Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to engage Tow/Haul Mode

E-Rod

Reaction score
When hauling something heavy, yeah its an easy decision to engage the Tow/Haul mode...
For Example: what about when hauling a single axle 8' trailer with one 4-wheeler or a zero-turn mower on a long road trip?

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 48

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
One of the benefits to tow haul mode is the disengagement of the MDS. Obviously for such a small load you don't need tow haul. But why not use it?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Always use it when towing or hauling anything it wont affect millage with that little thing so why not its gonna help the trans in the long run.... hell i use it with just my plow on i can see a pretty good difference in trans temps with and without it

1FstGPa

Reaction score
Check "Towing Tips", page 349, in the owner's manual. You might be surprised.

The owner's manual implies engaging tow/haul in "hilly areas." I would add strong headwinds, starting from a stop and excessive shifting to that (add changing trans fluid on time or before maintenance schedule).

Rules I lived by when I pulled a fully loaded 6x10 cargo trailer multiple times with my 92,000 mile 1500. Apples to oranges, I know, but it was still shifting strong the day I traded it in.

Hate to be contrary to what is already said, but pulling that whiff of a trailer down the highway and watching your trans temp, along the way, I would say the tow/haul is not needed unless... Read my second line in my reply.

E-Rod

Reaction score

The owner's manual implies engaging tow/haul in "hilly areas." I would add strong headwinds, starting from a stop and excessive shifting to that (add changing trans fluid on time or before maintenance schedule).

Rules I lived by when I pulled a fully loaded 6x10 cargo trailer multiple times with my 92,000 mile 1500. Apples to oranges, I know, but it was still shifting strong the day I traded it in.

Hate to be contrary to what is already said, but pulling that whiff of a trailer down the highway and watching your trans temp, along the way, I would say the tow/haul is not needed unless... Read my second line in my reply.
Thank you. Sounds like you know your stuff. What are your parameters for transmission temperature while towing?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

At the same time there is no harm in running it in tow haul either....

doberman66

Reaction score
What does tow/haul mode do?
in short, changes the shift points in your transmission to keep the truck in an optimal powerband longer. Useful for when you are hauling heavy. keeps the tranny from shifting up and down continuously when your truck is laden. Try it now, you don't have to be towing to use it; you'll see/hear a difference- especially coming from a dead stop at a traffic light.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Tow haul also engages exhaust brake on the downshifts when slowing when exhaust brake is activated.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Tow haul also engages exhaust brake on the downshifts when slowing when exhaust brake is activated.
Turning the exhaust brake on full does the same thing i find.....

Tow haul is to change the shift points to keep the power longer to keep the constant shifting in doing so it keeps the heat down which make the trans last longer because heat is the #1 trans killer

1FstGPa

Reaction score
Thank you. Sounds like you know your stuff. What are your parameters for transmission temperature while towing?

So call expert opinion says 170 to 200 is normal and allows optimum life to the fluid. I disagree! I would say 160 to 180-185ish is better. Of course it's all dependent on a lot of factors. Like current outdoor temp, pulling heavy loads, gearing and pulling an uphill grade. If the temp approaches 200, you're in tow/haul and you know there's a downhill to the uphill side your driving over, then I wouldn't sweat 200-210 too much knowing it's temporary. It will cool down when there's less of a strain on it (something like Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado). I certainly wouldn't let it get much hotter than that without having to think for the tow/haul system!

BTW - My comment yesterday, "...I would add strong headwinds, starting from a stop and excessive shifting..." I meant to imply starting from a stop and disengaging once you're moving 45 mph+. Personally, I engaged tow/haul in towns I travelled through. Too much to watch for traffic and wearing out the tow/haul button at the same time. Once I found open road, had all favorable conditions going with me, then I would disengage tow/haul. This came from the Chrysler southwest service rep's mouth to my ears.

Why run without tow/haul down the highway? Meh! In my case it had a lot to do with shifting to a higher gear quicker and having the 5.7 MSD system engaging (Apple and oranges again?). Better MPG! That's all...

And "Yes", there's nothing wrong with running tow/haul if you don't mind hanging in the lower gears for a longer time (It's just insignificant wear n' tear in my book).

Remember! This all applies towards "Lighter Loads!!!" For crying out loud, DON"T EVER disengage tow/haul if you're pulling 3000#+ and watch that transmission temp!!!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Turning the exhaust brake on full does the same thing i find....

Tow haul is to change the shift points to keep the power longer to keep the constant shifting in doing so it keeps the heat down which make the trans last longer because heat is the #1 trans killer

The EB always engages if enabled. Tow haul engages the exhaust brake more "aggressively" (downshifts sooner) in TH, even when full on.

None of this matters to the OP that has a Hemi. :)

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
The EB always engages if enabled. Tow haul engages the exhaust brake more "aggressively" (downshifts sooner) in TH, even when full on.

That was my point, the aggressiveness. The best reason ever not to buy a hemi, is the exhaust brake for me.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Hmm good to know i never really noticed i always have in full EB

Frank

Reaction score
Having owned a lot of half tons I tend to watch my trans temp like a hawk.

I use Tow/Haul anytime I am doing soe thing that would make my trans shift more therefore temps go higher than unloaded driving.

Simple.

Users who are viewing this thread