Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do TO your RAM today?

PGHChris81

Reaction score
Has anyone added tie down rails to their bed? If so what type and how and where attached. I use a cargo net to cover everything when going camping and had to run rope from the corner tie downs along the bed side so I would have more places to attach the net. It was ugly but it worked. Would like a more permanent solution. Thanks all
I had the same issue when I first joined here and asked the question. I forget who it was because it was so long ago but suggested attaching two chains, one down each side and connect them with a quick link to each end tie down. Give them a little bit of slack, but pretty tight. This allows each link along the side of the bed as a tie down point. This has been one of my favorite and most used mods and was cheap. Whoever it was that told me this was very helpful. I highly recommend it.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
I had the same issue when I first joined here and asked the question. I forget who it was because it was so long ago but suggested attaching two chains, one down each side and connect them with a quick link to each end tie down. Give them a little bit of slack, but pretty tight. This allows each link along the side of the bed as a tie down point. This has been one of my favorite and most used mods and was cheap. Whoever it was that told me this was very helpful. I highly recommend it.
Thanks for the feedback. That would be better than the rope I used but I would still prefer some type of a rail system.

Joe_Lee

Reaction score
Got the 35/12.5R20 Ridge Grapplers installed today at 382 miles on the clock.

Attachments

• D87A967E-CA5B-4E6C-A4C2-DE90951C4761.jpeg
    D87A967E-CA5B-4E6C-A4C2-DE90951C4761.jpeg
    696.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 05C0844B-9AD6-4292-9B34-217899A623D6.jpeg
    05C0844B-9AD6-4292-9B34-217899A623D6.jpeg
    716.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 2506B48C-AFE0-4057-AACA-A54E170D65E7.jpeg
    2506B48C-AFE0-4057-AACA-A54E170D65E7.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 8910A452-C477-46CC-A677-47EE7F456D5A.jpeg
    8910A452-C477-46CC-A677-47EE7F456D5A.jpeg
    766.4 KB · Views: 59

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
When Jim Frens, a ride and handling vehicle dynamics engineer from DaimlerChrysler, joined AEV around fifteen years ago, he took the front suspension and steering of a lifted vehicle to such a high level that even today, no other company has been able to duplicate. The numbers, more specifically, the angles of the track bar and drag link relative to each other and their relation to the horizon, are what is important. Here is a shot from under my AEV Prospector.

View attachment 53735

My truck is stock height... not sure what lifting has to do with my truck.
You're gonna have to explain it to me like I'm stupid, because I am...
Both drag link and tie rod were set to the same length as OEM.. if they are off, it can't be more than a 1/4".
Both drag link and tie rod are 'flat and level' when the truck on the ground under it's own weight...

In your pic, the OEM tie rod is in line with the steering stabilizer.
Granted my pic is at a bit of an angle as I was laying on the floor, but the Synergy tie rod sits just above the steering stabilizer and not in line like the OEW tie rod.
Again, I'm out of town and can post a better 'head on' pic once I'm back.

1679431390699.png

UglyViking

Reaction score
Both drag link and tie rod were set to the same length as OEM.. if they are off, it can't be more than a 1/4".
Both drag link and tie rod are 'flat and level' when the truck on the ground under it's own weight...

Granted my pic is at a bit of an angle as I was laying on the floor, but the Synergy tie rod sits just above the steering stabilizer and not in line like the OEW tie rod.

View attachment 53763
Don't mind Chet, he just feels the need to let everyone know how superior he is for choosing the bag of spacer brackets that AEV does for their lift. Better not ask too many questions or he will throw walls of AEVs marketing lingo at you ;)

I do recommend following his build thread if you don't though. Guy goes on some amazing adventures and takes fantastic photos of his trips.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

View attachment 53763
Maybe I over looked it but what steering links are those and why did you change from The factory setup? I don’t believe steering stabilizers “do anything” but I prefer the factory location of it.

UGARude

Reaction score
Man that looks good. 37s look right on these trucks and even make 20s look proportionate.
I couldn't agree more. Wish they would roll out of the factory on this setup or at least make it an option.

UGARude

Reaction score
how do you like the ride on those 37s, any issues at highway speeds Or getting them balanced?
The ride is just as good as stock. I just went with the spacer kit and shock extensions for now since the shocks are brand new but will upgrade a little later once I get some miles on it. They didn't have a bit of trouble with the balancing and rides like factor at highway speeds.

phatboy64

Reaction score
The ride is just as good as stock. I just went with the spacer kit and shock extensions for now since the shocks are brand new but will upgrade a little later once I get some miles on it. They didn't have a bit of trouble with the balancing and rides like factor at highway speeds.
Thanks…I have some Falkan AT3s on order with some fuel wheels and have been getting worried.

The spacers you mention, are they wheel spacers of coil spacers to level the front. looks like those are on the factory wheels…looks nice

UGARude

Reaction score
Thanks…I have some Falkan AT3s on order with some fuel wheels and have been getting worried.

The spacers you mention, are they wheel spacers of coil spacers to level the front. looks like those are on the factory wheels…looks nice
They're 2.5" coil spacers. I'm not running wheel spacers right now so there is a very slight rub at full lock but my F250 that I drove for the last three years was the same way so I guess I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me that bad. Those tires and wheel are going to look nice on that new Limited when you get it!

cjh1669

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. Wish they would roll out of the factory on this setup or at least make it an option.
37s start to decrease gas milage and most people are buying these trucks for work and tow vehicles. I can't see themadding that option for the few

Users who are viewing this thread