Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What size hitch pin? (diameter and length)

huff2462

Reaction score
Total newb question: I know we have a 2.5" receiver. What length/diameter locking hitch pin should I order?

(I'm looking at Trimax locking pins)

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Standard ones work. 5/8" . So if you have had a hitch in a vehicle with a 2" receiver it will work.

I haven't found any extended length yet...but I also didn't look real hard as mine from my 99 and 03 work just fine.

I did however go to a 2.5" drop hitch so I didn't have to use the sleeve...but it moves around just as much as a 2" with the sleeve.

The 2.5" stuff has higher ratings though...and make sure you get the right ball aswell...if the ball capacity is less than the hitch the ball weight is what makes the max capacity.

huff2462

Reaction score
Standard ones work. 5/8" . So if you have had a hitch in a vehicle with a 2" receiver it will work.

I haven't found any extended length yet...but I also didn't look real hard as mine from my 99 and 03 work just fine.

I did however go to a 2.5" drop hitch so I didn't have to use the sleeve...but it moves around just as much as a 2" with the sleeve.

The 2.5" stuff has higher ratings though...and make sure you get the right ball aswell...if the ball capacity is less than the hitch the ball weight is what makes the max capacity.
Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I've got a pretty nice adjustable hitch (by Inventive Hitches) I use for my '13 1500 with the 2" shank and I've got a Trimax locking pin for that.

I just assumed I'd need to upgrade the pin for the 2.5" receiver. Glad to be wrong!

*Also planning to upgrade to a new adjustable drop hitch with a 2.5" shank for sure!

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I did find a longer one for the 2.5"

Walmart has them now. Much easier to use.

Forgot to post up once I jad found it.

ansells09

Reaction score
My hitch pin for a 2 inch receiver wouldn’t work, so I went shopping for one for a 2.5. Walmart didnt have any. I ended up with a no name 4 dollar 5/8 pin with a grab handle from a hardware store. It fits fine, but the packaging had no specs or weight ratings at all. I’m not sure if I should trust it to tow. Is a hitch pin a hitch pin or should I order a name brand online? Definitely don’t want it to break or get stuck in the receiver. Here is what it looks like9A299E27-5BD9-43BC-B124-E283A1FBA8C4.png

Frank

Reaction score
I’m not sure if I should trust it to tow. Is a hitch pin a hitch pin or should I order a name brand online?

You can pick them up at auto parts stores and some hardware stores that have larger towing sections like Northern Tool. Ought to have a 10k lbs rating, if it's not printed I would be suspect. They aren't expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread