Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect Wifi dead for good?

pinco

Reaction score
I rely on Att wifi in my 2020 ram for business. I use my cell but also use an iPad and Mac on a ram mount. The wifi went dead in the first week of February, and it’s now June, still no wifi. I contacted Att and they wasted my time with “open your door, close your door, restart the engine, change your password etc”. After doing my own research I found out that the cell signal comes from stellantis. I also read that all 3g units were being discontinued in 2022. Did my brand new 2020 actually have 3g? Why the hell wasn’t I told the truth? I’ve been paying monthly for a Service I need, and planned on using long term, and it’s now doomed? I’m livid, and how do I even update uconnect or maps now, even though I prefer Google maps via CarPlay?

pinco

Reaction score
I rely on Att wifi in my 2020 ram for business. I use my cell but also use an iPad and Mac on a ram mount. The wifi went dead in the first week of February, and it’s now June, still no wifi. I contacted Att and they wasted my time with “open your door, close your door, restart the engine, change your password etc”. After doing my own research I found out that the cell signal comes from stellantis. I also read that all 3g units were being discontinued in 2022. Did my brand new 2020 actually have 3g? Why the hell wasn’t I told the truth? I’ve been paying monthly for a Service I need, and planned on using long term, and it’s now doomed? I’m livid, and how do I even update uconnect or maps now, even though I prefer Google maps via CarPlay?
Anyone’s Wifi dead since February?

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
…not sure what that is. Definitely got tired of the way the truck would mess with my phone, she did something to disconnect it. Now, if only her phone would quit messing with the truck.

CVDaddy

Reaction score
My wifi has stopped working a couple times. 6 or so months apart. I disconnected both batteries for and hour and the wifi came back. The Uconnect takes a couple hours to get back to normal. The HVAC just blows warm air and the surround cameras don't work. I learned this from another thread on this forum.
I was having issues with the wifi working on my 2020. If you have issues with it and the system is up to date, you can see if you can change the password. If you cannot change the password, you have to disconnect both batteries and de-energize the system. Then hook it back up and bingo, your wifi will work again and not trip to the dealership. A nice trick I learned out in a field. Keep a tool kit in your truck for little things like this. It has 2 or 3 different size bolts on them. IDK about 2022 yet, but I bet it is the same.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Could it have something to do with this information from SiriusXM about cancelling the subscription? See in bold.

Your choices to limit collection and use of Collected Data

The collection, use and sharing of Collected Data is essential to providing the Services.You may not disable the transmission of Location Data, Service Usage Data or Vehicle Data within the use of the Services.To disable Location Data, Service Usage Data or Vehicle Data, you must cancel your SiriusXM Guardian subscription by calling 844-796-4827 or any other method mandated by law.

If you do not want Transmitted Vehicle Data to be collected or used, you must contact us directly at 844-796-4827 and ask to cancel your Services for privacy reasons. This request will result in the deactivation of your wireless transmission network service and will cease your access to SiriusXM Guardian safety and convenience services and certain other Uconnect or Alfa Connect services. It will also prevent updates to your In-vehicle Manual and the implementation of any Wi-Fi services through the Vehicle, if available. Please note that cancelling your SiriusXM Guardian subscription without the request to deactivate for privacy reasons will not cancel the transmission of Transmitted Vehicle Data to FCA or Alfa Romeo.

pinco

Reaction score
Interesting.
Not sure why that would affect the 4G Att SIM card though. I still have no wifi, and cannot update uconnect. I called Att and they said they’re working on an issue with stellantis? I’m beyond pissed. No wifi since February, it’s now August, no uconnect updates, maps etc

JimKIII

Reaction score
Interesting.
Not sure why that would affect the 4G Att SIM card though. I still have no wifi, and cannot update uconnect. I called Att and they said they’re working on an issue with stellantis? I’m beyond pissed. No wifi since February, it’s now August, no uconnect updates, maps etc
What about updating via a USB thumb drive? That's how the dealer does it. They just updated my truck this morning for the Z47 TSB using the USB method.

pinco

Reaction score
Lol, I hadn’t even thought of that. I don’t use the onboard navigation because I love Google maps via CarPlay, but I certainly would like any other updates. I’ll give that a try, thank you!

What’s the Z47 tsb?
I only know of wiper, lug bolt, fuel pump recalls. I want the pump done asap, but no parts yet apparently.

Last edited:

JimKIII

Reaction score
Lol, I hadn’t even thought of that. I don’t use the onboard navigation because I love Google maps via CarPlay, but I certainly would like any other updates. I’ll give that a try, thank you!

What’s the Z47 tsb?
I only know of wiper, lug bolt, fuel pump recalls. I want the pump done asap, but no parts yet apparently.

pinco

Reaction score
1. Here's info on the Z47 TSB -- https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCRIT-22V407-5833.pdf

2. Enter your VIN # here to see if/what TSB's affect your truck -- https://www.mopar.com/ramtrucks/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html
Thank you for the link. I have experienced a blank backup screen one time in my 2020, but never again. I tried searching for uconnect updates via vin through the uconnect site. There are none for my 2020! I received one update about a month after I bought it in June 2020. No updates since I suppose. The navigation “could” be great but the roads change every 2 weeks in the areas I travel. Google maps is the only one that keeps up by the day literally, right down to new construction bypasses.

Riccochet

Reaction score
As far as I know the built in WiFi in 19-21 vehicles still relies on 3G data connection which has been turned off by every cellular provider. AT&T and Verizon killed theirs in February, followed by T-Mobile and others a few months later.

3G is dead. Your best bet is buying a mobile hotspot and using that.

cardplayer

Reaction score
As far as I know the built in WiFi in 19-21 vehicles still relies on 3G data connection which has been turned off by every cellular provider. AT&T and Verizon killed theirs in February, followed by T-Mobile and others a few months later.

3G is dead. Your best bet is buying a mobile hotspot and using that.
I don't think 3G is the issue. Stellantis started making the Uconnect a 4G connection in 2016 or 2017.
Here is the link to the announcement: https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=17823&mid=
Something else is going on and I think it has to do with a security issue. There have been reports of hacking into these units. ATT has told me they have stopped signing up anyone with these units at the request of Stellantis and Uconnect. They have also been disabling current subscribers and wont renew any accounts as they come up for renewal.

pinco

Reaction score
Could it have something to do with this information from SiriusXM about cancelling the subscription? See in bold.

Your choices to limit collection and use of Collected Data

The collection, use and sharing of Collected Data is essential to providing the Services.You may not disable the transmission of Location Data, Service Usage Data or Vehicle Data within the use of the Services.To disable Location Data, Service Usage Data or Vehicle Data, you must cancel your SiriusXM Guardian subscription by calling 844-796-4827 or any other method mandated by law.

If you do not want Transmitted Vehicle Data to be collected or used, you must contact us directly at 844-796-4827 and ask to cancel your Services for privacy reasons. This request will result in the deactivation of your wireless transmission network service and will cease your access to SiriusXM Guardian safety and convenience services and certain other Uconnect or Alfa Connect services. It will also prevent updates to your In-vehicle Manual and the implementation of any Wi-Fi services through the Vehicle, if available. Please note that cancelling your SiriusXM Guardian subscription without the request to deactivate for privacy reasons will not cancel the transmission of Transmitted Vehicle Data to FCA or Alfa Romeo.
Nah. It stopped working when I had Sirius. I did cancel Sirius though, and between that and zero Wi-Fi, ability to update Uconnect you’d think “how the hell are they sending me tire pressure readings and “oil change required soon 12%” etc? Do they have more than one way of communicating with the truck besides a LoJack type system?

pinco

Reaction score
I don't think 3G is the issue. Stellantis started making the Uconnect a 4G connection in 2016 or 2017.
Here is the link to the announcement: https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=17823&mid=
Something else is going on and I think it has to do with a security issue. There have been reports of hacking into these units. ATT has told me they have stopped signing up anyone with these units at the request of Stellantis and Uconnect. They have also been disabling current subscribers and wont renew any accounts as they come up for renewal.
Something in secret is definitely going on. I’ve spent a lot of time on the phone, and Stellantis was mentioned a few times. They need a solution, but just don’t care. I mean it’ll be ages to get fuel pumps made, and why? Almighty dollar! I’m not paying for fuel Rail damage, and I’m spending a lot on LX4 …. Different topic, pissed, but love my ram anyway.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Nah. It stopped working when I had Sirius. I did cancel Sirius though, and between that and zero Wi-Fi, ability to update Uconnect you’d think “how the hell are they sending me tire pressure readings and “oil change required soon 12%” etc? Do they have more than one way of communicating with the truck besides a LoJack type system?
I, too, am puzzled why I'm getting monthly truck status emails when I never signed up for RAM Connect or SiriusXM. It's obvious that telemetry data is continually being sent to Stellantis, which fries my can. I don't want any of that chit going anywhere! I guess I'll have to figure out where the stupid modem is and unplug/disable it. But I'm sure I'll have to wait until the warranty is over so they can't claim I voided it. I tried to purchase my truck with as little tech as possible, but even so I'm tethered to the beast one way or the other. No one can tell me that Stellantis wont ever send this telemetry data to the police, insurance companies, or other entities that could cause me grief down the road. Several years ago I quit using the map app on my old Android when I noticed, after an update, that it showed my vehical speed. And it would turn RED if I went 1 mph over! If that ain't Big Brother, I don't know what is!

jsalbre

Reaction score
I, too, am puzzled why I'm getting monthly truck status emails when I never signed up for RAM Connect or SiriusXM. It's obvious that telemetry data is continually being sent to Stellantis, which fries my can. I don't want any of that chit going anywhere! I guess I'll have to figure out where the stupid modem is and unplug/disable it. But I'm sure I'll have to wait until the warranty is over so they can't claim I voided it. I tried to purchase my truck with as little tech as possible, but even so I'm tethered to the beast one way or the other. No one can tell me that Stellantis wont ever send this telemetry data to the police, insurance companies, or other entities that could cause me grief down the road. Several years ago I quit using the map app on my old Android when I noticed, after an update, that it showed my vehical speed. And it would turn RED if I went 1 mph over! If that ain't Big Brother, I don't know what is!
You think the GPS powered navigation app on your phone knowing the speed limit (which is embedded in the map data) and showing you when you exceed it, so that you can avoid getting pulled over, is “Big Brother”?

JimKIII

Reaction score
You think the GPS powered navigation app on your phone knowing the speed limit (which is embedded in the map data) and showing you when you exceed it, so that you can avoid getting pulled over, is “Big Brother”?
In my great state of Washington the DOT offered a free transponder to 1,000 drivers (about 10 years ago) to test a new system that would tax drivers on their mileage. "This will only track your mileage and nothing else" was the promise. Lo and behold, a few months into the proof-of-concept news reports started coming out where a few of the 1,000 volunteers received tickets in the mail such as rolling through a yellow light, exceeding the speed limit, etc. There was a huge outcry and 3rd-party analysts figured that that dozens of metrics other than mileage were being collected and sent to WDOT. So I call that chit Big Brother. You call it what you want.

jsalbre

Reaction score
In my great state of Washington the DOT offered a free transponder to 1,000 drivers (about 10 years ago) to test a new system that would tax drivers on their mileage. "This will only track your mileage and nothing else" was the promise. Lo and behold, a few months into the proof-of-concept news reports started coming out where a few of the 1,000 volunteers received tickets in the mail such as rolling through a yellow light, exceeding the speed limit, etc. There was a huge outcry and 3rd-party analysts figured that that dozens of metrics other than mileage were being collected and sent to WDOT. So I call that chit Big Brother. You call it what you want.
Can you provide some information? I can find a few articles talking about Washington state considering a tax-by-mile system, and a slideshow from a test, but in that test only 56% of the 2000 participants had plug in modules at all, and only 37% of those had GPS. I couldn’t find a single mention talking about tickets that some people received or extraneous data collection.

Even if that did happen, I don’t understand what that has to do with a navigation app on your phone. Your speedometer tells you the speed you’re going too, is that big brother?

JimKIII

Reaction score
Can you provide some information? I can find a few articles talking about Washington state considering a tax-by-mile system, and a slideshow from a test, but in that test only 56% of the 2000 participants had plug in modules at all, and only 37% of those had GPS. I couldn’t find a single mention talking about tickets that some people received or extraneous data collection.

Even if that did happen, I don’t understand what that has to do with a navigation app on your phone. Your speedometer tells you the speed you’re going too, is that big brother?
Two mistakes I made in my comments:
1. This pilot wasn't 10 years ago it was in 2018.
2. I was in error when I said some participants received tickets (brain fart).

However, the fact that the pilot was collecting far more data points than just mileage (which is my main gripe) was reported by one of the participants.

She said that over the two weeks, not only was her mileage tracked, but her driving itself was scored. The score was based on braking, accelerating, speeding and going around corners. Frost was able to see exactly where and when she had gone over the speed limit, and for how long. The results shocked her. “I had 176 potential speeding violations … and that amounts to $20,240, in theory,” she said.

The full article: https://mynorthwest.com/946367/washington-road-usage-pilot-expert/

End of my comments on this, especially since you're now being snide, "Your speedometer tells you the speed you’re going too, is that big brother?"

Users who are viewing this thread