Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

usb issues

mikef

Reaction score
hi everyone anybody having usb issues in regards to playing music from a usb storage device..... 22 2500 larimie ...

John Jensen

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie plays USB music ONLY from the rear compartment (back side of the console), driver side USB.

mikef

Reaction score
my issue is that it picks up only a portion of my downloaded music rams response to the issue is that the system will only play mp3 format my 2021 1500 that i had previous to this truck played the whole library on the usb...... does that sound right....

John Jensen

Reaction score
my issue is that it picks up only a portion of my downloaded music rams response to the issue is that the system will only play mp3 format my 2021 1500 that i had previous to this truck played the whole library on the usb...... does that sound right....
Maybe they are right. I just checked my USB of music, There are nearly 1800 songs, all mp3. It's been awhile, can't remember, but I may have had to convert them to mp3.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie plays USB music ONLY from the rear compartment (back side of the console), driver side USB.

Strange. My 2020 Laramie will play from USB storage on the front USB 2.

Grayson

Reaction score
I only have a problem when I use Napster to do the file transfer to .mp3

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Does it show all the music but just wont play it all?

mikef

Reaction score
well i converted all my music files to mp3 and it still does the same thing only picking up 60 or so songs out of over 800 songs off to the dealer again....

skidmarx

Reaction score
My '21 Laramie plays okay from both front USB media ports - my wife uses USB 1, while I use USB 2. Between our flash drives, there are 1000s of songs - around 1,500 on hers, not quite 3,000 on mine. They are a combination of mostly MP3, but there are some M4A purchased thru iTunes. They all must be unencrypted - in other words ripped from CD or purchase downloaded thru a store like Amazon music (or the many other services that sell MP3 formatted files). If it's subscription music, or something copied over from streaming, they are likely to be encrypted.

My issue with playing large catalogs centers around the shuffle algorithms, which don't handle large catalogs well. I find they select a pool of 200-300 songs, and then shuffle between that. To fix that, I've turned off Shuffle, and then turned it back on so it selects a new pool. It's the same thing on my car (Honda), only Uconnect takes longer... But without shuffle on, I can navigate thru the entire catalog, which would almost be worse than texting if I did it while I was moving.

Another thing to consider, is Uconnect makes extensive use of the metadata within the MP3 files. If your files are ripped from CD, and haven't been "massaged" by a media application like iTunes or Windows Media Player, then that metadata is likely missing. I don't know how Uconnect reacts to that.

Main thing I wish they'd change is allow the restart of the last song playing to be optional...

Sleepyweasel

Reaction score
I have a 2020 3500. I have an IPod that the truck use to recognize all of the music on it, now it says file reading error. It only sees 1 file, no album art or anything. I can use the up and down button on the steering wheel and it will switch to another track and play the song. I have reset the IPod but it still does the same thing.

skidmarx

Reaction score
I don't have experience with Apple devices, so I'm guessing here. If it used to work, and doesn't now, it can only be a couple of things:
  1. It has become defective (or the cable...)
  2. An iPod update, or truck update has introduced issues
If the device still works as a standalone iPod - then to me - it's a cable or software issue.
If the content isn't subscription (FairPlay), and is unencrypted, I would sync the library over to a flash drive and just use that. With phones having tons of storage available, you might try syncing the library to a phone, and use bluetooth, or USB into the phone file system. Again, I'm shooting into the dark, but hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread