Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tune worth it?

JustARam22

Reaction score
For any of you who have done tunes with the def intact is is worth it. Just looking for a better pedal response and better shift points. I do a lot of low speed driving and it always jumps between 1st and 2nd.
Any input is appreciated

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I had an "Emissions Intact" tune on my 2020 3500 HO, it was great, what I loved about that tune is that it no longer used DEF so none of those issues associated with the DEF system would ever be an issue, it also kept the EGR valve closed so the exhaust gasses weren't circulating through the engine..
The truck still regened just like normal but it didn't use DEF, I wish there was a solution to do the same on my 2022.

John Jensen

Reaction score
The OP doesn't say what year truck or engine he owns. Here's my answer:

I have emissions intact tuning on my 2020 HO with all the emissions components working. As far as I know, the 2020s have no DEF issues. The SCR system performs well and serves a purpose, I see no reason to turn it off.

With the tunes, I have excellent pedal response. There is no tuning for the Aisin so it performs in stock mode. My tuning has 5 SOTF tunes that perform perfectly, it was money well spent.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

I have emissions intact tuning on my 2020 HO with all the emissions components working. As far as I know, the 2020s have no DEF issues. The SCR system performs well and serves a purpose, I see no reason to turn it off.

With the tunes, I have excellent pedal response. There is no tuning for the Aisin so it performs in stock mode. My tuning has 5 SOTF tunes that perform perfectly, it was money well spent.
His name has the year i assume lol

UglyViking

Reaction score
Did calibrated power 5 position switch on my truck. Currently running stock valve body, so it's limited due to the stock trans. That said, it's night and day difference, and I can say nothing but good things. I personally choose to do an "emissions on and active" build. Partly because I don't want to worry about states clamping down on deleted trucks, partly due to wanting to see what I can push the emissions on truck to do while maintaining reliability.

I don't see a single downside to a tune, outside upfront cost. I suppose one could argue reliability, which is possible, but I'm personally willing to pay to play for such a drastic difference in the day to day drivability of the Cummins.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Did calibrated power 5 position switch on my truck. Currently running stock valve body, so it's limited due to the stock trans. That said, it's night and day difference, and I can say nothing but good things. I personally choose to do an "emissions on and active" build. Partly because I don't want to worry about states clamping down on deleted trucks, partly due to wanting to see what I can push the emissions on truck to do while maintaining reliability.

I don't see a single downside to a tune, outside upfront cost. I suppose one could argue reliability, which is possible, but I'm personally willing to pay to play for such a drastic difference in the day to day drivability of the CuLmmins.
I agree, no downsides, and for me, the cost is worth the benefits.
Locally I also run on the optimized stock tune, it's excellent. I use the Heavy Tow when towing my vacation trailer and pick among the other tunes to fit the situation when on a trip. SOTF makes it so easy to select among the five tunes, to experiment, play or make a Ford wonder what just happened. :D

JustARam22

Reaction score

I don't see a single downside to a tune, outside upfront cost. I suppose one could argue reliability, which is possible, but I'm personally willing to pay to play for such a drastic difference in the day to day drivability of the Cummins.
I'm not looking for a ton more power, just want better shift points and a better throttle response

JustARam22

Reaction score

I have a 2021 2500 6.7

JustARam22

Reaction score
Fair enough thats good then as you have a large number of tuners you can use as opposed to the 22s

I would go with calibrated power if you are keeping the emissions
Would you have a link, new to diesel tunning and multiple results come up when searching "calibrated power"

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Would you have a link, new to diesel tunning and multiple results come up when searching "calibrated power"
They still use their old website name as thats the parent company

UglyViking

Reaction score
I think a lot of folks that have emissions on tuning go Calibrated Power. They have been doing emissions on tuning the longest, at least from the big names, and I rarely if ever hear a bad thing. PPEI is also worth a look. They used to do delete tunes, but have switched and by all measures appear to be really focused into making a go of it with the emissions systems on.

I'd personally say Calibrated Power is prob more on the reliability side and PPEI is more the power side, but that's gut instinct.

Adam06

Reaction score

I own a 2009 f250 with 6.4 power stroke . Second year they mandated dpf filters. I at the time got a mininmax tuner to eliminate dpf and the egr valve and coolers. Did it at 30,000 miles lost my 100’000 mile warranty. Gained from 375 hp to 510 on tow mode 5” pipe from turbo back. Truck is a beast have 538,000 miles on it. You see these 6.4 lasting with emissions a 150,000 miles. A good tune makes a world of difference. This is my second Cummins 2022 ho. First is a 94 dulley Cummins with 879,000 miles ( gone through 3 turbos and 4 clutch’s) one of two best trucks owned. I hope I can make changes to my new ram in the near future for the good!!

John Jensen

Reaction score
I have a 2021 2500 6.7
Thanks. Your transmission is tuneable.
If you go with Calibrated Power get their SOTF. I've had Calibrated tunes before they offered SOTF and got the SOTF when it came out. It performs as advertised. Calibrated also has great customer service and their tune updates automatically update. Their tunes also turn on the exhaust brake when you start the truck, an excellent feature. And in your case, they tune your tranny.

Last edited:

JustARam22

Reaction score
Thanks. Your transmission is tuneable.
If you go with Calibrated Power get their SOTF. I've had Calibrated tunes before they offered SOTF and got the SOTF when it came out. It performs as advertised. Calibrated also has great customer service and their tune updates automatically update. Their tunes also turn on the exhaust brake when you start the truck, an excellent feature. And in your case, they tune your tranny.
Thanks for the input

Users who are viewing this thread