Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yellow sticker payload argument with general manager at dealer

Portercycling250

Reaction score
So I just wanted to hear from a few people on thoughts on what the General Manager at my local dealer is saying regarding payload. He is stating that he knows that my truck has a 1820 payload based on the FCA chart for 2021 Ram 1500 Sport 5.7 hemi 4 x 4 with 6-4 box 3.92 gear. I told him yes that is true it states that but after a truck has options this changes and I even provided the yellow sticker showing what it says.. 1383 pounds “never to exceed”. He still is convinced that the sticker is about tire psi and not the actual payload of my truck. I have now asked FCA customer service to provide me a definitive answer and I’ve sent my sticker to them to confirm. Who is betting I’m right ? And who thinks the dealer manager is right ... ( yes I have seen the towing payload thread) my efforts are to help with a new Ram 3500 I believe I need. If this truck had 1820 payload I may have lived with it but 1383 isn’t enough for the future.
27187175-8C58-4008-985B-1A844BA04D61.jpeg

Last edited:

Pronto

Reaction score
You are correct and he is either completely ignorant about something that he should know or a flat out in your face liar. You have decide which, if one is more excusable to you.

Last edited:

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
The GM is quoting the generic numbers. The individual sticker on the truck takes into account that particular trucks configuration. Ever notice how most salesman and even GM's at the dealers don't really know the products they are trying to sell?

jadmt

Reaction score
Sounds like the gm is trying to talk you out of trading your vehicle odd they usually try and talk you into a new vehicle.

Portercycling250

Reaction score
Sounds like the gm is trying to talk you out of trading your vehicle odd they usually try and talk you into a new vehicle.
I said yes usually true except when I bought this 1500 my first question was what is the payload.. the answer.. 1820 .. a few days later I learned a little more about the yellow sticker and can’t believe that all of the salespeople and managers do not know this.. they will need to rectify this I feel as I was wronged on this purchase..

Portercycling250

Reaction score
The GM is quoting the generic numbers. The individual sticker on the truck takes into account that particular trucks configuration. Ever notice how most salesman and even GM's at the dealers don't really know the products they are trying to sell?
So true, I am like informing them on payload , hitch weight etc .. they have no idea and I’m not sure why . A Ram dealer seminar this is basic 101 info and very important to all buyers.. I am curious as to how many people are driving the wrong pickup pulling too much weight and overloaded..

Portercycling250

Reaction score
You are correct and he is either completely ignorant about something that he should know or a flat out in your face liar. You have decide which if one is more excusable to you.
I truly hope this is ignorance and not something used on customers as a way to sell these trucks.

kobra

Reaction score
I said yes usually true except when I bought this 1500 my first question was what is the payload.. the answer.. 1820 .. a few days later I learned a little more about the yellow sticker and can’t believe that all of the salespeople and managers do not know this.. they will need to rectify this I feel as I was wronged on this purchase..
If I understand this correctly, and they (esp the GM) misrepresented the truck, I would fight that battle also.
What are you planning to load? Will you be towing, and if so what/how heavy?

Keep in mind this... there is a lot more between a 1500 and the HD models than just payload numbers. Even a 2500 that may actually have a payload of ~1800lbs (there are some that low) will out tow, out haul, out pull, be more stable and last longer if you work it a lot. IOW, the HD's are a lot more truck and far beyond just the numbers.

Now, if you really need the payload, then you are right that you may need to skip the 2500s and go up to the 3500's (~3600-4000lbs+ payload). And, again, if you want to work the truck, there are a lot of reasons to consider the cummins.

When all I towed was a boat that was about 3500lbs, I did just fine with a half ton. But, it was squirrelly when I towed my 7000lb travel trailer, so I went back to an HD years ago.

Tell us more about what you are trying to do!

hth
B

Portercycling250

Reaction score
If I understand this correctly, and they (esp the GM) misrepresented the truck, I would fight that battle also.
What are you planning to load? Will you be towing, and if so what/how heavy?

Keep in mind this... there is a lot more between a 1500 and the HD models than just payload numbers. Even a 2500 that may actually have a payload of ~1800lbs (there are some that low) will out tow, out haul, out pull, be more stable and last longer if you work it a lot. IOW, the HD's are a lot more truck and far beyond just the numbers.

Now, if you really need the payload, then you are right that you may need to skip the 2500s and go up to the 3500's (~3600-4000lbs+ payload). And, again, if you want to work the truck, there are a lot of reasons to consider the cummins.

When all I towed was a boat that was about 3500lbs, I did just fine with a half ton. But, it was squirrelly when I towed my 7000lb travel trailer, so I went back to an HD years ago.

Tell us more about what you are trying to do!

hth
B
my plans are to first be towing a travel trailer likely hitch weight about 600 ish. Bed rack, plus kayaks, wife and I and 75 pound dog and gear I feel too close to not just go 3500 and diesel. 3 to 5 years got to larger travel trailer. We just retired and this is decision I need correct. Someone said on here you can never have enough truck.. I agree now and I won’t be limited in future on what I decide after the initial travel trailer. . Never would have bought it had I known 1383 prior. Just trying to get it right.

Cheetah

Reaction score
Door jamb sticker is absolutely controlling for that specific vehicle. As you'll read here in several places, the tables are for an unoptioned truck for the trim/cab/engine/drivetrain specified. 1500 numbers are often wildly optimistic, HD is somewhat better. Your GM lacks a clue. Even the truck managers at dealerships that should know better all too often are under informed.

My back of the napkin math suggests you might just squeek by on 1,383# with no margin and no future growth. Personally I wouldn't do it.

There are several good conversations here on matching a truck to your needs. A gas 2500 is still a big step up in capability from a 1500, with decent payload, good tow numbers, and excellent (for a truck) ride (especially with airbags). Fifth wheel in your future? 3500. Pin weight will almost certainly be too high for a 2500. Seems most here lean Cummins for a variety of reasons. Gas works for some, with better payload if the other tradeoffs work out for the need.

stickshifter

Reaction score
As others have said, the sticker is specific to each truck, and is the gospel. Specs in sales brochures are designed to present max possible configurations, but very few people end up in a truck with max payload or towing because it means buying a stripped truck: no sunroof, no heated seats, etc. The GM probably believes what he is saying and is just plain wrong.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I was shopping for 3500 in 2019 Oct/Nov. I looked on several dealers lots. I knew then to look at payload stickers. What was a huge surprise, was the variance of up to 800 pounds difference in payloads between trim levels for dually 3500s. Max trailer loads varied between SO, HO and gas. But that didn't seem to affect payloads as much as trim levels.

kobra

Reaction score
I was shopping for 3500 in 2019 Oct/Nov. I looked on several dealers lots. I knew then to look at payload stickers. What was a huge surprise, was the variance of up to 800 pounds difference in payloads between trim levels for dually 3500s. Max trailer loads varied between SO, HO and gas. But that didn't seem to affect payloads as much as trim levels.
Yes, good point.
And, while I haven't looked at the stickers myself, there are some who have shared payloads of their 2500 gas, low trim level models, and they seem higher than some of the 3500 cummins, higher trim models.

B

Firebird

Reaction score
Yes, good point.
And, while I haven't looked at the stickers myself, there are some who have shared payloads of their 2500 gas, low trim level models, and they seem higher than some of the 3500 cummins, higher trim models.

B
Agreed, my payload is 3037 pounds on my 2500 Hemi

stickshifter

Reaction score
Agreed, my payload is 3037 pounds on my 2500 Hemi
The diesel will tow more, cuz it’s a beast, but often has lower payload than the gasser when comparing similar models (2500 to 2500) because it is so heavy. The weight of the Diesel engine has to be subtracted from the payload (just like the weight of the sunroof, or anything else added to a base truck). The 3500 has different suspension, so a Cummins 3500 might have similar payload to a Hemi 2500 (depending on options). On the other end of the payload range is the 2500 Power Wagon with really soft suspension for maximum articulation off road, but very low payload compared to a regular 2500.

Yillbs

Reaction score
Why are you even looking at the sticker? Get the curb weight, subtract it from the GVWR ( this doesn't change ever ), and you have payload. I just hop on the cat scale when I want to know my weight. Alternatively, just put the vin on this page : https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html and it'll tell you the exact weight limits!

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Why are you even looking at the sticker? Get the curb weight, subtract it from the GVWR ( this doesn't change ever ), and you have payload. I just hop on the cat scale when I want to know my weight. Alternatively, just put the vin on this page : https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html and it'll tell you the exact weight limits!

The sticker is the actual payload, what you describe is what is done.... and that website only provides a generic payload rating (also discussed before on the forum).
When I ran my old 1500 through that site it claimed #1800 when it really only had #1200.

kobra

Reaction score
Alternatively, look at the yellow sticker, it will tell you the exact weight limits! :D

The yellow sticker contains the legal weights published by the manufacturer, for that VIN. If there is ever a discrepancy between information published elsewhere, the yellow sticker prevails. Anything else may be interesting, but it does not change that fact.
That's why.

B

Yillbs

Reaction score
The sticker is the actual payload, what you describe is what is done.... and that website only provides a generic payload rating (also discussed before on the forum).
When I ran my old 1500 through that site it claimed #1800 when it really only had #1200.
When you put in your vin that number is specific to your truck, or at least that's my understanding? There is an option that days "vin lookup" which is not the same as the generic results you're speaking of.

Wileykid

Reaction score
This

One needs to hit a scale to know what your true payload is. Yes, the sticker shows what it is when it left the factory, but put gas in it, and it changes. My 3500 has a sticker payload of 3750, but on a scale, with me, the usual 10 lbs of assorted junk, and a full tank of gas (only non factory stock item is nerf bars), my truck payload is 3400 lbs.

Playing with numbers, the only way it makes sense, is RAM is weighing with the mythical 150 lb person, and no gas.

Users who are viewing this thread