Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading to a 2500 HEMI

TRAM2500!

Reaction score
Hi all. So trading in my 2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn etorque for a 2023 2500 Bighorn.
Looking for advice and input on any experiences with what might be a must have and what to stay away from.
Gearing towards the 2500 Big Horn, off-road package, well equipped.
Any opinions would be appreciated.

jetrinka

Reaction score
You'll likely get 99 different answers from 100 different people.

It all depends on your needs. The common consensus is the Hemi 2500 works well for someone that tows occasionally under 10k and something that doesn't have a lot of tongue or pin weight as the 2500 suffers from payload. A 3500 gives much more payload especially in Hemi form but will have a rougher ride. A diesel will haul much more around and is the obvious choice if towing a lot more frequently or more weight. It gives up some payload though which can be important when deciding.

Depending on what you're towing and how often, a Hemi 2500 can be a very nice truck to live with.

Beldin

Reaction score
I have a 2500 HEMI. I tow a small 5th wheel maybe one or two weekends max per month, except winter. I do watch my weights carefully. I also did coil replacement reverse level airbags in the rear. I got a limited as I like all the features and they are very helpful when towing. I drive an hour each way to work, but only a couple of days per week. I do use it running errands. Really comfortable ride. The best riding truck I have ever owned! I am an experienced 5th owner. I have had duallies and 3500s before with big trailers to pull. I much prefer this setup as both are small and easy to get into places. I will say I do miss having a little margin a 3500 and a diesel would provide when towing, but I do not miss the crappy ride and paying more for fuel! You will find what works for you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDaddyKong

Reaction score
Best thing I like about mine is the long bed with the 50 gallon gas tank. It does great on long trips, and cuts down on the need to stop so frequently when towing.

BadKarma

Reaction score
I have a 2500 hemi solely as a grocery getter
And hauling A$$ like I can’t afford speeding tickets. I don’t tow and don’t plan on it. Mostly use the truck to get to work and drop my kids off With some remodeling sprinkled in there with some trails in the fall and hunting season.

TRAM2500!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys.
I wound up with a 2022 2500 Laramie.
Picking it up next week.
I am towing a 36’ 8K weight travel trailer. Been using my 1500 with no issue so this should be much easier.
I am transferring my load lifter 5000 air bags over and will be installing S&G CAI.
Other than that not planning any performance upgrades. Don’t think it’s needed?
Just cosmetic stuff like LED lights and bed cover.

BigDaddyKong

Reaction score
It will be a huge upgrade for you, and I think you will enjoy the difference. I was amazed at just hauling my Ranger on my heavy trailer and the difference in towing over my Tundra.

BikePilot

Reaction score
Congratulations that will be a big upgrade over the 1500. I doubt the CAI will add much if any power but you may like it for noise.

There is a lot you can do with the suspension depending on your use case and preferences. Almost anyone not using a slide in camper would be well served with Thuren front springs, shocks, track bay, and sway bar. Huge ride improvement on and off road.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys.
I wound up with a 2022 2500 Laramie.
Picking it up next week.
I am towing a 36’ 8K weight travel trailer. Been using my 1500 with no issue so this should be much easier.
I am transferring my load lifter 5000 air bags over and will be installing S&G CAI.
Other than that not planning any performance upgrades. Don’t think it’s needed?
Just cosmetic stuff like LED lights and bed cover.

The airbags likely won’t transfer over, I’d just get a new kit designed for the 2500.

I wouldn’t waste your money on a CAI, the OEM intake is a CAI and the OEM filter is better than aftermarket ones for flow and filtration. You won’t have any actual gains.

That truck should suit you well.

TRAM2500!

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Great help!
Better asking the ones with experience then trying to Google this stuff.
Ok so exhaust. Any suggestions? CAI paired with a Cat back system??
Nothing to loud but want to know exhaust was upgraded.
The airbags likely won’t transfer over, I’d just get a new kit designed for the 2500.

I wouldn’t waste your money on a CAI, the OEM intake is a CAI and the OEM filter is better than aftermarket ones for flow and filtration. You won’t have any actual gains.

That truck should suit well.

That truck should suit you well.
Couldn’t I transfer over the bags and just get new mounting brackets?
Save me a few hundred bucks.

TRAM2500!

Reaction score
Congratulations that will be a big upgrade over the 1500. I doubt the CAI will add much if any power but you may like it for noise.

There is a lot you can do with the suspension depending on your use case and preferences. Almost anyone not using a slide in camper would be well served with Thuren front springs, shocks, track bay, and sway bar. Huge ride improvement on and off road.
Sounds like a big suspension upgrade? Something I’d need to drop off at a shop.
Does that also lift the truck. It stands nice now but at some point want to do a small lift. Maybe 2”.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you looking for noise or performance from the exhaust?

You won’t pickup much power, just sound. If your towing often that may get old… making myself sound old :rolleyes:

If the bags are the same part number then yes this it’s feasible to just buy new brackets. At the end of the day I doubt you save much.

Have you checked out timber grove airbags?

Last edited:

BikePilot

Reaction score
Sounds like a big suspension upgrade? Something I’d need to drop off at a shop.
Does that also lift the truck. It stands nice now but at some point want to do a small lift. Maybe 2”.
They have many options ranging from (for my diesel anyway) 0.5" lift to 3.0" I think. Huge increase in ride quality, and again options from mild to wild on shocks. I did mine myself in my driveway. The suspension on these trucks is pretty easy to work on.

TRAM2500!

Reaction score
Another question to put out IMG_5223.pngthere. Auxiliary switches. Truck has the standard switches but I want to replace them with auxiliary switches I can hook up my Led lights front and hitch to.
Is it hard to do and any suggestions on brands?

Reaction score
100% the 2500 is one of the best trucks I’ve driven. I’ve had a hemi 6.4 2500 (2021) and now have a 23 Cummins Laramie mega cab 2500. It’s a fantastic rig. I love the Cummins. The hemi is also good, throw a borla exhaust on and it sounds great, saves some weight also.

That said the 1500 is good as well, both are best in class, compared to other brands imo, I’ve had both F150s and F250s and prefer the ram every time. The biggest thing you’ll need to get used to is the ride, these trucks ride fantastic, extremely smooth, but the stock shocks are designed to tow and do not soften bumps easily additionally they come with over pressurized tires you need to air down to something like 65-70 front and 65 rear then it’s perfect. For the shocks I’ve replaced the stock shocks with fox 2.0s on both my current Laramie and the hemi prior. Night and day. If you get one with the off road package those have the billstein shocks and are better than the regular ones.

The big horn is good, if you can stomach a Laramie it’s worth it for the LEDs and other nice to haves frankly.

TRAM2500!

Reaction score
currently have on my 2022, 2500 Laramie 285/60/20 tires.
Want to upgrade to a larger tire.
Any suggestions on tire size and brand? Thanks.

Reaction score
currently have on my 2022, 2500 Laramie 285/60/20 tires.
Want to upgrade to a larger tire.
Any suggestions on tire size and brand? Thanks.
i had 295/60/20's and raceline wheels on my 22 2500 HEMI, i just ordered 285/65/20 falken wildpeaks (my favorite all terrain), for the cummins with method wheels.. Should have them this week.

The 295's rubbed the weathertech mud flap a tad, so i swapped out with the rekgen ones, for the cummins, i have rokblokz so shouldnt be an issue. +18 offset on the aftermarket wheels.

Lot of folks do either size i mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread