Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Xpel PPF and Rock chips - Dissapointed!

relbus

Reaction score
I had my truck "protected" with Xpel film recently. I was looking forward to the protection I read it provides and thought highly of the product after reading many reviews.

I have to say I am really let down. My truck has 7k on it. Wheels and tires went on at 1500-2k. +18 offset 35x12.50s. This past weekend I was at a ski resort and they had gravel everywhere. I drove very slow, and tried to avoid high speeds on the gravel.

When I left the resort and was on pavement, I drove slow initially - and then I continued to hear rocks being ejected from the treads for the next 20+ minutes. I had hope that they PPF would do what it was supposed to. I have easily 25 good chips in the rockers. Right through the film, on some places chipped the paint under the film. My rear flares have 2-4 chips on the front edge through the paint and damaged the plastic flare. I am not happy. I had +18 with bushwhacker pocket flares on my last Ram 2500. I wanted to stay stock flares this time.
I am really debating going back to stock wheels with my 35x12.50 ridge graps.

I knew the chips would happen. Didnt expect so many so fast

whitexc

Reaction score
That sucks. Xpel isn't cheap either....at least the quote I just got isn't cheap.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Squatch

Reaction score
I have PPF on mine as well, guess I will have to look a little closer at mine and see if I have the same problem. I think mine is 3m though. I put pretty wide side steps on my truck for the sole purpose of being rock catchers, so that may have blocked a good amount.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Try driving 5 miles of gravel just to get to the ‘’nearest’’ paved road that is also peppered with rock. I have neighbours that have shattered their own windows and a sun roof! Then hook a trailer and it’s good buy tailgate paint. Sorry that’s absolutely no help...gravel is my trigger word. I probably need therapy but I would have to drive down the gravel to get there so no point.:rolleyes:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Try driving 5 miles of gravel just to get to the ‘’nearest’’ paved road that is also peppered with rock. I have neighbours that have shattered their own windows and a sun roof! Then hook a trailer and it’s good buy tailgate paint. Sorry that’s absolutely no help...gravel is my trigger word. I probably need therapy but I would have to drive down the gravel to get there so no point.:rolleyes:
You need a set of rock tamers my tailgate is rock chip free my 01 was not so lucky without the rock tamers and my dump trailer on the gravel roads

Attachments

• C73BDEC1-DFF8-47FB-9734-26059561FFE7.jpeg
    C73BDEC1-DFF8-47FB-9734-26059561FFE7.jpeg
    646 KB · Views: 49

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I knew the chips would happen. Didnt expect so many so fast
Not to be that guy but did you really expect sharp hard rocks to be stopped my thin little plastic it has its place mainly for sand protection but not for rocks.... longer flaps help the rockers but not much else you can do

Bombdigitty

Reaction score
You need a set of rock tamers my tailgate is rock chip free my 01 was not so lucky without the rock tamers and my dump trailer on the gravel roads
The protect the trailer, but my painted bumper on my sport took a beating. rocks just get deflected in a different direction.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The protect the trailer, but my painted bumper on my sport took a beating. rocks just get deflected in a different direction.
Mine is fine but i made my own they fit tighter to the bumper so i only get sand on the bumper no rocks

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I live on gravel and never go over about 15 mph or slower depending on freshness of gravel. When dump trailer on 5er is on, it is slower. My best investment was longer flaps and flairs. Gravel tears up everything. I once had a van that I put on lifetime warranties shocks.......I got a new set of rears every year. They no longer offer that warranty! LOL!

PotvinSux

Reaction score
My wife and I travel to a ski resort often. Gravel is used as well instead of salt. I have Xpel on the front end of my Grand Cherokee. and when comparing my vehicle to my wife's, it's truly a night and day difference. There are some rocks that have come through the Xpel, however, most did not. My wife's vehicle has been sand blasted by gravel, with chips everywhere. What I will say is I purposively put running boards on my vehicle for the exact reason you described. Xpel will not stop constant, short distance, rock throwing from your tires. Just imagine if you didn't have Xpel!

AJ608

Reaction score
My service truck has bed liner on the bottoms of the tool body behind the cab. The rocks will even chip the coating off, no way even 4 layers of expel would do anything for that.

Jsboening

Reaction score
Probably worth the $2k to get it protected. Michigan is an absolute gravel storm from December till April. And no matter how large a gap you leave between yourself and the car ahead of you someone has to pass you and pull in front of you 5 feet from your front bumper.

relbus

Reaction score
New truck is being built at the moment and fully intend to add the PPF to that one immediately. I added it to my wife's suburban immediately and it has done an outstanding job of preventing damage.
This time I am considering dedicated snow tires on OEM wheels for winter time. I did aftermarket 20's and snow tires on the Suburban and its a beast in the snow...so the benefits would be two fold on the ram. Less poke to fling stones, AND incredible snow traction.

flan

Reaction score
I love my old man pawpaw running boards. The only rocks I hear bouncing off metal is the ones bouncing off them and saving my rockers..

Users who are viewing this thread