Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of cable do you use to connect your phone? Does the type matter?

dm6

Reaction score
I have had my Samsung Galaxy S21 connected using Android Auto where it has worked fine, but also got the device not supported message. Today, I drove several miles using it with no problem but then after unplugging it and plugging it in, it didn't recognize Android Auto. I tried a different cable and it worked. Then later it didn't.

I will say that sometimes when I use these cables, I will get a message saying it is slow charging (not just in the truck, but in other power sources), so maybe there is some issue with these cables. Am I better off just trying a good brand name cable? And maybe get one with USB-C on both ends?

whitexc

Reaction score
As a fellow Droid fella here...I have experienced those issues with my last phone. I just switched to the S21 5G and have to say it's been pretty seemless. I really like the phone coming from Motorolas.

Maybe try a good cable and see if that helps, although I have a mixed bag of genuine Verizon, Samsung and cheapo cords in various places for charging/connecting.

Sent from my semi-smart telephonic device

Jarred

Reaction score
Not sure how old your Galaxy is but if you're getting the issue while plugged into other power sources I recommend giving the charging port a good cleaning. There may be a good amount of lint stuck in there that is affecting the connection. I use a seam ripper to get the lint out but a thumb tack should work.

As for the cable I use, I've had good luck with RAMPOW from Amazon. I've never had a connection issue in either of our vehicles.

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
A high quality one. Never Amazon, etc. I actually purchase my cables from Apple even if they aren’t apple brand (belkin, etc) fake/knockoff cords work like sh**

Bearman95

Reaction score
Amazon basics has always worked well on my iPhone, at home, work, and the truck and the truck before that and my jeep !

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Anything under 30$ for a cable it does not seem to work for long or at all

Sponge60

Reaction score
I've got the same phone. I found that using a USB-C to C cable works well at home and in the Ram. I did choose to get a decent cable from AT&T (my carrier) just for piece of mind. I have had some less expensive ones fail on different phones over the years.

dm6

Reaction score
It doesn't look like there is any lint in the port so I am going to get a new cable. I guess cable does make a difference because sometimes I would plug in an aftermarket cable into a fast charger and it would say that it is only slow charging and you need to use the original Samsung cable and that always worked. I'll try to buy an actual Samsung one, or maybe Anker. Those seem to be high quality and have good recommendations for Android Auto.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I have had great luck with cables now that I am using USB C. I have been keeping a spare in the truck but I haven't had to use it. Android auto gave me fits in my old truck and I had to replace the cable every 10 months or so.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I get a couple years of use out of cable matters or aukey cords. The braided ones hold up much better.

Aukey makes some nice rapid chargers too. I use a few of the double plug high output model PA-T16

I'm not finding any Aukey product on Amz so they must have told them to pound sand or amz gave them the boot. I've NEVER had any trouble with their stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread