Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When you read the maximum payload number vs your actual payload number.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Talk about leverage, that’s got to really extend out weight behind the axle.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know that I've ever seen a slide-in camper in a cab/chassis truck, always a pickup bed.

I’ve seen it numerous times, it’s not difficult to mount one to a flat bed.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The cross braces welded to the frame directly where it broke is the biggest reason for the failure in that exact spot i would say.

in no way is that a 17k fix Unless the labour rate is over 200$ per hr thats no more than a 40 hr weeks work done right

First impression I saw was the CG, I looked up the website and the CG is at the 16' point of 21'. Now I don't know which direction thats from, but if its from the rear of the camper that puts the CG forward of the RA. Next question is where are the Fresh, Grey and Black water tanks located? It seems to me he would have had a full tank of fresh water, being in Mexico, I know I would have. Did he fill the fresh water tank after using some to the Grey and Black water tanks? If he didn't empty the near full Grey and Black tanks with a full fresh water tank, then its even more overloaded, then add on the motor scooter.

What was brought to our attention of frame welding, that was not in the initial article and is a big concern as I look at. My 04 2500 QC 4X4 needed 5ver rails to mount my hitch, due to the Hydro-Formed frame it was not recommended to drill or weld on the Hydro-Formed frame. I did a lot of research and found bolt on brackets to the frame that set the pin forward of the axle and the hitch fit perfect to the brackets. I had the dealer tell me its OK to weld on, and the RV installer told me its OK to drill on the frame. I'll bet the Camper Dealer just quickly welded on the supports not paying attention to locality or approved methods. I'm sure bolt on supports are available for that camper.

Big mistake was not to weigh it, but with the rear CG more likely behind the axle and welded supports combined is the probable cause.

I don't think anyone has confirmed if they were welded on tiedowns, or torqlift bolt on.

The other break floating around was a custom camper with welded on frame brackets. Those brackets were welded perpendicular with no other bracing or fishplating visible.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Knew I had posted a reply about this here. Found it buried in the terrible towing pics thread.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I don't know that I've ever seen a slide-in camper in a cab/chassis truck, always a pickup bed.
As others said there are plenty and in fact a flat bet mounted TC is a better setup as they usually have the storage boxes mounted underneath the sides of TC. In a pickup configuration that space is partly occupied by wheel wells and the rest of it is wasted because it's inaccessible.

Firebird

Reaction score
Poor guy. He should have bought a 5500 for that rig. That's what my buddy did, he's having a custom slide in built, and he did the 5500 with aluminum flat bed

Users who are viewing this thread