWM frequency? Or maybe there is just a pull down resistor on it? I think you ruled that out when you Ohmed it out though.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you hook up an oscilloscope to see if it is putting out a PWM frequency? Or maybe there is just a pull down resistor on it? I think you ruled that out when you Ohmed it out though.

Weather permitting, I can drag my spare scope out to the garage if anyone thinks that would help.

Not sure they're using PWM on the input side and there wouldn't be any on the output on LED.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Do you have any way to check it other than continuity?

Like an ESR meter?

How hard is it to pull that switch from the bed? I have an ESR meter here as well as some other test gear I might be able to figure something out. But it's 14F here and supposed to snow and no garage big enough to stay warm.

Do we know what is on the wire side? Power/LIN/GND, etc. ?
I don’t have one of those. I do have access to a scope at work, but they won’t let me take it out of here, and I don’t think it would be useful for this.
The switch is held in by four tabs that you access from the backside of the bed panel by squeezing the tabs.
Here’s the whole bed lights/ switch circuit-
MlrcB1U.jpg

2mXPB71.jpg

qudMHYM.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks simple enough (mostly) but I believe the LED's timeout even when using the bed switch so it must only be momentary and not latching. Maybe trying to use latching switches are what's messing people up?

Are you sure the switch you have is good?

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the combination, but more than once I've turned mine on using the bed switch, loaded something up, then miles down the road realize they're still on.

Now that I've tied in the extra strips under the rails and along the roof of my shell, I don't think I'd ever have it happen, but prior to, it was much easier.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the combination, but more than once I've turned mine on using the bed switch, loaded something up, then miles down the road realize they're still on.

Now that I've tied in the extra strips under the rails and along the roof of my shell, I don't think I'd ever have it happen, but prior to, it was much easier.

I recall what I was experiencing was with the truck off, key out of the cabin, working in the bed, they kept timing out. A subsequent press of the bed switch turned them back on... for a while.

Frank

Reaction score
I recall what I was experiencing was with the truck off, key out of the cabin, working in the bed, they kept timing out. A subsequent press of the bed switch turned them back on... for a while.

Isn't that what you want it to do? Same as cargo lights, you want them on long enough to do your work but not stay on all day by accident. If it times out click the button again.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't that what you want it to do? Same as cargo lights, you want them on long enough to do your work but not stay on all day by accident. If it times out click the button again.

The timeout is way too short and not adjustable or can be overridden, so that's my gripe.

The engineer in me thinks if the fob is reachable by the truck, they should stay on.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
My plan is to add lighting to the back of the truck on this circuit. I want to be able to hit the cargo light button on the headlight switch and have extra lighting for backing up the trailer. Another scenario is unloading or strapping down and being able to hit the cargo light button and light up the back area.

I want to run a relay and use the beige/white cargo light + wires as the signal wire to the relay to bring power to the area lighting which will likely be Baja designs s1 or s2 work lights

Frank

Reaction score
Response from FCA:

"FCA does not recommend modifying or altering of the vehicle, therefore, we do not have the specification you seek. I can only refer you to the dealer for assistance who would install the parts."

Sounds like my next step is the parts desk guy at my local dealership. He's pretty knowledgeable about custom applications that work with the computers, maybe he will be able to get us an answer.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Cargo light wiring is the 2 pin white and tan wire with black ground.

E2E789E3-725C-4A6C-8FA8-B5C2A6015313.jpeg

I used this power source to power my lux magnetic rock lights (thanks @btsbarton ) these little lights just stick to metal and only draw 220mA so they’re not going to be popping any fuses.
They’re much smaller but much brighter than the factory bed leds

5A454335-F625-43B6-8D9C-57AB22F07DB0.jpeg
F8C9583E-8DFC-435D-8D65-15A86FD6A31F.jpeg

E6BE94D0-1857-4882-9E8E-3D4DC9AE1F62.jpeg94F9D52E-694F-4628-8A06-608738DE4281.jpeg

I mounted them up under the bed rail on the bedside where it is angled. This minimizes glare to the eye while providing maximum light into the bed.
85CDDE75-7551-4685-8C40-86C4B2239FC2.jpeg
929D5678-3D55-43E9-9AF9-812B7FC19CBE.jpegE73347D0-ED2E-4C94-B2C0-45CF612DE294.jpeg
4AFFB781-0FC8-44EE-8993-1E41C0797923.jpeg

Last edited:

DeepH20Driller

Reaction score
Cargo light wiring is the 2 pin white and tan wire with black ground.

View attachment 11781

I used this power source to power my lux magnetic rock lights (thanks @btsbarton ) these little lights just stick to metal and only draw 220mA so they’re not going to be popping any fuses.
They’re much smaller but much brighter than the factory bed leds

View attachment 11787
View attachment 11792

View attachment 11782View attachment 11783

I mounted them up under the bed rail on the bedside where it is angled. This minimizes glare to the eye while providing maximum light into the bed.
View attachment 11797
View attachment 11794View attachment 11795
View attachment 11796
Where is this plug located? Thanks

Ramit530

Reaction score
I am glad to find this post, I had posted up awhile back asking for help with the plug assemblies used for the bed lighting.
I see the plug assembly here in this post with a MOPAR part # for the female side, also looking for the male as well and if anyone can help with the manufacture of these connectors ?? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

X-Wrestler

Reaction score
For those of you that have a truck that came with bed lights are you just jumping the wires for the led strips from the existing lights?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
For those of you that have a truck that came with bed lights are you just jumping the wires for the led strips from the existing lights?
Yep. 2x 220mA LEDs won’t hurt that circuit, IMHO.

they function with the button in the bed, or the button on the dash. Factory timeout and Factory dash indicator.

Users who are viewing this thread