Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your gun is poop

Enve46

Reaction score
Gosh this thread has made me realize I’ve been too consumed with this house that I haven’t shot in way too long. Light work week so I’ll be breaking out the oil and hitting the range this week!

jebruns

Reaction score
You should look at a progressive press if it's not too late. That way you can knock out about a 1,000 round an hour. Good luck and have fun!!!
Agreed. I started on progressive presses back in the 80's, and still prefer them. But I shoot 200+ rounds of 9mm a week, so speed and efficiency are important for those. For my long range stuff, I have a semi-progressive (Dillon 550C) and hand drop the powder.

Anyway, good luck on getting started reloading. I've always found it to be a great hobby.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I looked at them. But for the price of this kit, it was the best deal. Basically all I need to add is the dies. Everything else is there. Tumbler, cartridge length cutter, scales, digital powder dispenser, etc.
Only paid $600 delivered to the house.
And I'm retired, what else have I got to do?

Last edited:

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I've ran several thousand rounds of 12ga through a progressive loader where speed is paramount and powder charge accuracy through a bushing is good enough. More recently I've gotten into hand loading .300 mag. On those, I start out weighing powder on a digital scale then trickle up to the last little piece of powder on a balance beam which seems to have worked out very well.

Can I assume this level of accuracy is not really necessary on handgun rounds?

MarkCO1

Reaction score
Can I assume this level of accuracy is not really necessary on handgun rounds?

Trickling up charges is really a precision rifle thing, and really, only needed when you are chasing sub-MOA out past 600 yards or so.

With handgun, while some folks let their OCD over-ride rational thought, it is really not needed.

I shoot about 30K a year, mostly reloaded ammo. I only buy .22rf and 12g factory ammo. My precision stuff is usually 1/2 MOA or better with SDs under 5. Hunting and ARs, I like to have SDs in the teens. Pistol, I am okay up to the low twenties, but still try to keep it reasonable.

PS...if you don't have a chrono, or need an upgrade, the new Garmin is awesome!

oledirteh

Reaction score
Have been considering a pistol mount for the truck, anyone using one? was looking at the magnetic ones however would prefer a more secure way that either mounts to the side of the console or below the steering column. I'll look at reviews and they always seem 50/50 on how good or bad they are.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Have been considering a pistol mount for the truck, anyone using one? was looking at the magnetic ones however would prefer a more secure way that either mounts to the side of the console or below the steering column. I'll look at reviews and they always seem 50/50 on how good or bad they are.

I am not a fan of magnets on my guns. Do you have a center console? I have holster clipped on the lip and 3m taped at the bottom. Works really well and out of the way. I was looking a Molle panel for the front seat, you could attach whatever you wanted fully secured.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I would not use a magnet mount that’s just dumb.

I would not have a holster mounted in my truck for multiple reasons. First, I carry different guns depending on the day so one holster won’t work. Second, I don’t want to unholster and reholster in the truck every time I get in and out. Un/Reholstering is where the majority of NDs occur. Third, it would need to be mounted in a quick access area which would be visible and lastly the gun belongs on your body and not in the truck.

Guns should only be carried in a high quality made to fit holster. If the gun is loaded and/or out of the safe it should be in a holster and not leave that holster.

IF my gun is off my body but in my truck it is still in its holster but the entire rig has been pulled off the belt for a long road trip or something and the holster will be reinstalled before exiting the vehicle.

I’m not a fan of open carry but the best truck mount option I can think of would be the safari land type holster mounts you could quick disconnect the holster off your belt and connect the holster to the mount on the truck. Those type holster aren’t edc stuff but range or competition stuff for me so no need to be truck mounted.

oledirteh

Reaction score
My EDC is either the hellcat or xds (Same dang thing really)

I travel and often when im on a 6 hour stretch ill have it in a spot where im not trying to fight to get it out. If its not on me i have a safe in my truck. I have holsters for each, i may have a solution now that i think of it. might have to sacrifice a holster for it. I never carry any of my glocks or cz's as they are just big for my liking .

MarkCO1

Reaction score
Well said @Rockcrawlindude

I've seen too many times where a person has a HD gun and a truck gun and then gets lazy and just starts leaving the gun in the vehicle. Those are the ones that get stolen. Extenuating circumstances to leave a gun in a vehicle occur here and there, but I don't like it to be routine.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Well said @Rockcrawlindude

I've seen too many times where a person has a HD gun and a truck gun and then gets lazy and just starts leaving the gun in the vehicle. Those are the ones that get stolen. Extenuating circumstances to leave a gun in a vehicle occur here and there, but I don't like it to be routine.
Truth.

The only time it’s left in the vehicle is going somewhere where you can’t get in with a gun like an event or venue. Most places you can get in since signs don’t hold weight here but some places have metal detectors such as the aquarium.

but, we also take my wife’s car if we go to the city because it’s easier to park and it’s the type of vehicle that blends in. I hide my stuff very well in the vehicle if I have to leave it, places people would never look but I won’t give examples. Holster out, hidden, holster reinstalled upon arrival back to car

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread