Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vehicle Performance TSB 18-012-21 REV A. (RTT 21-027)

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I just had this TSB installed.

I had to show the Service Advisor where on the work order it was. She didn't have a clue. They at first said they couldn't do it "under warranty" for my truck. I pushed back.

I think the shifting is worse. I wouldn't call it harsh, but I also wouldn't call it firm. More "abrupt."

The 1-2 upshift seems to happen immediately off a start. It will be interesting to see what it does towing a load.
The 2-3 lockup seems more pronounced. That shift-lockup(shift) much more noticeable.

Haven't had a chance to evaluate a change in the cold idle roughness yet.

How is your trans shifting now? Does the Aisin trans go back into "learning mode" after a flash? I was told it takes quite a while for 68RFE.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
How is your trans shifting now? Does the Aisin trans go back into "learning mode" after a flash? I was told it takes quite a while for 68RFE.

Frankly, I've not driven it enough to see any further change and it still shifts worse (more harsh) than it did before. Even, dare I say, seems to a have a little shift flare which wasn't there before and isn't welcome at all.

I have to assume (hope) it's still relearning.

P.S. thanks a lot for the label printer thread, now I'm spending money on shrink tubing carts for my printer to see how well they work. :rolleyes:

RTillery

Reaction score
After a little verbal wrestling with the Colorado dealer here, I finally got this update a couple of weeks ago. After the VB6 recall done back in June, I had the surging under light load and a shudder when on cruise control. I did about 1500 miles over to Utah (saw the Industrial Injection guys) and the truck seems to be performing much better after the update. Better 1st gear response and power seems better down low. Seems to be close to back to where it was when I first got the truck in June of 2019. 45,000 miles and finally running good again.

I came from an old 04 NV5600 tranny so the Aisin seems to be shifting nicely and through the 2 updates, firm without an noticeable flare between shifts. I've not really noticed any difference though the two flashes. Maybe the dealer hasn't screwed with the Aisen computer.

Hey Brutal, I'm here in Douglas County too. Which dealer have you been working with? Could the SA be Britinni?

For the guys that haven't seen a 3000HP Cummins come unglued, here's the video. They said the block split along the cam bore, and the camshaft was laying in parking lot in one piece!

Birton

Reaction score
After a little verbal wrestling with the Colorado dealer here, I finally got this update a couple of weeks ago. After the VB6 recall done back in June, I had the surging under light load and a shudder when on cruise control. I did about 1500 miles over to Utah (saw the Industrial Injection guys) and the truck seems to be performing much better after the update. Better 1st gear response and power seems better down low. Seems to be close to back to where it was when I first got the truck in June of 2019. 45,000 miles and finally running good again.

I came from an old 04 NV5600 tranny so the Aisin seems to be shifting nicely and through the 2 updates, firm without an noticeable flare between shifts. I've not really noticed any difference though the two flashes. Maybe the dealer hasn't screwed with the Aisen computer.

Hey Brutal, I'm here in Douglas County too. Which dealer have you been working with? Could the SA be Britinni?

For the guys that haven't seen a 3000HP Cummins come unglued, here's the video. They said the block split along the cam bore, and the camshaft was laying in parking lot in one piece!
Good lord Ethel! I'll stick with the stock tunning :cool:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, AN on Arapahoe. I bought the truck from them too.

There was a bit of friction this last time (first time with her as SA) but we worked through it and I think she's now being a bit more cooperative. They still refused to give me a WiTech scan report saying she would get fired for it, LOL. Certainly surprised when I showed them the first one I had in hand...

RTillery

Reaction score
I started at AN over a year ago trying to get my wheel to wheel running boards replaced. The passenger side chrome was bubbling and while not completely flaked loose, I knew the silver dollar sized piece would come off at some point. The SA took pictures and said he'd have to send them to Chrysler for replacement approval. After a few contacts, that SA was gone and Chrysler had no records of the request. I started over with Britinni when the VB6 recall was done. When I brought it in she took new pictures of the boards and I thought it might finally happen.

I got the truck home and was shocked to see my bedstep removed. I went back and they said Chrysler had ordered them removed until a replacement was available. So now I have a truck that I'm starting to realize isn't running as well, no bedstep, and bad chrome on the running board. After a couple more visits with no progress on the sideboards, I found the TSB on the surging VB6. She told me I'd have to pay for an hour at $180 to get updated cuz I was now over 36,000 miles and it would be about a month before I could get an appointment. Grrrrrrr.

I gave up on the running boards, finally got the bedstep done, and decided to get the TSB reflash done even if I had to pay. They wound up doing it at no charge. Truck was finally feeling good again at 45,000 miles. Then things got even better. Low and behold, Britinni called me out of the blue last week and said she'd finally gotten approval on the bubbly chrome running boards. I half expected them to just replace the bad passenger side, but tip of the hat, they did them both. Britinni came through in the end.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I got a little push back at first on this TSB request. At first saying, "it's not covered under warranty." Huh? I gave them a copy of the TSB with my "customer concerns" highlighted.

I don't get it, they get reimbursed by FCA for the book time if they get off their ass and do a little checking and code it as indicated in the TSB. I know they're busy, but when you make an appointment weeks out and put in ALL the items online AND they go over it with you AND you tell them to keep it for a few days if needed. SMH.

I had the AC fix done as well and they surprised me with that one by ordering/receiving parts in 2 days and keeping the truck. I was expecting to have to bring it back so I didn't pull off a few things. iDrive (wasn't plugged in), NAViKS box and I had some temp wires stuffed under the dash from an RCA extension I ran to the NAViKS.

It was in for the step recall as well and I made it clear to them that if they did not have the part as promised they were, in no uncertain terms, not to remove the step.

As posted in the AC TSB thread, they cut the leather panel around my 4x4 selector and are now one week past the promised call back to replace that and... they will get to listen to the crickets I now have under the hood that they claimed "NTF" on the work order.

camojimmy

Reaction score
it's been a few weeks now since this update. No issues to report, truck runs great and isn't drinking DEF.

I did mention earlier about some strange noise at cold start. It happened once and i haven't heard it since.

steve49

Reaction score
I stopped by the dealership with this TSB in hand and the first thing the SA said was, we don't do TSB's you would have to pay for it, I could tell she didn't like that I had that TSB in hand! I immediately informed her of what the TSB states about covered under warranty etc., and she wrote up the appointment order. Had the truck done Thursday, seems to drive better, can't speak on the DEF use till I fill the tank and see how many miles I get out of it.

carlrx7

Reaction score
Just got back from a 900 mile trip towing the 16k 5th wheel. At first, 2nd gear lockup was hitting like a mule. It either learned to smooth out the lockup or I started giving it slightly more throttle to keep it happy. Nothing else to report except 5th gear + 3.73s = 65mph = 2000rpm sweet spot... cruise control never downshifted any hill. In 6th I had to be going 75+(Texas speed limits) (bit too quick for the traffic and winds) for it to hold using cruise control.

Jcrawford

Reaction score

Hey what was your surging problem? I’ve been looking for a thread with the same problems I’ve been having. On start up after it’s been sitting in a hot day when I leave work and ease down a long drive to the highway if I let off the throttle it will hump and surge and you can watch the tach bounce about 300 rpm up and down. Pop it into neutral it stops, but can’t seem to find what gear it does it in between first and second.

RTillery

Reaction score
Hey what was your surging problem? I’ve been looking for a thread with the same problems I’ve been having. On start up after it’s been sitting in a hot day when I leave work and ease down a long drive to the highway if I let off the throttle it will hump and surge and you can watch the tach bounce about 300 rpm up and down. Pop it into neutral it stops, but can’t seem to find what gear it does it in between first and second.
Mine wasn't doing the tach bounce thing that I noticed. When in adaptive cruise it would fall off pretty hard when I came up on someone, and then buck hard if I pulled out to pass. On a slight uphill in cruise it would give me a slight surge. So far at 55,000 miles the Aisin has been pretty solid and the TSB has fixed the surging issue.

Users who are viewing this thread