Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wire labeler recommendation

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Might be an odd question, but what labeler are you guys using to label your wiring? I have been looking at the Dymo Rhino 5200, Brady BMP21-plus, and the Brother Mobile PT-E550W (or PT-500W). I plan to use it to label wires on the truck and wires, fuel lines, levers, etc in a boat's engine room and electrical panel. It will obviously be mostly for boat use. Right now I am leaning towards the Dymo 5200. The only issue is it doesn't connect directly to a PC which could be helpful on the boat. That would require going to the Brother but it doesn't look like it will print on shrink tubing. Any others to consider? I would rather buy once cry once,

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the PT-E550W and have also used the Rhino and Brady printers.

I'd say the software on them both sucks equally with the P-Touch designer having an edge over the Rhino. Been forever since I used the Brady software but I recall it being good at the time.

The tape options on the Rhino seem a bit better but I haven't used shrink tube labeling as it's mostly Lan and fiber cables I use it on. The P-touch does offer shrink tube tape.

The non-qwerty keyboard on the Rhino is horrific to use.

If I was going to spend more, I'd get the Brady 41 or better. I've used their desktop models and they're way better.

For the price range you're looking, I'd say the PT-E550W is the better option. I think the extra $ for the wireless is useless, but the non-wireless doesn't do half cut tape (cuts the top tape layer and leaves the backing uncut).

P.S. the Brother can use AA batteries you buy from a Target in Las Vegas when you forget your charger and still have 64 pieces of fiber to label and only have 2 AA in your backpack, not sure about the others.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score

I'd say the software on them both sucks equally with the P-Touch designer having an edge over the Rhino. Been forever since I used the Brady software but I recall it being good at the time.

The tape options on the Rhino seem a bit better but I haven't used shrink tube labeling as it's mostly Lan and fiber cables I use it on. The P-touch does offer shrink tube tape.

If I was going to spend more, I'd get the Brady 41 or better. I've used their desktop models and they're way better.

For the price range you're looking, I'd say the PT-E550W is the better option. I think the extra $ for the wireless is useless, but the non-wireless doesn't do half cut tape (cuts the top tape layer and leaves the backing uncut).

P.S. the Brother can use AA batteries you buy from a Target in Las Vegas when you forget your charger and still have 64 pieces of fiber to label and only have 2 AA in your backpack, not sure about the others.
Thanks. The partial cut feature of the PT-550W is nice. I agree about the wireless being not needed. Do you think the P-Touch label materials are as good as the other two for industrial use? Boat engine rooms can get pretty hot.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. The partial cut feature of the PT-550W is nice. I agree about the wireless being not needed. Do you think the P-Touch label materials are as good as the other two for industrial use? Boat engine rooms can get pretty hot.

The partial cut is most useful when you're printing many labels at once and don't want to have to cut them. Just peel and stick/wrap/flag.

I like the HD vinyl and nylon the Rhino uses. Not sure what specific part number or type that is as I don't onw one and have just used them on customer locations when available and I didn't bring my own. I'll say again, the non qwerty keyboard on the Rhino is horrendous to use. If it's mostly data/computer driven then it's not so much an issue. Ad hoc labels are just a PITA to do on that keyboard.

Not sure if the same tape is available for the Brother. There is outdoor UV tape but it's really expensive and I haven't seen what the material or surface is like. I use the Flexible ID TZe laminated tape and have never really seen an issue and some is subject to constant "heat" in the hot side of server racks - though maybe not the kind of temps you're talking - some of the exhaust air on some equipment (Storage arrays) can be quite toasty. I have had TZe tape in the engine "room" of my tiny little 20' jet boat. I used it to label wiring and cables for an extra battery and circuitry I added.

Here's a good doc if you're considering the Brother. https://www.brother.is/-/media/prod...-machines/tze-tapes-booklet_uk_update_web.pdf

"Which tape is recommended for high temperatures? We recommend TZe-M931/951/961 black on matt silver TZe tape as most resistant to high temperatures in terms of discolouration."​
Also, have you looked at the Dymo XTL printers? I think if I were buying new today, I'd be researching them more. They do have a qwerty keyboard...​

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I will definitely do a little more research before I buy. Some of the areas I will label will be close to areas I need to aim the temp gun for engine room checks when underway. A non-qwerty keyboard is a PIA for sure. Once I get everything tagged I expect I will not have to use it often though. They hide all the electrical and plumbing runs behind access panels so I expect to be tagging items during repairs.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck.

Having thought about it some more, as much as a like the feel and application on small wires of the not laminated tapes I last used with the Rhino when I was doing some fiber wire labeling at a client site (nylon(?) (they're softer, more flexible) I don't think they'd hold up as well in other environments as the laminated tapes from brother. For the PT They also sell the TZe tapes as HGe in a non retail 5-pack for less per cart cost. Around $100/5 for the 24mm tapes which is 95% of my use for work. They also sell high strength adhesive tapes $$$ that might be what you need. Another option is to use whatever printer/tape you want and put clear shrink tubing over the label on wiring.

Dymo/Rhino has a smaller 4200 series with a qwerty keyboard if you go that brand, but it's manual cut and no half cut if that matters.

Overall, I'd say I'm happy with the Brother. Auto-cut, half-cut, takes AA batteries if need be, it's rugged and has been reliable, never jams up or gives me any trouble. Doesn't have a CP4 or terrible A/C.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Ended up getting the Epson LW-PX900PCD. I actually had the PX700 on my Christmas list. My wife ordered it direct from Epson. She got a call the next day saying the PX700 was out of stock so they gave her the PX900 for the same price. They even offered to have a phone call we me afterwards to explain the upgrade. I am good with it. It can do up to 1.5" labels. This will be good for marking different pipes and fuel lines in a boat. The Epsons have lifetime warranties too.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
After having several Epson printers bricked for using aftermarket ink, they are dead to me.

Used to be a big fan, also repaired their high speed mid grade printers 20 years ago.

No more. Dead. Dead. Dead.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
After having several Epson printers bricked for using aftermarket ink, they are dead to me.

Used to be a big fan, also repaired their high speed mid grade printers 20 years ago.

No more. Dead. Dead. Dead.
I love our Epson printers at both home and work. Of course, the work ones are 7K - 10K label printers. My home printer was only $300 but still works better than our more expensive HPs. Canon and HP are the only ones I will never buy again.

The Epson Labelworks printers have a number of aftermarket label cartridges available. After talking to some boat owners, and given it has a great warranty, it seemed like the best for my use.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Brady tape is better for wire wraps. Brother for flags or labels. We go thru miles of it at work.
Funny you should say that. I was leaning that way but others who owned the Brady and the Epson suggested the Epson. One of the reasons was less tape waste so you don't need to go through miles of tape.

gpattikjr

Reaction score
Funny you should say that. I was leaning that way but others who owned the Brady and the Epson suggested the Epson. One of the reasons was less tape waste so you don't need to go through miles of tape.
If you set it up to print multiples out, theres less waste. I work in the power utility field, just sharing my experience. Our typical tape order is 5k+. Brady has the shrink wrap for wire markers which is nice too. Their normal tape is like a fabric where brother is stiffer and doesn't bend well. Dunno bout epson.

44Dan44

Reaction score
Little bit of necro threading but I ended up with the Epson LW-PX700. I purchased it primarily to do all my wiring /upfitters on the Ram. Everything I added got shrink tube labels. I also liked it for the self laminating overwrap labels which is handy for labeling existing wires, I'm a hater of sloppy and poorly labeled breaker boxes in the home so I'll use the overwrap for that a lot and the jungle of wires that happens when you have Bose/cable box/stereo/battery backup/ etc in an entertainment cabinet.

IMG_2144.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

SelfLam1__76595.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Little bit of necro threading but I ended up with the Epson LW-PX700. I purchased it primarily to do all my wiring /upfitters on the Ram. Everything I added got shrink tube labels. I also liked it for the self laminating overwrap labels which is handy for labeling existing wires, I'm a hater of sloppy and poorly labeled breaker boxes in the home so I'll use the overwrap for that a lot and the jungle of wires that happens when you have Bose/cable box/stereo/battery backup/ etc in an entertainment cabinet.

View attachment 62402

View attachment 62403

View attachment 62404

View attachment 62405
That is a nice unit i have used one before i have the DYMO as thats what my supplier carries and i also have a few other DYMO label printers for my inventory system. Much better to have labeled wires vs chasing wires

irontmp

Reaction score

I'm looking for a quality label maker to use in the field. Any recommendations from experienced users?

Users who are viewing this thread