Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect Screen goes full blast bright when reverse camera is displayed backing up at night! No dimming option! Blinding!!! 2021

Fcr

Reaction score
This is just unsafe… you can control the screen brightness right up until you select reverse and then the back up camera is displayed at full blast brightness as one is trying to back up. The human eye transitioning from looking in the mirrors at night (relatively dark) and then back to the reverse camera which is so bright it is lighting up the entire cab…. Why?

Is there a software update to correct this? It’s blindingly unsafe?

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
This is just unsafe… you can control the screen brightness right up until you select reverse and then the back up camera is displayed at full blast brightness as one is trying to back up. The human eye transitioning from looking in the mirrors at night (relatively dark) and then back to the reverse camera which is so bright it is lighting up the entire cab…. Why?

Hi Fcr,

We can understand how concerning this must be for you. Feel free to message us more details about your truck and we can search further into your vehicle information for you.

Steph
Ram Cares

Fcr

Reaction score
Hi Fcr,

We can understand how concerning this must be for you. Feel free to message us more details about your truck and we can search further into your vehicle information for you.

Steph
Ram Cares
No response yet? Are you home, What do you need?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
No response yet? Are you home, What do you need?
It will take them a couple of business days to get back to you...
And best of luck.. they've done nothing about it since the 2019s rolled out...

Reactions: Fcr

Fcr

Reaction score
It will take them a couple of business days to get back to you...
And best of luck.. they've done nothing about it since the 2019s rolled out...
I expect nothing from this company when it comes to tech….they should be embarrassed by their Uconnect and hardware/software integration…. But maybe there will be a pleasant surprise

2019_Ram

Reaction score

@RamCares This was an issue with Uconnect 4 and is is still an issue with Uconnect 5. I'm in agreement this was a horrible programming decision and the displays shouldn't blind you when shifting to reverse.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fcr,

Steph
Ram Cares

With all due respect Steph, we've been complaining about this since the 2019 models came out. It has nothing to do with any individual vehicle. It's a systemic programming fail and this safety issue needs to be escalated.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
@RamCares This was an issue with Uconnect 4 and is is still an issue with Uconnect 5. I'm in agreement this was a horrible programming decision and the displays shouldn't blind you when shifting to reverse.
With all due respect Steph, we've been complaining about this since the 2019 models came out. It has nothing to do with any individual vehicle. It's a systemic programming fail and this safety issue needs to be escalated.
We appreciate the honest feedback to help us improve, 2019_Ram and Brutal_HO!

We went through the proper channels to notify our internal teams about the comments on the thread for further review! Should any new updates or fixes become available soon, we'll be happy to share further details on it.

Steph
Ram Cares

jdubc72

Reaction score
WOW I have been upset about this for 3 YEARS! Though RAM probably wont do anything about this now (I have a 2019 3500 limited), I am glad folks are talking about it. I have resorted to squinting my eyes on the side mirrors before putting the truck in revers to help prevent too much light from the screen reaching them. I can't believe this hasn't been addressed.

Fcr

Reaction score
Still nothing. I have a feeling Ram “Stellantis” technology is about as advanced as Southwest Airlines
WOW I have been upset about this for 3 YEARS! Though RAM probably wont do anything about this now (I have a 2019 3500 limited), I am glad folks are talking about it. I have resorted to squinting my eyes on the side mirrors before putting the truck in revers to help prevent too much light from the screen reaching them. I can't believe this hasn't been addressed.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
My 2022 does it. Running the current software it’s still abysmal at night. The trailer spotter lamps in the side mirrors are also bad. A small protrusion included to the plastic housing would’ve been sufficient to reduce the light pointing at the driver and keep it focused rearward where it belongs. They need to offer a customer satisfaction campaign and address these as they are most definitely safety issues.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I've only been a "Ram Guy" for about 15 months now but it's definitely starting to seem like Ram Cares is an oxymoron. No offense meant to the folks that converse with us here on the forum as I'm sure they're usually not the problem and many times would really like to help us.

Last edited:

Fcr

Reaction score
big business is more worried about costs than safety

DP425

Reaction score
My 2022 does it. Running the current software it’s still abysmal at night. The trailer spotter lamps in the side mirrors are also bad. A small protrusion included to the plastic housing would’ve been sufficient to reduce the light pointing at the driver and keep it focused rearward where it belongs. They need to offer a customer satisfaction campaign and address these as they are most definitely safety issues.
I was wondering if my trailer spot lights just were a bit out of wack. Nope, apparently no one ever bothered to sit in the driver’s seat during development.

Tri J

Reaction score
I turn the headlights off but leave the park lights on. Seems to help.

Users who are viewing this thread