Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your gun is poop

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
We’re bored with the black guns?
Ok, fine. Here’s some peanut butter

View attachment 54197

Here comes the jelly.

I have an old school 716 Patrol but it's a heavy mofo. Got about 2+ lbs on the spear LT. Add the can and along optic and it's hefty.

(Photobomb by old Ram for attention)

1680044714072.jpeg

No, it doesn't fit in that little case beside it, that was where the AKM came from. :)

ETA: This might have been the Gen1 that Sig swapped out for an "improved" version that never really was given a "gen" or model # change. Subtle differences, primarily the BCG changed. The early Gen1 wouldn't cycle suppressed and the BCG was biting the lower. Sig replaced the whole rifle after 2 trips back to Sig. This one runs like a singer though it's not as accurate as the first was. I think I got a bum barrel. That said, I haven't gotten it out since I converted my AAC can mounts to something more accurate than their crap QD.

Last edited:

RTillery

Reaction score
I had this old Model 92 in 218 Bee hanging around with my other firearms. My Dad finally gave it to me a few years ago and it was the rifle I shot my first deer with in 1963. Yeah, I'm that old. It had been sitting in a closet or under a bed for decades, and was pretty rough. The barrel was badly pitted, and Dad had taken a saw and a rasp to it to cut it down to fit me when I was a kid. I though about what to do with it and couldn't come up with a plan. I thought about going Lucas McCaan with a big lever, ala Rifleman, but then I came up with the idea of a trapper model.

I took and old benchrest 22 barrel and cut it into an octagon, shortened it to just over 16" and threaded and chambered it to 218 Bee. I was amazed at how complex a Winchester lever action is on the inside. John Moses Browning was a true genius.

An old friend had a couple of pieces of really nice walnut left over from building his own Trap Shotguns and gave them to me. After whittling and carving for a little while, I came up with this:IMG_2340.jpgIMG_2341.jpgIMG_2338.jpg

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Brutal,
What range is that you are shooting at?

BLGC

That was at the 600yd range. Wish we had 1,000 but not looking good due to the existing range layout even though membership has been begging for it for as long as I can recall. I haven't been out since Oct 2021 (I usually get my fix in at a friend's ranch) but I know they are putting in a second "long range" due to increases in competitive events. Several years ago, we put in dedicated competition berms to open up the pistol berms and 50/100yd rifle berms that were often busy on weekends.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I need to reup my fishing license cuz it’s the cheapest way to shoot at the WMA range

It's a hike to get there (46 miles for me), but our range is only $180/yr for a family membership and no restrictions up to and including 50BMG and full auto if you are so inclined. Used to be $120 and a work bond that included chapter meetings credit (or full payment of the bond) but membership voted to change it a few years back. You can get $10/hr for "volunteer" work up to 6 hours/year but really nobody does that.

Current (outgoing) ranch manager is a Vietnam Vet and the leadership as a whole very much not fudds.

RTillery

Reaction score
I belonged to that range when it was still in Palmer Lake and got kicked out onto the prairie, The story was the damn Californians (I used to be one until I escaped) moved in and didn't like the idea of having a shooting range associated with the area. Good folks and memories managing the club back then. Had to be early nineties? I got into shooting competitive benchrest and let that membership slip away. I shoot up at the Weld County fish and wildlive range up by Ault, the Whittington Center, once in a while over in Grand Junction. I also belong to the Cherry Creek underground range in Aurora. The 100 yard rifle tube is kind of nice when the weather is crappy and you can go in there 24 hours a day. Kind of nice to go in at 4 or 5 in the morning and have the place to yourself. Nice pistol ranges there too.

ppine

Reaction score
RTillery,
Do you want to sell your Bee? That is a dandy rifle. As you are probably aware it is among the rarest calibers and very collectable.

waveslayer

Reaction score
Serious question from someone who has built a couple AR platform pews. What is the benefit of the carbon fiber barrel? Is it just a lighter weight barrel? Or does it actually shoot better groupings?
No real benefit other than heat dispersion and POI shift if it gets hot.
They are not lighter

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I belonged to that range when it was still in Palmer Lake and got kicked out onto the prairie, The story was the damn Californians (I used to be one until I escaped) moved in and didn't like the idea of having a shooting range associated with the area. Good folks and memories managing the club back then. Had to be early nineties? I got into shooting competitive benchrest and let that membership slip away. I shoot up at the Weld County fish and wildlive range up by Ault, the Whittington Center, once in a while over in Grand Junction. I also belong to the Cherry Creek underground range in Aurora. The 100 yard rifle tube is kind of nice when the weather is crappy and you can go in there 24 hours a day. Kind of nice to go in at 4 or 5 in the morning and have the place to yourself. Nice pistol ranges there too.

Yea, Palmer Lake wouldn't renew their lease so they told them to shove it (not that they had an option) and bought out a ranch (a whole section) east of Kiowa. Mile marker 39.5 and go south 5 miles. If you get to Ramah, you missed it. LOL

A lot of the same crew still around AFAIK. I took my Conceal Carry class from the former club Pres George W.

When I do get out to BLGC, it's usually during the week and I can often have all if not most of the place to myself. We have a great facility out there and a nice shiny new (well like 10 years new) clubhouse, RV parking w/elec hookups, etc.

RTillery

Reaction score
RTillery,
Do you want to sell your Bee? That is a dandy rifle. As you are probably aware it is among the rarest calibers and very collectable.
Nah, it's completely butchered so collectability is pretty diminished. Yeah, Bee's are pretty rare but a neat little cartridge. Basically a necked down 25-20. That's one thing that bothered me and why I left it as is for so long. Dad had "hand tapped" screw holes and put a side mounted Bushnell scope on it. If you zoom in, you can see where I turned some plugs to fill in the holes in the side. I left the original finish on the action, but that was about all that was salvageable on the old girl. The barrel was shockingly pitted down the bore, and the stock had been shortened. The back of the original cheek piece had been shortened and rounded with a rasp and was pretty ugly. I stripped it down to the action and started over. It is a small 92 so not many choices on calibers so I kept it as a BEE. It was hard to find cases, but now Hornady is producing loaded ammo.

Dinky503

Reaction score
No real benefit other than heat dispersion and POI shift if it gets hot.
They are not lighter

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Equal diameter barrels, one carbon fiber wrapped and one solid steel. The carbon fiber will be absolutely lighter. My carbon fiber barrel is .936 diameter gas block and the wrap is flush to that the whole length of the barrel. standard pencil barrel actually weights more than that by a few ounces. Carbon fiber barrels gives you a bull barrel configuration with minimal barrel flex in the same weight as a pencil barrel. so heat and weight are a benefit, is it worth the premium price probably not, Is it cool and new with some benefits yes.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Uncle and cousin who live in the area have told me of a few stores, just reaching out to see if there are any other recommendations.
Cousin said pawn shops, so I'll probably hit up a few.
Uncle took me to Mark Forte who has a few I liked. But I got in a little trouble has they have a Gatlin gun that is legal to own. :rolleyes:
But I might have to get a part time job to buy it. $4500.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Any transferable MG on the registry is legal to own if you got the coin and do the paper.

Contrary to what your CIC says, you can also own a cannon. You can't own an ar-14. :rolleyes:

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
why can't you own an AR-14?

Never looked into it before as the AR doesn't really interest me. I'm more of an old west style gun.

Ok, just looked it up. Its a semi auto sporting rifle like the browning. Didn't get much traction so may be hard to find.

But thanks to mindless joe, he's going to ban them so I can't buy one. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread