Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uneducated in the ways of the custom wheel - Help

StrayCat

Reaction score
Hi folks, I just took deliver of mine RAM 2500 Diesel. and I plan to get some custom wheels and tires for it (same side as stock, nothing radical). I dont want wheels sticking out wide, I just want the stock stance, and of course no rubbing cutting (stock tire size will be going on - just not the Firestone on/off road it cam with, theyre useless IMHO)

My stock rims are 18x8, most aftermarket wheels in 18" size are 18x9 - this means (I think) that I need to consider what Offset I need, and I have no clue how to determine what offset to order for what wheel (im sure different wheels need different offsets for my truck?).

some wheels come with 00 offset, some with +18 offset and Im clueless as to what I should buy

Is there a way to know ?. These things are too expensive to make a mess of ordering the wrong wheels.

Delar parts guy said I needed +18 offset to compensate for the 9" wide rim, while some wheels only show a 00 offset for my truck

Im lost

appreciate any advice and insight

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
You can go to a site called custom offsets and put in parameters and see actual builds and what the truck looks like with each offset, etc. helped me choose as I wanted the same as you did. I ended up with 18x9 +18 offset. Tires like out a little but can’t help it going to 35’s.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The stocks are +57 offset so if you want wheels with similar stance thats what you are looking for. The lower the number the further they will stick out in MM

This tool will help you with figuring out the tire poke from different wheels

StrayCat

Reaction score
Thanks

I was told the offset is dependent on the rim width.

The stock rims are 8” wide

Most aftermarket are 9”.

Dealer told me I need a +18 Offset But IDK

Most of the RAMS on the customoffsets.com are +18 and stick out a little bit.

Not many out there with a bigger positive offset that I can find.

I’ll keep looking

Thanks for the reply

Dinky503

Reaction score
Thanks

I was told the offset is dependent on the rim width.

The stock rims are 8” wide

Most aftermarket are 9”.

Dealer told me I need a +18 Offset But IDK

Most of the RAMS on the customoffsets.com are +18 and stick out a little bit.

Not many out there with a bigger positive offset that I can find.

I’ll keep looking

Thanks for the reply

CJC has a method racing exclusive 17in wheel with a +25 offset. made the tires flush to the fender with no Flares. I had them on my 3500 but not much tire selection for weight rating. A 2500 you should be fine with those wheels.

Last edited:

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
For reference, this is leveled with 37s. You can fit 35s with no level and these wheels. If you have fender flares, they won’t stick out with a 12.50 inch tire.

Method 305s 20x9 +20 offset I believe

Tank for scale

Attachments

• 9126569B-7353-4AD0-9A3A-236241B967C8.jpeg
    9126569B-7353-4AD0-9A3A-236241B967C8.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 5C0B4608-FF61-4583-A505-E5DDD431A2E1.jpeg
    5C0B4608-FF61-4583-A505-E5DDD431A2E1.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 51

StrayCat

Reaction score
Cheers, I’ll see if any of our suppliers here in northern Canada can get them.

There is my other issue. Seems we have more limited supply than the USA, a lot of stuff that I like, I can not get and shipping cost from the USA is madness.

I’m sure I’ll find something.

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
I ordered from Custom Offsets, they were pretty good to work with.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Plenty of pics of members trucks here with different wheels on them to use as examples. Custom offset website is a great resource, as stated.

Pick a “stance” you like and go with it.

I knew I wanted to add flares to mine so I went a tiny bit wider than stock. Personally don’t like the look of stock wheels with flares added on (common on tundras, seems like) just depends on what you like

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I’m in Canada , so shipping from the USA costs as much as the wheels. I wish they were local.
There are many canadian vendors that can get you better price check out Tdotperformance.com or other canadian vendors sometimes worth calling for ease

StrayCat

Reaction score
Yea, thanks , I’m hoping a local pace can get me what I want so I can save shipping costs. I know what I want now, so that’s half the battle.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Ok, new one for me, what is “ scrub radius” ?
Draw an imaginary line through your steering pivot points (ball joints) and an imaginary line through the center of your tire. In a perfect world they would intersect at the ground. Adding scrub radius adds steering weight. As you go taller you can go wider and keep the same scrub radius

Users who are viewing this thread