Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB Discussion Thread

Squatch

Reaction score
Got a newb question. If I don’t have complaints, and truck is acting normal, would it still make sense to periodically have the trucks modules updated?

thestuarts

Reaction score
Got a newb question. If I don’t have complaints, and truck is acting normal, would it still make sense to periodically have the trucks modules updated?

Even if your truck is working to your satisfaction, I recommend you periodically read the TSBs to see if you want the fix. Ram will only issue a recall for safety issues. You have to ask your dealer to address a TSB, and many of the TSBs can improve the truck even if you aren't aware of the problem.

For example, here are some recent TSBs that affected my truck:
1. TSB 23-010-20: Sunroof leak
2. TSB 18-059-20: Engine Warmup Protection Improvement to help promote better oil delivery to engine bearings during cold starts.
3. TSB 18-052-19: Excessive DEF usage
4. TSB 08-012-20: Driver Assistance Module fix for erroneous automatic braking.

I never would have noticed the oil delivery problem (#2), but my engine could be prematurely wearing out.

You can track the TSBs for your truck at these two web sites:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Even if your truck is working to your satisfaction, I recommend you periodically read the TSBs to see if you want the fix. Ram will only issue a recall for safety issues. You have to ask your dealer to address a TSB, and many of the TSBs can improve the truck even if you aren't aware of the problem.

For example, here are some recent TSBs that affected my truck:
1. TSB 23-010-20: Sunroof leak
2. TSB 18-059-20: Engine Warmup Protection Improvement to help promote better oil delivery to engine bearings during cold starts.
3. TSB 18-052-19: Excessive DEF usage
4. TSB 08-012-20: Driver Assistance Module fix for erroneous automatic braking.

I never would have noticed the oil delivery problem (#2), but my engine could be prematurely wearing out.

You can track the TSBs for your truck at these two web sites:

I thought TSB 18-059-20 was only for the S) C&C trucks?

thestuarts

Reaction score
I thought TSB 18-059-20 was only for the S) C&C trucks?

TSB 18-059-20 affects these models:

2019 (DJ) RAM 2500 Pickup
2019 (D2) RAM 3500 Pickup

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: North America.
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine (Sales Code ETL) or 6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel Engine (Sales Code ETM).

Here are the service notes:

1615694161701.png

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

thestuarts

Reaction score
I'm confused.

The warmup protection was a recall (W57) issued for C&C trucks,

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V511000

18-059-20 is also a PCM update but I don't believe these are the same as the trucks use different code.

I suspect they only issued a recall for the C&C trucks because they idle a lot, so the oiling issue will cause a lot more failures. I believe they should have recalled all the trucks, but someone made the decision to limit the recall to the trucks most likely to fail.

My truck idles differently after the update. For example, it sometimes speeds up to about 1,100 RPM when I'm parked, even when the engine is warm. It didn't do that before the update for TSB 18-059-20. I read that increasing the RPM when idling for extended periods is actually good for the engine because it keeps the oil pressure high enough to ensure proper lubrication.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I read that increasing the RPM when idling for extended periods is actually good for the engine because it keeps the oil pressure high enough to ensure proper lubrication.

Here is the first link I found that says to idle between 900 to 1,200 RPM to ensure proper oiling.

I suspect 18-059-20 fixes the oiling issue by increasing the RPM when idling for extended periods of time. I mean, what else could they possibly do in a PCM update to improve oil flow when idling other than increase the engine RPM?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect they only issued a recall for the C&C trucks because they idle a lot, so the oiling issue will cause a lot more failures. I believe they should have recalled all the trucks, but someone made the decision to limit the recall to the trucks most likely to fail.

My truck idles differently after the update. For example, it sometimes speeds up to about 1,100 RPM when I'm parked, even when the engine is warm. It didn't do that before the update for TSB 18-059-20. I read that increasing the RPM when idling for extended periods is actually good for the engine because it keeps the oil pressure high enough to ensure proper lubrication.

Good to know.

I'll add that TSB of things to check when mine goes in for it's first real service.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Good to know.

I'll add that TSB of things to check when mine goes in for it's first real service.
I just had it done today with a pcm update, a few things i noticed the throttle is way more sensitive and the 68rfe shifts much stronger not aggressive but firm seems to pull harder aswell

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
NUMBER: 18-009-21
GROUP: 18 - Vehicle Performance
DATE: February 2, 2021

Components: POWER TRAIN
NHTSA ID Number: 10188798
Summary
Flash: Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Updates

2019 - 2020 (DJ) RAM 2500 Pickup

This bulletin involves reprogramming the Engine Control Module/Powertrain Control Module (ECM/PCM) with the latest available software.

Customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the technician may find the following Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been set: P0299-00 - Turbocharger Underboost.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10188798-9999.pdf

Turbocharger Underboost Additional Diagnostics:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10188769-9999.pdf
Thats the one i had done today it was a great update many small performance complaint issues fixed never had a MIL though

Users who are viewing this thread