Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unloaded Tire Pressure to Ease the Ride

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the tire pressure indication is an indication only on a 3500.....no alarms. I think I ran 65 on my fronts and much lower on the rears on my last dually. It will ride better, but it is a 3500 and is not going to be Cadillac plush!

Don-T

Reaction score
My new dually is jolting my fillings out.

I have received many different solutions for the same problem, including one gentleman who suggested that I simply man up and take my rough riding dually like a man. July 4th this year, I purchased a 2019 RAM 3500 HD Crew Cab 4x4 long bed dually. While I've own a couple of 1/2 ton pickups, this was my first 1 ton, my first dually, and my first 4x4. I've recently retired and my wife and I have visions of traveling the country via a 5th wheel.

Now I must say, I love the physical aspect of my truck. It has more bells and whistles than I know how to use, and it is truly a "manly" truck. However, since my towing will not be the bulk of my driving, I need a truck that is comfortable to drive unloaded. Now I know and expected that the truck would not ride like a passenger car, but I did not expect the gut wrenching ride that I get unload. It makes it difficult to speak and it can be painful. So what have I done to correct this?

I first contacted the service department at Demontrond Dodge in Conroe, Texas. After all, who better to understand your vehicle than the persons who repair it. Over several days, I spoke to 5 different people and I got 5 different opinions, including "I don't know". In other words, they didn't have a clue.

I read about reducing tire pressure. Since I received the truck with 80 psi all around, I thought if I lowered to the recommended psi on the door post, that would help. No, it didn't. I purchased and had installed what is called Sulastic Shackles. They are recommended by many on the internet and are reported to make a 1 ton truck ride like a 1/2 ton truck. Well, with my 1 ton truck, they make it ride like a … errr … well … a 1 ton tuck.

I'm now considering lowering my rears to 45-50 psi and the front to 70 psi. My concern is that I have the tire pressure monitoring system, which will send an audible alarm and graphic display if the sensors think the pressure is too low. I research the manual and I don't think this system can be shut off.

So, I'm asking all of you more experience truck owners, what can I do to gain a smoother ride without carrying a load?
Your 3500 doesn’t have tire pressure alarms, the 2500s do. I used to run my dually at 65 front and 35 rear when unloaded. I have an air compressor to raise the air pressure for towing.

Cummins0867

Reaction score
Howdy,
Tell us more.
ok
295/60/20 tires are on.
You have mud flaps on.
Stock suspension?
Any clearance issues?
Any rubbing?
lift? level?

Finally someone with a tire size I am looking at. But with a stock suspension and no rubbing issues I hope. :)
Im running the same exact tires that he's running on factory wheels with no issues. I have mud flaps, stock suspension, no lift or level, I have no rubbing anywhere. I also have factory rear air suspension on a 2019 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4. The rims are off a 2017 Ram HD.

I will also tell you that it was not on purpose that I had over 7000lbs on the rear axle. I wasn't worried about the axle...I was worried about the tires. I had them pumped up to 80psi and drove a couple hundred miles in the heat with no issues. the tires have about 15K on them and are wearing well.

Attachments

• IMG_3989 (1).JPG
    IMG_3989 (1).JPG
    378 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3990 (1).JPG
    IMG_3990 (1).JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4233.jpg
    IMG_4233.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 48

MrMopar

Reaction score
Just swapped out tires (285×70×17) to 35x12.5x17, pressure lowered to 52 psi at Dealer, NO Light, front or rear.

Attachments

• 20190809_132109.jpg
    20190809_132109.jpg
    764 KB · Views: 52
  • 20190809_133018.jpg
    20190809_133018.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 51

slimchance

Reaction score
i leave my 5th whl hitch in the back (250#s) for ride but also had a problem at 80# all around with wondering/drifting in my lane .... lower the tire pressure to 75# all around and the wondering/drifting stopped

Users who are viewing this thread