Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened to the diesel prices? - in Uconnect that is.

CharlieL

Reaction score
This is strange. On the 1,100-mile trip home with my new 2022 2500, I had the chance to check out the new Uconnect version 5. There are lots of good things to say over the Uconnect that was in my 2013 1500, which I did keep current with the manual updates. All those differences are topics for another thread. This is about diesel price info.

I was amazed when I picked the "gas station" option with the Nav showing my route home. It displayed gas stations along my route, with the diesel prices shown. That was really slick, I thought - it knows exactly the fuel it needs. This, along with the range info, helped me plan my first fuel stop. The price info was spot on. Along the drive home, I compared the accuracy to the price signs along the way & it was always correct. I had never realized before how much more diesel prices are at the truck stops, always seemed to be at least 50 to 60 cents per gallon as compared to any "gas station" nearby.

Things changed after I got home. I didn't make any changes to the settings, other than selecting my home wi-fi network for the OTA updates. Now, I have no diesel pricing at all, and can't get the Nav to display any diesel information whatsoever. There is no option for choosing "diesel" in the "fuel price" selection under the POI choices in the Nav settings. The system defaulted to "regular" and the options are only "regular," "mid-grade" or "premium." This is very strange to me and I can't figure out what happened. Having diesel price is a great feature - I don't care very much about the gasoline prices when looking for diesel.

Maybe RamCares can shed some light on this issue. I'd really like to get the diesel prices to show again as they did on my way home. What great info to have while traveling.

Charlie

TexasT

Reaction score
I had never realized before how much more diesel prices are at the truck stops, always seemed to be at least 50 to 60 cents per gallon as compared to any "gas station" nearby.

What great info to have while traveling.

Charlie
Does sound like a great feature.

As far as truck stops go, they got them by the short hairs as they can't just pull in anywhere and fuel up. Kinda like an airport and their pricing.

CharlieL

Reaction score
Does sound like a great feature.

As far as truck stops go, they got them by the short hairs as they can't just pull in anywhere and fuel up. Kinda like an airport and their pricing.
No question about that! I hate buying food at airports. Overly expensive & usually never really great quality.

Gas prices didn't seem to be an issue for me when traveling & using truck stops. Never before had reason to take note of the diesel prices. Now I do. I've not had trouble with my trailer pulling into most "gas stations," but that might become an issue with a 5th wheel, even a shorter one as we have on order.

CharlieL

Reaction score
So, I'm not sure what happened, but I have diesel price info again. I decided to do a soft reset. Afterwards, things seemed to start working again. Attached are a few pics showing what info the v5 now shows.

Charlie

Attachments

• Uconnect with diesel-list.jpg
    Uconnect with diesel-list.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Uconnect with diesel-map.jpg
    Uconnect with diesel-map.jpg
    599.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Uconnect with diesel-map Dk.jpg
    Uconnect with diesel-map Dk.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 104

CharlieL

Reaction score
My saga continues. This morning I drove the truck; the Uconnect was displaying "mid-grade"! I did another soft reset and the diesel prices came back. I am now suspecting the OTA software update feature may have something to do with this issue, automatically connecting to my home wi-fi network when I pull into my garage & somehow defaulting to gas prices. So, I turned that function off for the time being. Now I wait and see.....

Attachments

• 211004 - 0821 - after overnite.jpg
    211004 - 0821 - after overnite.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 211104 - 1056 after reset.jpg
    211104 - 1056 after reset.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 37

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
This is strange. On the 1,100-mile trip home with my new 2022 2500, I had the chance to check out the new Uconnect version 5. There are lots of good things to say over the Uconnect that was in my 2013 1500, which I did keep current with the manual updates. All those differences are topics for another thread. This is about diesel price info.

I was amazed when I picked the "gas station" option with the Nav showing my route home. It displayed gas stations along my route, with the diesel prices shown. That was really slick, I thought - it knows exactly the fuel it needs. This, along with the range info, helped me plan my first fuel stop. The price info was spot on. Along the drive home, I compared the accuracy to the price signs along the way & it was always correct. I had never realized before how much more diesel prices are at the truck stops, always seemed to be at least 50 to 60 cents per gallon as compared to any "gas station" nearby.

Things changed after I got home. I didn't make any changes to the settings, other than selecting my home wi-fi network for the OTA updates. Now, I have no diesel pricing at all, and can't get the Nav to display any diesel information whatsoever. There is no option for choosing "diesel" in the "fuel price" selection under the POI choices in the Nav settings. The system defaulted to "regular" and the options are only "regular," "mid-grade" or "premium." This is very strange to me and I can't figure out what happened. Having diesel price is a great feature - I don't care very much about the gasoline prices when looking for diesel.

Maybe RamCares can shed some light on this issue. I'd really like to get the diesel prices to show again as they did on my way home. What great info to have while traveling...

Gas prices didn't seem to be an issue for me when traveling & using truck stops. Never before had reason to take note of the diesel prices. Now I do. I've not had trouble with my trailer pulling into most "gas stations," but that might become an issue with a 5th wheel, even a shorter one as we have on order.
So, I'm not sure what happened, but I have diesel price info again. I decided to do a soft reset. Afterwards, things seemed to start working again. Attached are a few pics showing what info the v5 now shows.

My saga continues. This morning I drove the truck; the Uconnect was displaying "mid-grade"! I did another soft reset and the diesel prices came back. I am now suspecting the OTA software update feature may have something to do with this issue, automatically connecting to my home wi-fi network when I pull into my garage & somehow defaulting to gas prices. So, I turned that function off for the time being. Now I wait and see.....

Good afternoon Charlie,

We're so sorry to hear about the concerns you're experiencing with your Uconnect 5 system only intermittently displaying the diesel gas prices. We'd like to look into this for you so that we can carry your positive Uconnect experience into your new vehicle, as well. Please send our team a private message with your VIN and additional details/documentation of any concerns you've noticed.

Thanks in advance,

Courtney
Ram Cares

Chemesherpa

Reaction score
Mine originally did this as well. I did a soft reboot and it changed to diesel... But originally it only showed gas prices with the option to choose which grade... After the reboot I also connected to my wifi to check for software updates and next day still showed diesel prices on map. So I don't think it's to do with Wi-Fi.

CharlieL

Reaction score
Mine originally did this as well. I did a soft reboot and it changed to diesel... But originally it only showed gas prices with the option to choose which grade... After the reboot I also connected to my wifi to check for software updates and next day still showed diesel prices on map. So I don't think it's to do with Wi-Fi.
Thanks for the input. I figured that out as well. Oddly, the diesel prices come back after reboots about half the time. Sometimes I get no prices at all & sometimes I get the default mid-grade. Hopefully RamCares can help figure this out.

Warweasel

Reaction score
I just use GasBuddy. Usually way more up to date than what the truck tells you anyway. Nice to see it on the screen, but I wonder where the data comes from. Kinda like the weather forecasts.

CharlieL

Reaction score
I just use GasBuddy. Usually way more up to date than what the truck tells you anyway. Nice to see it on the screen, but I wonder where the data comes from. Kinda like the weather forecasts.
I’ve used GasBuddy for years as well. It is a super way to get price info. I brought this up because having the info in the Uconnect is a great feature IMO. The problem is the sporadic nature. Sometimes it’s there, most of the time it’s not. Doing a reset doesn’t seem to change anything. I did notice on a recent short trip on the interstate with destination set in nav that diesel prices were displayed. It also seems odd that in the nav settings there is no choice for diesel, just the 3 types of gasoline.

CharlieL

Reaction score
Update ……. Today my Ram said the Uconnect had been updated. At the time, I was about to lower the bed with the air suspension. When I went to the vehicle screen, the bed lowering mode had been replaced with an icon to operate the power running boards, which I don’t have! So did a reset; screen returned to normal. Checked the version, which is MY22.S21C.6. Diesel prices are back. Now I wonder if they are here to stay or not.

Attachments

• EDA6DC3C-F99C-4F72-9D47-46CE94541743.jpeg
    EDA6DC3C-F99C-4F72-9D47-46CE94541743.jpeg
    523.5 KB · Views: 37
  • C63E0376-1D1B-4AB6-B6C1-04C93FBD73B3.jpeg
    C63E0376-1D1B-4AB6-B6C1-04C93FBD73B3.jpeg
    558 KB · Views: 37
  • 18731AF7-0022-4899-88A1-C385950E1118.jpeg
    18731AF7-0022-4899-88A1-C385950E1118.jpeg
    454.3 KB · Views: 36

Myfast70

Reaction score
Mine has never displayed diesel specifically like your does. They all seem to behave a little differently from truck to truck, kind of a bummer

Gkockrow

Reaction score
I’ve used GasBuddy for years as well. It is a super way to get price info. I brought this up because having the info in the Uconnect is a great feature IMO. The problem is the sporadic nature. Sometimes it’s there, most of the time it’s not. Doing a reset doesn’t seem to change anything. I did notice on a recent short trip on the interstate with destination set in nav that diesel prices were displayed. It also seems odd that in the nav settings there is no choice for diesel, just the 3 types of gasoline.
Just took delivery of my 2022 3500 and just get gas price only. Sorry but what is a soft reboot. I’m tech challenged as you can see. Thanks.

CharlieL

Reaction score
Just took delivery of my 2022 3500 and just get gas price only. Sorry but what is a soft reboot. I’m tech challenged as you can see. Thanks.
A Soft reboot resets the radio. It reminds me of rebooting my computer! If you have an 8.4 with the volume knob, push the on/off button and hold till screen goes blank. About 10-15 seconds. See RamCares post below.

Last edited:

Myfast70

Reaction score
I wish the reboot made it work (display diesel pricing) as I've rebooted no less than 30 times since owning it

CharlieL

Reaction score
Here's where things are for me today...... The 21.C.6 software was installed a couple weeks ago; I did a factory reset three days ago & the Uconnect seems more stable. Every day on first start, Nav shows gas prices. Today it had defaulted to regular, last week it was defaulting to premium. I turn off bluetooth on my phone (iPhone using CarPlay) and do a soft reset. After a few minutes (2-3), I do a search for gas stations. Usually the stations show up in a list, sometimes with diesel prices, sometimes not. If not, hit the button to have stations show on map. Most of the time this will result in showing diesel prices. Then turn bluetooth back on. Seems like having bluetooth on during reboot messes things up.

Last edited:

30secboard

Reaction score
going crazy here with this bug. having to rebot every time you go on the road is a pain.
@CharlieL let me ask you about the update,
did you do the update just by connecting the car to your home wifi?
I read online another method via USB.
I checked on ram's site with my VIN and says is up to date, but not sure how accurate this site is.
thanks

CharlieL

Reaction score
The update was over the air while driving around town. My truck is configured for wife updates, through home network also. Every day when the truck starts up, the Nav displays premium fuel prices. I just reboot every day on first drive & that seems to fix things for the day. While it’s a PITA, until a fix comes along it's become part of my regular routine. It's nice info to have while traveling, though.

Attachments

• 105.JPG
    105.JPG
    401.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

w4jrv

Reaction score
I am new here so sorry for this probably asked question before. How do you change the nav system from getting gas prices to getting diesel prices.. I just took delivery on a 2022 2500 with a diesel and the nav is showing me gas prices instead of diesel prices at nearby stations? Again, sorry I know this has been asked before however, I cannot find an easy answer it this question. Thanks

30secboard

Reaction score
I am new here so sorry for this probably asked question before. How do you change the nav system from getting gas prices to getting diesel prices.. I just took delivery on a 2022 2500 with a diesel and the nav is showing me gas prices instead of diesel prices at nearby stations? Again, sorry I know this has been asked before however, I cannot find an easy answer it this question. Thanks

its a software error / bug that they havent fixed.
if you reset you screen by leaving both buttons pressed for 15+ seconds, you’ll see a rebot and then when it comes back, you’ll have diesel prices showing up. you wont event have to change gas type. it will be defaulted to diesel.
that will only last for a couple of hours. the bug will come back showing you regular gas again

sorry to let you know, moppar is not doing much about it

Users who are viewing this thread