Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yellow sticker payload argument with general manager at dealer

kobra

Reaction score
When you put in your vin that number is specific to your truck, or at least that's my understanding? There is an option that days "vin lookup" which is not the same as the generic results you're speaking of.
True, but there were earlier threads commenting on how the online VIN lookup was different than the stickers; in fact in some cases by hundreds of lbs. I got my VIN in November, and used the lookup tool - they matched. But, if they do differ, the sticker on the door takes precedence.

Now, as to the comments on the practical (true) payload and using a scale? Absolutely agree, you really need to use a certified scale, like a CAT scale, to know what your truck weighs when you load it the way you typically load it.
One example - I had the dealer install a 50 gallon replacement fuel tank before I even took delivery. It would be foolish, and inaccurate, for me to assume that I can fill that tank up and then expect that I still have all of the payload as listed on the door sticker.

But, to come back to the questions originally raised on the thread by the OP - the legal payload for a particular truck is what is specified by the sticker on the door (not online, not a brochure, etc). And, that a senior person at a dealership, such as a GM, should know that.

B

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
True, but there were earlier threads commenting on how the online VIN lookup was different than the stickers; in fact in some cases by hundreds of lbs. I got my VIN in November, and used the lookup tool - they matched. But, if they do differ, the sticker on the door takes precedence.

Now, as to the comments on the practical (true) payload and using a scale? Absolutely agree, you really need to use a certified scale, like a CAT scale, to know what your truck weighs when you load it the way you typically load it.
One example - I had the dealer install a 50 gallon replacement fuel tank before I even took delivery. It would be foolish, and inaccurate, for me to assume that I can fill that tank up and then expect that I still have all of the payload as listed on the door sticker.

But, to come back to the questions originally raised on the thread by the OP - the legal payload for a particular truck is what is specified by the sticker on the door (not online, not a brochure, etc). And, that a senior person at a dealership, such as a GM, should know that.

B

Pretty sure they sorted out that VIN lookup vs door sticker issue. I haven't seen anyone with a 20 say it was off for their truck.

If the GM likes what the web shows so much, grab the VIN and plug it into the link provided and show that to the dolt.

Frank

Reaction score
my plans are to first be towing a travel trailer likely hitch weight about 600 ish. Bed rack, plus kayaks, wife and I and 75 pound dog and gear I feel too close to not just go 3500 and diesel. 3 to 5 years got to larger travel trailer. We just retired and this is decision I need correct. Someone said on here you can never have enough truck.. I agree now and I won’t be limited in future on what I decide after the initial travel trailer. . Never would have bought it had I known 1383 prior. Just trying to get it right.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 600 lbs hitch weight on a camper is really 900 lbs with battery, tanks, WDH, and a bare minimum of stuff in the trailer.

NWWIRAM

Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 600 lbs hitch weight on a camper is really 900 lbs with battery, tanks, WDH, and a bare minimum of stuff in the trailer.
So very True! I don't think I have ever heard of a brochure weight that was close to including the essentials such as LP tanks, battery(ies) or any other accessories that are added at the factory. The advertised pin weight of my fifth wheel was around 2800 lbs. and my first trip to the scale (after loading very few essential camping items) the pin weight was actually 600 lbs. heavier or around 29% of GVW. After I added 100 gallons of water, various tool boxes, 100 lbs. of 50 amp extension cords and a few other items to the very rear of the trailer (none of these items were on board for the initial weight) I was able to get the pin weight down to about 2800 lbs., which is about 25% GVW where it belongs. The TT toy hauler I had before I bought this fifth wheel was awful compared to what I have now. The advertised hitch weight was around 750 lbs. and I know it was at least 1200 lbs. There was no way a 1/2 ton could handle that as was advertised in their brochure and I proved it. It was scary pulling it home from the dealership and suicidal pulling it after loaded for camping. Thus the 3500 I have now.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Well shucks - mine is spot on also if I just put in the Vin # and go straight to search. If I put in the Vin then answer the questions and go to search is when it is not correct. You would think both ways would have the same answer. Sorry for the confusion.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Well shucks - mine is spot on also if I just put in the Vin # and go straight to search. If I put in the Vin then answer the questions and go to search is when it is not correct. You would think both ways would have the same answer. Sorry for the confusion.
Yeah. You just put in the VIN.

If you go to search...it just goes back to the chart payloads which are generic and wrong.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
In the end, it doesn’t matter what they “told” you. You bought the truck, it’s yours now. I doubt you can prove they told you the payload was higher and have any case against them.

Research before you buy, not after. It’s your responsibility. Making an uninformed purchase is on you even if you want to pin it on someone else.

and if 500lb is the straw that broke the camels back then you didn’t buy enough truck either way.

NWWIRAM

Reaction score
Why are you even looking at the sticker? Get the curb weight, subtract it from the GVWR ( this doesn't change ever ), and you have payload. I just hop on the cat scale when I want to know my weight. Alternatively, just put the vin on this page : https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html and it'll tell you the exact weight limits!
This doesn't seem to work for me. I tried upper case, lower case, with dashes and without dashes. It does nothing when I click on find. It does say 2009 and newer. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Any pointers?

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
@NWWIRAM

I see in another post you have a 2012.

Go to the link. Scroll to bottom and click the look up my vehicle tab.

Enter your VIN and hit search. It should give you payload.

Let me know if it worked

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
It is a 2012 in my sig line. I took the number off my window sticker and I think it is right. Maybe not, I will double check that.
I just tried a 2012 from cargurus.

It says the same thing as when I enter my 2003.

When I entered my 2015...it flashed the error...but then loaded. Makes no sense lol

NWWIRAM

Reaction score
@NWWIRAM

I see in another post you have a 2012.

Go to the link. Scroll to bottom and click the look up my vehicle tab.

Enter your VIN and hit search. It should give you payload.

Let me know if it worked
It keeps coming up with:
Please enter 17 alphanumeric characters
Find 2009 or newer vehicle models.
I keep counting 17 characters: 3c63d3dl0cg305240

Users who are viewing this thread