Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You are not in park

THook

Reaction score
Why does my 2021 RAM 3500 fail to go into ‘Park’ occasionally. I Know of others who have experienced this. I’m guessing there probably is a reason and that it isn’t a problem but I’m not use to having to look every time I go to park. I nearly got run over thinking I was in park and stepped out and the truck was still rolling.

Will_T

Reaction score
My truck tells me that some times, but always it is because I am not really in Park and have opened the door or something to look at my alignment in my parking space. Are you saying you have put the shifter in Park but the truck does not go into Park?

THook

Reaction score
When I put The selector in Park sometimes the P will flash off and on and a message on the instrument cluster displays “you are not in park”. Other times when I go to park it is actually in park and I don’t have the flashing P or a note saying that I’m not in Park

Will_T

Reaction score
I understand now. Not sure why if you are really putting the shifter in Park that happens. Someone more knowledgeable hopefully will have a suggestion as to what to look for. When it happens to me, it is really my fault. Either I have left it in neutral or I was lazy putting it into park and it is still in reverse or something. It only happens when I am backing into my garaged parking space with a gravel floor. It is slightly downhill to the rear and I have a bumper built for the rear tires so the truck is not going anywhere even in neutral or reverse. A couple of times I have opened the door and leaned out to check my parking job in the tight space and then turned off the truck engine without putting it fully in Park. Then I get the Vehicle Not in Park message. But the problem is with me, not the truck! :)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The park slot on Ram's column shifters have always been problematic.

I'm in the habit of pushing the parking brake on while still standing on the brake pedal as I'm shifting into park. I've seen/heard of too many accidents and also want to keep my transmissions park pawl in good shape. Certainly there are times I'm in and out when setting up the trailer, but I try to be very mindful of the Park position knowing they've always been a bit wonky. Frankly, the new truck took some getting used to operating the shifter consistently compared to the old 04.5.

If it continues to be a problem, take it to the dealer.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Why does my 2021 RAM 3500 fail to go into ‘Park’ occasionally. I Know of others who have experienced this. I’m guessing there probably is a reason and that it isn’t a problem but I’m not use to having to look every time I go to park. I nearly got run over thinking I was in park and stepped out and the truck was still rolling.
Hi THook,
We're sorry to hear you're experiencing this. We'd suggest having your local dealer diagnose your vehicle concerns, and if you need any additional assistance, feel free to send us a private message.

Sarah
Ram Cares

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Funny the Cummins occasionally don’t go into park when you want them to because the hemi will occasionally go into auto-park when you don’t want it to.

whitexc

Reaction score
Hate that auto park crap....butt half on the seat moving the truck or hitching a trailer and your face nearly smacks the wheel as the truck decides you don't know what you are doing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Truckman

Reaction score
Have any of you tried a seat belt extender to see if it would fool the seat belt and not do this silly stuff?

GUNBUNNY2BG4U

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a 21 Dodge ram and he has the same experience where they failed to go and park I have a feeling this is going to be a recall issue

Cpsram21

Reaction score
Mine has been doing this the last few weeks also and the only way to get it in park is to go back to drive and then park. Even that has to be done a couple times usually or it doesn't work. Anybody figure out the problem before i call my dealer ?

Users who are viewing this thread