Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What motor oil are you using for your 6.7

Zrojas

Reaction score
I use Rotella T6 5w40 full synthetic. But as long as you use oil that meets API CK-4 you should be good. 5w40 synthetic or 10w30 conventional is specified and 15w40 is not recommended in the new Cummins engine because of the new hydraulic roller valvetrain.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

flan

Reaction score
I chose the rotella T6 5/40

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Rotella T6 5/40. I've been running it for years in my motorcycles and ATVs. Always great results and cheaper than 4s MS oil. This is my first big diesel so I stuck with T6 since all my research pointed to it being hi-qual way back when.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know which Valvoline, I only run Rotella oils.

P.S. PLEASE turn off your caps lock, it's considered shouting.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
You guys running 15W/40 oil do realize there's a TSB that says specifically to not use 15/40 oil in the CGI engines?

View attachment 8231

Thank you. I think I have 6 gallons of the 15W/40 still. I am glad I haven't done an oil change yet. I might have used it by mistake. I guess my 07 will get another oil change before I sell it.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
What's the better of the two (10W30 vs 5W-40) for longevity as the only metric? I give two ****s about a ants butt increase in MPG if thats why the 10W30. I understand the oil needs to be thinner than traditional diesel oil because of the lifters, but sometimes automakers go to silly extremes to achieve MPG.

People will quote stuff about "MFG suggested!", but sometimes those suggestions are there for CAFE and MPG (I know, no MPG requirements on diesel HDs). My last truck, a 2016 Silverado, had ridiculous fan and trans thermo settings that would keep everything nuclear hot along with it's 0W20 oil to achieve the best MPG they could.

I see that the 5W40 is ok with an arrow pointing right (further down) the temp chart past 30F.

Why wouldn't you want to use the thicker 5W40 and instead use the 10W30? MPG? Better on lifters?

Again, only care about longevity.

Thanks.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
What's the better of the two (10W30 vs 5W-40) for longevity as the only metric? I give two ****s about a ants butt increase in MPG if thats why the 10W30. I understand the oil needs to be thinner than traditional diesel oil because of the lifters, but sometimes automakers go to silly extremes to achieve MPG.

People will quote stuff about "MFG suggested!", but sometimes those suggestions are there for CAFE and MPG (I know, no MPG requirements on diesel HDs). My last truck, a 2016 Silverado, had ridiculous fan and trans thermo settings that would keep everything nuclear hot along with it's 0W20 oil to achieve the best MPG they could.

I see that the 5W40 is ok with an arrow pointing right (further down) the temp chart past 30F.

Why wouldn't you want to use the thicker 5W40 and instead use the 10W30? MPG? Better on lifters?

Again, only care about longevity.

Thanks.

Mileage and emmissions was my first thought too. After reading about the lifters IDK. Is that Cummins or FCA?

Xflight29

Reaction score
After reading Brutal_HO post I found paper work from the dealer who performed my oil change and I was wrong on the 15/40 they used Valvoline Premium Blue 10w30 Diesel.

cummins2020

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know which Valvoline, I only run Rotella oils.

P.S. PLEASE turn off your caps lock, it's considered shouting.
Im sorry...guess im too old to understand all this new fangled world...PLEASE, forgive me for my actions! Thank You!!!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
After reading Brutal_HO post I found paper work from the dealer who performed my oil change and I was wrong on the 15/40 they used Valvoline Premium Blue 10w30 Diesel.

That's good.

Someone posted their service ticket on a FB RV forum and the dealer put 15W40 in his 2019.

Then again, the dealer saw him coming and got him good and hard on the full service. Oil (wrong oil), filter, fuel filters and tire rotation for $800. Some people just don't know any better.

Users who are viewing this thread