Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 Won't Keep Time

g00fy

Reaction score
I upgraded the Uconnect 5 in my tradesman to a Uconnect 12, so then I took my homeless Uconnect 5 and swapped it into my 5500 delivery truck which had a Uconnect 3 in it.

For whatever reason the Uconnect 5 refuses to keep the time while it's in the 5500, kept time fine in my 2500. Also I changed the clock to manual, but it automatically reverts to Syncing the Clock whenever i shut the truck off and i have no idea why or how to fix it. It's driving me nuts every time i get in the truck i have to reset the clock. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I thought maybe it needed the SXM antenna to sync the time, so i added one, didn't help. I'm thinking there's gotta be an alfaOBD setting somewhere i have to enable because i can't imagine the wiring is different between the 3 & 5 or the 2500 & 5500.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I upgraded the Uconnect 5 in my tradesman to a Uconnect 12, so then I took my homeless Uconnect 5 and swapped it into my 5500 delivery truck which had a Uconnect 3 in it.

For whatever reason the Uconnect 5 refuses to keep the time while it's in the 5500, kept time fine in my 2500. Also I changed the clock to manual, but it automatically reverts to Syncing the Clock whenever i shut the truck off and i have no idea why or how to fix it. It's driving me nuts every time i get in the truck i have to reset the clock. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I thought maybe it needed the SXM antenna to sync the time, so i added one, didn't help. I'm thinking there's gotta be an alfaOBD setting somewhere i have to enable because i can't imagine the wiring is different between the 3 & 5 or the 2500 & 5500.
There should have been a blue fakra connector cable plugged into your original Uconnect 3 radio. The Uconnect 5 doesn’t have that connector on the back of it, but that cable needs to be adapted to plug into the mustard connector on the back of the Uconnect 5. You can use a short fakra z male to female cable to do this.

g00fy

Reaction score
There should have been a blue fakra connector cable plugged into your original Uconnect 3 radio. The Uconnect 5 doesn’t have that connector on the back of it, but that cable needs to be adapted to plug into the mustard connector on the back of the Uconnect 5. You can use a short fakra z male to female cable to do this.

I don't recall a blue fakra back there when i had it apart a couple weeks ago, i'll have to check again. Also something i found interesting, the Uconnect 3 would not give me any sound when i tried to put it in my 2500 temporarily to have the AC TSB done.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I don't recall a blue fakra back there when i had it apart a couple weeks ago, i'll have to check again. Also something i found interesting, the Uconnect 3 would not give me any sound when i tried to put it in my 2500 temporarily to have the AC TSB done.
The top one is a Uconnect 3, bottom is Uconnect 5. That blue connector is gps, and needs to be adapted into the mustard connector on the Uconnect 5, which is SXM and gps.
7RTRJT7.jpg

The no sound when when installed into your 2500 could have been the ECUConfig 3 cabin equalization curve setting being incorrect. On a Uconnect 3 it needs “6 speaker base”, and on a Uconnect 5 it needs “6 speaker base with ANC”, I believe.

g00fy

Reaction score
I'll have to tear it apart and double check.

g00fy

Reaction score
Hey Jimmy I tore apart the dash on my 5500 again, there's no extra blue wire in there to be connected. However I did add a sirius xm antenna with a universal fakra to plug into the mustard colored connector but it still won't keep time.

Could the incorrect amp setting in the bcm be causing a software issue, cause it seems like this thing factory resets itself anytime it's of for more than a couple hours.

Users who are viewing this thread