Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck Payload Info

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
So I've been watching 2500 "walk through" videos and finally ran across one where they had a VIN and the payload sticker.

I'll keep looking to see if I can find any others out there.

2019 RAM 2500 LONGHORN CREW CAB 4X4
Payload per Ram Chart is 3,380
Payload per door sticker 2,735
https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=3C6UR5GJ4KG531078

This is the video if anyone is interested...

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Well that isnt bad at all. I was expecting it to be just under 2500...that said they did gain 200lbs of payload with the 200lbs lost in the redesign of the frame and components

So that would be right.

That should be a great match to that airstream.

I agree, not at bad as we'd thought it would be, I'd even just get the regular Crew Cab and ditch the Ramboxes and get back some weight.
If the HD Tow Chart is correct, the Megacab drops payload by 410lbs alone, and then add another loss of 150-ish for the RAMboxes.

This makes me a bit more comfortable with placing an order without actually seeing the truck.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. I was pleasantly surprised with your findings.

My truck is a long bed which drops payload, but that is only 280 less than my Tradesman, which would be 480 less than 2019 to 2019 or 2015 to 2015.

Towing that airstream will be like coasting down a hill on a pedal bike.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
DevilDodge and Gondul, have either of you seen weights of the various options on a Limited 2500HD? I’ve ordered a TT with a GVWR of 11,000 and a hitch weight around 1,600 that I’m starting to freak out a little bit that the 2500 Limited will leave me with no payload. Also, has anyone seen specs on the tires?

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
As another data point for you, I stated in the other thread that my lightly optioned Tradesman has 3400# of payload based on the actual wt of the truck. My door sticker states 3307# for my truck....so I wonder if any of the numbers from Ram can be trusted or are they all "ballpark" figures?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
DevilDodge and Gondul, have either of you seen weights of the various options on a Limited 2500HD? I’ve ordered a TT with a GVWR of 11,000 and a hitch weight around 1,600 that I’m starting to freak out a little bit that the 2500 Limited will leave me with no payload. Also, has anyone seen specs on the tires?

Zeronet over on the 5thGenRam Forum posted the following numbers... are they exact? Who knows, but the general consensus is that it seems close and given that several items were ported over directly from the 1500, it is at least a good starting point.

Did you see the two LIMITED trucks I posted above? I know they are MEGACABs but according to the payload chart, if you have a regular Crewcab, you can add back about 400#.

Here's the weight of the most common options (as near as I can tell till we get more data):

Limited trim - 166lbs
Bed utility group - 25
Level 1 - 86
Advanced safety group - 50
PANO Sunroof - 70
Anti spin - 16
eLocker - 16
3.92 Axle ratio - 0
eTorque - 80
Brake controller - 0 (not full tow package)
Body colored bumpers - 0
22" wheels - 0 (vs 20" standard wheels)
33 gallon fuel tank - 73
Offroad Group - 119 (minus eLocker)
Ramboxes - 163

4x4 - 240 (but you get 200 more GVWR so 40 net reduction in payload)

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
Did you see the two LIMITED trucks I posted above? I know they are MEGACABs but according to the payload chart, if you have a regular Crewcab, you can add back about 400#.

Yes, I saw them. Thank you.

It looks like a Crew Cab provides 410lbs more payload than a Mega with the 6.4L V8 and 390lbs more with the 6.7 I6.

As another data point for you, I stated in the other thread that my lightly optioned Tradesman has 3400# of payload based on the actual wt of the truck. My door sticker states 3307# for my truck....so I wonder if any of the numbers from Ram can be trusted or are they all "ballpark" figures?
I'd say whatever those options were that you put on added up to just 93lbs.

I agree, not at bad as we'd thought it would be, I'd even just get the regular Crew Cab and ditch the Ramboxes and get back some weight.
If the HD Tow Chart is correct, the Megacab drops payload by 410lbs alone, and then add another loss of 150-ish for the RAMboxes.
It looks like the RAM Box weight is 160lbs.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Just a Reminder to anyone looking at the towing charts.

The 1660 payload for Powerwagon is not for the loaded Powerwagon, but for the Tradesman with Powerwagon package.

Powerwagons will be under 1350 with most near 1100

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Just a Reminder to anyone looking at the towing charts.

The 1660 payload for Powerwagon is not for the loaded Powerwagon, but for the Tradesman with Powerwagon package.

Powerwagons will be under 1350 with most near 1100

Absolutely. Which is why I am making it clear that is the payload based on the chart and not door sticker. And is the exact discussion I am having with the sales person I contacted about this truck... he is very adamant that the payload is 1660.... he's wrong, just doesn't know it yet.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
Okay... I've created a towing capability spreadsheet to measure payload. I don't know if I'm been looking at it too long, or if I'm just nuts, but by my calculations, I'll have more available payload if I get the 6.4L V8 than the 6.7 I6 Limited 2500. Below is the rough comparison.

TRAILER6.4L V8 (4.10 Gears)6.7L I6 (3.73 Gears)
GVWR​
GCWR​
GTWR​
UVW​
PAYLOAD: Initial​

80% or more of our towing is done at serious altitude in the rocky mountain west (7,500' - 10,000'). Therefore, I thought the diesel engine would give me better towing performance, but it seems so long as our trailer stays below the tow vehicle's GTWR, then the gas engine with 4.10 gears (even the 3.73 gears on the gasser would be okay) is the better choice. This seems counterintuitive to me, so what am I missing?

p.s. When I consider that I don't know the weights of all of the options I'll want on the Limited (Towing Tech Group, Protection Group, Limited Level 1 Equipment, Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle, Dual Alternators @ 440 Amps, Auto Level Rear Suspension, Power Sunroof, Deployable Bed Step, Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, 5.5 Additional Gallons of Diesel tank), I'll be overweight if we want to carry any water when we attach the trailer.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Certainly a novice here, but I think diesel adds considerable weight reducing your payload.

Someone (somewhere) posted a link to a pdf with the weight of parts... it was an older list, but I can't find it again.

If the weight are about close then the list I posted from Zeronet should get you in the ballpark
Or take a look at one of the Megacabs I posted and subtract 570# for the cab size and Ram boxes.

D

Deleted member 80

The Cummins is heavier, so less payload, BUT if you are pulling at elevation the Cummins will pull like a train, while the 6.4 is wheezing. The loss of performance at high elevations is very noticeable with the 6.4. I would strongly advise you to go diesel.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
If the weight are about close then the list I posted from Zeronet should get you in the ballpark
Or take a look at one of the Megacabs I posted and subtract 570# for the cab size and Ram boxes.
I’ll take a look at the Megas you posted again. I was thinking the one I looked at earlier had very few options compared to my build. Unfortunately, Zeronet’s weights didn’t have many of my options either. And, you’re right, the diesel eats up A LOT of payload. I was just really, really surprised by how much. Thx!

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
...if you are pulling at elevation the Cummins will pull like a train, while the 6.4 is wheezing. The loss of performance at high elevations is very noticeable with the 6.4. I would strongly advise you to go diesel.
. Thanks for the feedback. I’m afraid if we go with diesel it’ll force us into the 1-ton. Guess I better input those specs into my spreadsheet. I just know the ride will be so much worse than the 3/4-ton, especially on cross country trips.

orlando bull

Reaction score
. Thanks for the feedback. I’m afraid if we go with diesel it’ll force us into the 1-ton. Guess I better input those specs into my spreadsheet. I just know the ride will be so much worse than the 3/4-ton, especially on cross country trips.

Find some 18s and go test drive. I did a 3500 and 2500 back to back thinking that the 2500 ride was going to blow me away after the 3500. I didn't feel much difference quite honestly. If there was a big ride difference, I possibly would have gone with the 2500 6.4.

Supposedly ride quality has been improved as well. Neither truck felt that much worse than my f150 on my test drive. I'm sure it will be a big change, but, these trucks ride pretty well for what they are.

D

Deleted member 80

I have owned both, and, despite their marketing jazz, there is not that much difference.

Users who are viewing this thread