Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your gun is poop

waveslayer

Reaction score
It is a 6mmPPC. That's a case that is based on a .220 Russian case and dominates short range benchrest. It is neck turned and fireformed to hold around 29-30 grains of powder. VihtaVuori 133 is the most common. We usually shoot a 65-68 grain bullet at around 33-3400 feet a second.

This is an "Unlimited Rail" gun I built and a home-made single shot action. The action is 17-4 stainless and has been "nitrided" by a buddy that runs a crankshaft shop. The bolt is 4140 Chrome Moly. It is a single shot, right bolt, left loading port with an ejector port on the right. When the bolt is pulled back, the empty case flies out the right, and a fresh round is tossed in from the left. Very quick to fire for a single shot. We can get 10 shots on record in under 20 seconds if the wind holds. The barrel blank is an 1.450" diameter Krieger with a 13.5 twist. Threaded and chambered in my old lathe in my basement. Nighteforce 42X scope with a .090"dot.

The return to battery base is two pieces and weighs about 70 llbs. The top slides back on "rails" to absorb the recoil and is pushed back to battery for the next shot. The barrel is mounted in a barrel block and the action free-floats. The trigger is a 2 ounce Jewell. There are elevation and windage adjustments to get on target and adjust point of aim as the "condition" changes while firing a group. There is a "cam" mechanism that allows you to go from the "sighter" target to the "record" target with just a flip of a lever.

It's a heavy beast but a lot of fun to shoot. Not much will beat them for just pounding bullets down range into the same hole. You really get an appreciation of what the wind will do to a bullet when shooting one of these things.
Love that the PPC... I use the 6.5 Grendel based on PPC round. Love all cartridges based off the PPC, amazing stuff.

waveslayer

Reaction score
Jeez, I thought this was a Ram truck site. Surprised to see a bunch of inbread read necks comparing the size of their tiny little dicks!!!!
Jeez, didn't know 3500 driving guys don't like Read Necks, I don't either. I appreciate Red Necks much more!!!!

Or you can avoid this whole thread since your penis is so much larger than ours... glad I lifted my truck too

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

RTillery

Reaction score
Jeez, I thought this was a Ram truck site. Surprised to see a bunch of inbread read necks comparing the size of their tiny little dicks!!!!
Not sure what an "inbread read neck" is, but to denigrate something you know nothing about is a sign of insecurity in one's own self worth. This is an "off topic" discussion forum not related to the sites main interest.

jsalbre

Reaction score
It is a 6mmPPC. That's a case that is based on a .220 Russian case and dominates short range benchrest. It is neck turned and fireformed to hold around 29-30 grains of powder. VihtaVuori 133 is the most common. We usually shoot a 65-68 grain bullet at around 33-3400 feet a second.

This is an "Unlimited Rail" gun I built and a home-made single shot action. The action is 17-4 stainless and has been "nitrided" by a buddy that runs a crankshaft shop. The bolt is 4140 Chrome Moly. It is a single shot, right bolt, left loading port with an ejector port on the right. When the bolt is pulled back, the empty case flies out the right, and a fresh round is tossed in from the left. Very quick to fire for a single shot. We can get 10 shots on record in under 20 seconds if the wind holds. The barrel blank is an 1.450" diameter Krieger with a 13.5 twist. Threaded and chambered in my old lathe in my basement. Nighteforce 42X scope with a .090"dot.

The return to battery base is two pieces and weighs about 70 llbs. The top slides back on "rails" to absorb the recoil and is pushed back to battery for the next shot. The barrel is mounted in a barrel block and the action free-floats. The trigger is a 2 ounce Jewell. There are elevation and windage adjustments to get on target and adjust point of aim as the "condition" changes while firing a group. There is a "cam" mechanism that allows you to go from the "sighter" target to the "record" target with just a flip of a lever.

It's a heavy beast but a lot of fun to shoot. Not much will beat them for just pounding bullets down range into the same hole. You really get an appreciation of what the wind will do to a bullet when shooting one of these things.
This description and the type of gun 100% reenforces your "RTillery" name.

Impressive work.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Said I wouldn't build another, but had the barrel already. Radian builders kit and christensen arms 16in carbon fiber barrel.

Serious question from someone who has built a couple AR platform pews. What is the benefit of the carbon fiber barrel? Is it just a lighter weight barrel? Or does it actually shoot better groupings?

Dinky503

Reaction score
Serious question from someone who has built a couple AR platform pews. What is the benefit of the carbon fiber barrel? Is it just a lighter weight barrel? Or does it actually shoot better groupings?

I have a Christensen arms Ar-10 and it has a 1/2 MOA guarantee with match ammo. 18in carbon fiber barrel and the AR-10 naked is a touch over 7lbs. some say carbon fiber is a sales gimmick which could be true lol. The heat displacement is a lot better with the carbon fiber as well and some say that changes your accuracy and point of impact after 20rds, but I have not seen it. We do know heat will kill a barrel faster. I don't think it is worth the extra money over a standard Match grade barrel but if you are trying to shave weight it will help. The cool factor is also there but not needed. Carbon fiber is able to hold the same strength as steel but save the weight so you do get a nice bull barrel vs a pencell barrel. I also have a 14.5in pinned BSF carbon fiber AR-15 and with just standard 62gr I am sub moa with it.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I,m old and I just don't like black guns. Walnut and blue, stainless, nickel plate, Guns should be beautiful.

I am with you, but love my AR10 still…has been my go-to deer and antelope gun for a bit now. It hauls8F114C2A-7CD7-4D9A-B773-2F9A5F810328.jpeg around mighty nice in those Ruby Mountains. It doesn’t make that pic any less pretty imo.

Last edited:

Dinky503

Reaction score
I,m old and I just don't like black guns. Walnut and blue, stainless, nickel plate, Guns should be beautiful.

I love old guns and have quite a few, but new black guns need loving too and they all really do the samething in the end. Nothing wrong with sticking with old style firearms they are still an effective tool.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
what a Jerk! that is on my list for sure. i have the mcx virtus and love it and now i want the spear lt.
Virtus is a bad mofo. I wanted one bad. I was never able to get my hands on one.

This was a treat to myself, although hard to get ahold of. I’ve been kicking myself for about ten years for selling my Scar16 and this eases that pain (; despite the scar being up to $1k+ more due to being unobtanium these days I think this is a better rifle and i’d trade that scar for this rifle. Scar is a great rifle but this rifle has received lots of modern improvements and weight loss that the scar never got

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread