Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect Experience Feedback

Select all statements below that best describe your experience with the Uconnect system:

• My dealer walked me through the functions and features

• My dealer did not walk me through the functions and features

• I use resources such as DriveUconnect.com, social sites, & the owner’s manual to better understand

• I am confident in using Uconnect

• The Uconnect system is still unfamiliar to me

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Believe me, I understand the lead time and the complications. However, I also know that as early as 2012 there was plenty of technology available and it would not have been a stretch. IIRC, the 12" was a 2019 release. I just think it was absolutely possible, and a huge swing and a miss on the part of FCA. I'm not sure I've ever before seen where the top of the line model lacks connected features on lower tier models. Remember - while I retired from the Army, for the past 22 years I've been in tech and have run product development as well as infrastructure (and everything) for global entities. I simply cannot give FCA a pass for this one. Making it simple - there should NEVER be something that exists on a lower tier model that "doesn't make the cut" on an upper tier model. Never. That's product management 101. And on top of that in this case, the corresponding service plans for the 12" Uconnect should be priced at a lower price point given the lower capability (of the more expensive unit, lol).

I don't necessarily disagree with most of your points. However as a point of reference, the 12" screen existed at UC4 announcement and was available long before it was offered in the RAM 2019.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
I don't necessarily disagree with most of your points. However as a point of reference, the 12" screen existed at UC4 announcement and was available long before it was offered in the RAM 2019.
I know, an personally I don't care that much. I just think FCA really missed the boat. They're absolutely gonna lose out on a bunch of potential Uconnect subscriptions because of the lack of relative value. I do OK from a financial perspective, but I'm pretty value focused. If Sirius/XM costs more than $6/month I'll reject it. I call every 6 months to cancel if they don't keep service to that level. If Uconnect offered more value at a more reasonable price, I'd consider it. I'm absolutely a "techie". However, at the current price point and value proposition, it's not even a question. For them to offer so little value for the 12" display for service, it's a massive miss. And it comes at the worst time. Post Pandemic with more people working from home and less people finding value in being able to remote start from a distance? And when that, lock/unlock and "find" being the only value? That seems to be a disaster from a product perspective. Hell, Hyundai offered a hell of a lot more for free - years ago.

revjvegas

Reaction score
Uconnect monthly fees are too expensive.

$10/mo is reasonable. $25/mo is not.

Aftermarket remote systems have fobiks that operate up to 2.5 miles and apps that connect through the mobile network and are only $5/month after the hardware purchase.
100% agree with this.
Once the trial runs out, I know at those prices I won't be signing up.

Jayfeinberg

Reaction score
1. My 2020 Ford F-150 XLT had remote start and unlock FREE as part of the FordPass application. The fact that RAM allows themselves to be held hostage by the Sirius suite of applications and did not develop in-house solutions is just plain stupid and is a customer satisfaction cluster.
2. SiriusXM has odd pricing strategies. After the trial on the Ford ran out, they kept trying to sign me up for $5 a month via spammed emails and phone calls. Then they sent me a solicitation for $99 for THREE YEARS for a 10 year old vehicle I had purchase for one of my kids. When I answered one of their spammed calls and asked for the same deal for the F-150, they told me that the price was vehicle specific. I chose to pass on their offer of $5 a month and continued to stream for free via Android Auto.

Last edited:

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
1. My 2020 Ford F-150 XLT had remote start and unlock FREE as part of the FordPass application. The fact that RAM allows themselves to be held hostage by the Sirius suite of applications and did not develop in-house solutions is just plain stupid and is a customer satisfaction cluster.
2. SiriusXM has odd pricing strategies. After the trial on the Ford ran out, they kept trying to sign me up for $5 a month via spammed emails and phone calls. Then they sent me a solicitation for $99 for THREE YEARS for a 10 year old vehicle I had purchase for one of my kids. When I answered one of their spammed calls and asked for the same deal for the F-150, they told me that the price was vehicle specific. I chose to pass on their offer of $5 a month and continued to stream for free via Android Auto.
If Sirius would just be transparent and allow a customer to fully manage their subscriptions online, it would go a long way with reputation. They wouldn't have to hire all of these telemarketers and implement annoying/aggressive sales tactics. In the end, they'd end up with a lot more happy customers if they lowered prices and adopted friendly account management functions.

twodoghill

Reaction score
I've have had my 2021 Power Wagon 75A for about a month and 3K miles. I am computer and phone literate but do not really understand what Uconnect is other than the infotainment system in the truck. What I mean is I don't know what part of the system will continue to operate after the initial 1 year trial. I started using the Uconnect Navi system but soon found that iPhone CarPlay gave a better Navi experience with more up to date maps. I have been inundated with emails from SirusXM which seems hooked up with Uconnect and I had to block them. Overall it has been a rather confusing obnoxious experience that looks like a money grab. Zero stars.

So I hope Car Play keeps working after all this Sirus/Uconnect pay service ends.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I've have had my 2021 Power Wagon 75A for about a month and 3K miles. I am computer and phone literate but do not really understand what Uconnect is other than the infotainment system in the truck. What I mean is I don't know what part of the system will continue to operate after the initial 1 year trial. I started using the Uconnect Navi system but soon found that iPhone CarPlay gave a better Navi experience with more up to date maps. I have been inundated with emails from SirusXM which seems hooked up with Uconnect and I had to block them. Overall it has been a rather confusing obnoxious experience that looks like a money grab. Zero stars.

So I hope Car Play keeps working after all this Sirus/Uconnect pay service ends.

SiriusXM radio and Guardian are the only things that are subscription based.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh that's good to hear. I don't need either of those. So the navigation will still work?

Yes. Nav still works, for what it is.

I have a NAViKS to watch the trailer camera and don't even use the NAV in motion capability as I always use G-Maps or Waze.

twodoghill

Reaction score

I have a NAViKS to watch the trailer camera and don't even use the NAV in motion capability as I always use G-Maps or Waze.
I'm using CarPlay but thought maybe the Uconnect Nav would work where I don't have cell phone service. I need to change CarPlay to use G-maps and maybe that will work without cell service.

twodoghill

Reaction score

I should say, I've been living in South Korea for the last 7 years and just got back to the states and haven't figured out all the navi apps here.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
I'm using CarPlay but thought maybe the Uconnect Nav would work where I don't have cell phone service. I need to change CarPlay to use G-maps and maybe that will work without cell service.
That's my main reason for wanting Nav, when I'm out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service. The maps are downloaded, so you don't need a data connection just GPS.

Reaction score
Optimize the display to work with AA/carplay. Uconnect will never be worth it, due to everyone carrying a supercomputer in their pockets...

g00fy

Reaction score
I wish there was a master volume control menu page with all the different volume levels that can be adjusted. I hate that if I accidentally turn up or turn off speed limit alerts or navigation alerts I have to wait for the next alert to try and fix its volume level, and it's especially tricky to do if I turned its volume to zero.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I use Apple Carplay 99.9% of the time and have the 12" screen. They really missed an opportunity to really utilize that 12" screen to its fullest.

Lary0071

Reaction score
Price is a show stopper to me. The Sirius XM "stuff" like a simplified forcast and gas prices.... When I need fuel, I get fuel. I don't really care who is 3 cents less. It really adds no value to me. All I want it the phone based remote start. $15 to maintain that.... No. I'll suffer. To many things scrape $10 or $15 a month out of my account already, and this is not one I see enough return on investment to allow. Now I could see me paying 3 months of service to cover Dec/Jan/Feb while it is 5°F to 25°F a lot of the days, but I would cancel again right away. They should re-think the price schedule, at say $7.99 a month and they get a massively higher number of on-going subscribers.

Also, with my GM products you can see oil life, fuel remaining and any malfunction indicator light issues, if you get a MIL light you can schedule a service appointment right there. And I have not bought a GM product since 2012.... I bet they have and do more now days with the OnStar.

Users who are viewing this thread