Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chuck754

Reaction score
I upgraded to a HD Ram but my Andersen hitch, my bike rack, my motorcycle carrier and my hitchsafe all use 2” receivers. I currently have a 4” rack on my Andersen hitch and won’t really know until I can get to the trailer (currently snowed-in at storage) to measure whether or not I need an 8” rack to accommodate my travel trailer. If I do I will go with a 2.5” rack to eliminate hitch chatter. But in order to utilize all my other items I went ahead and got an adapter to accommodate 2” items and if my current 4” Andersen rack works I will put up with some chatter. Either way, I think I will need to buy some 11” chain extenders from Andersen.

There are always added/hidden expenses when trading vehicles—never even thought about the 2.5” receiver on the HD Ram until I got her home.

So, when looking for adapter sleeves I see tons of choices on Amazon and from every major hitch company. I also see some good reviews on adaptors but also some dissatisfied consumers with hitch chatter and the inconvenience of dealing with an adapter, plus most are rated as class C even though they are in a 2.5” receiver. I finally checked at Mopar and found one that is rated the same as the HD hitch, and has a great and easy fit. Because it has a lip on it, when you bottom it out the holes are automatically lined up-made by and for HD Ram. I actually saved money going to my local Ram parts store,paying MSRP of $31, over ordering it on-line and having to pay shipping. Here is a picture of the sleeve on-line—maybe someone else can benefit.
24C23EEB-DFC1-4950-BACA-ECDFB3851B21.png

Chuck754

Reaction score
Ah okay, didn’t know that. I bought my Big Horn used but I will check compartments again and under the passenger seat. Thanks

jsalbre

Reaction score
Hopefully it’s there. I’m sure it’s a common item to not make it on to second owners.

Chuck754

Reaction score
Nope-in the group that did not get one. But found a brand new Jeep tow strap and front grill cover. Maybe I’m ahead! Ha

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Mine came with one. If he bought his used them the previous owner might have removed it. Mine is a mega cab so I keep the adapter in the compartment behind the seats.

Drew M

Reaction score
I seem to remember that the adaptor was included, then dropped because of “supply chain issues”.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The adapter came with my ‘18 and my ‘22.

If you use the adapter with things like bike racks I would get an anti rattle device too.

I would use this as an opportunity to get a WDH that is 2.5” and not the Andersen.

I have one WDH where I simply had a reducing sleeve welded to the 2” shank, and on the other I bought a new shank since I needed a bigger drop.

Will_T

Reaction score
Hopefully it’s there. I’m sure it’s a common item to not make it on to second owners.

Ha! Yes, I have seen posts other places where people have lost theirs. You need to remember to remove it every time or leave a pin in it. Otherwise, it gets left on the road somewhere. I rarely use mine but have almost forgotten it a few times.

flan

Reaction score
Ha! Yes, I have seen posts other places where people have lost theirs. You need to remember to remove it every time or leave a pin in it. Otherwise, it gets left on the road somewhere. I rarely use mine but have almost forgotten it a few times.
I found one not too long ago. Figured I turn around and grab it before the next guy does.

Users who are viewing this thread