Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using the 115V in the bed for emergency

cycling4life

Reaction score
I have a 60A Renogy DCDC charger on my trailer, wired up with 2AWG from the truck battery and 4AWG from the charger to the trailer battery bank.

I was looking at doing this too when I switch to lithiums. I won't get solar immediately but would like to charge the lithiums while in transit. Could you share how you routed the 2AWG wires from the 2 batteries in the hood to the back of the truck.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I was looking at doing this too when I switch to lithiums. I won't get solar immediately but would like to charge the lithiums while in transit. Could you share how you routed the 2AWG wires from the 2 batteries in the hood to the back of the truck.
I hooked the negative directly to the battery bar (not the battery itself, as you don’t want to skip the battery sensor), and the positive from the high amp power point to a 300A solenoid, actuated by an ignition hot. I ran both wires down the back of the wheel well and then along the frame all the way to the bumper.

cycling4life

Reaction score
I hooked the negative directly to the battery bar (not the battery itself, as you don’t want to skip the battery sensor), and the positive from the high amp power point to a 300A solenoid, actuated by an ignition hot. I ran both wires down the back of the wheel well and then along the frame all the way to the bumper.
With this setup, is there a risk of damaging the trucks' alternator from putting out more amps than it needs to? Did you also had to do anything with the 7 way connector so that it doesn't charge the lithiums using that? Thanks again!

jsalbre

Reaction score
With this setup, is there a risk of damaging the trucks' alternator from putting out more amps than it needs to? Did you also had to do anything with the 7 way connector so that it doesn't charge the lithiums using that? Thanks again!
I had the dual alternators (380A total) on my Ram, so I really could have run 2 of those things and had room to spare. I’m running it from my Jeep right now, and even it has never struggled to keep up with its 260A single alternator. If you’re running lithium you need to disconnect the charge line from the 7 pin at the trailer side. Lithiums run higher voltage than lead acid so if the 7 pin is connected with the engine off your lithium batteries would be constantly trying to charge the truck battery.

Users who are viewing this thread