Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traveling in my 2019 Tradesman

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
We started from NE Oredon 10 days ago and had planned a trip south following RT 66 back to IL. Our 1st night was spent in Provo, UTAH where we were notified that my MIL was in the hospital in IL. The next morning we headed east and made it to central IL the next afternoon. MIL is now out of the hospital in a rehab facility and things are kind of back to normal.

My BIL and I have made a few day trips in the new truck, so hr re are some of the places and things I like yo do when on vacation/trips......

RT66 runs 10 miles from our hometown of Hillsboro, IL, so it's pretty easy to see some of the sights along the route. We visited the "famous" turkey tracks in the late 20s alignment of the highway north of Carlinville, IL. Apparently, a turkey wondered out on the concrete while it was still wet and it's tracks became "immorta!"

This what tha section looks like today:

20190408_125253-X2.jpg

Last edited:

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
The outlined section of the road is where the turkey tracks are, but notice how narrow the road is.....the truck almost does not fit. In fact when the outside tires are on the road, the driver mirror is over the center line.

20190408_130123-X2.jpg

Closeup of the turkey tracks:

20190408_130035-X2.jpg

I enjoy finding quirky types of things to see on these trips and will continue to do so. When traveling, I like to find inexpensive things to see and do. You can have a lot of fun without spending a bunch of money if you jusy look around some.

I will have lots more of this frre stuff to follow.

bobohio

Reaction score
We started from NE Oredon 10 days ago and had planned a trip south following RT 66 back to IL. Our 1st night was spent in Provo, UTAH where we were notified that my MIL was in the hospital in IL. The next morning we headed east and made it to central IL the next afternoon. MIL is now out of the hospital in a rehab facility and things are kind of back to normal.

My BIL and I have made a few day trips in the new truck, so hr re are some of the places and things I like yo do when on vacation/trips......

RT66 runs 10 miles from our hometown of Hillsboro, IL, so it's pretty easy to see some of the sights along the route. We visited the "famous" turkey tracks in the late 20s alignment of the highway north of Carlinville, IL. Apparently, a turkey wondered out on the concrete while it was still wet and it's tracks became "immorta!"

This what tha section looks like today:

20190408_125253-X2.jpg
I'm also on RT 66 in Kingman Arizona....stop on by for a beer next time!!

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
For those of you who watch American Pickers, you might remember an episode where they picked a guy named Hobo Jack outside of Litchfield, IL. This is a picture of the lane to his place:

20190408_142442-X2.jpg

Last edited:

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Two days ago, we went to the cemetery where my FIL, SIL, and a niece are buried. While there I checked out 2 other graves.....the graves of John and Jerome Fogleman.

20190412_164117-L.jpg

20190412_164159-L.jpg

These two gentlemen may have been cousins or they may have been brothers....dunno for certain. But one thing is certain, the headstones are unremarkable in most respects, and certainly unremakable with the information contained on the marker. However, these two men were Civil War veterans. One was born in NC and one was born in SC. They were Confederate soldiers. Following the war they ended ip in south central IL and were buried in Butler, IL.

So why my interest in 2 CSA veterans in IL? My family is from MO and had migrated there from Greene Co. TN. 5 of my ancestors fought for the CSA and at least 2 died during the war. My Grandfater's Gradfather died from injuries received at the First Battle of Springfield in MO.

I am neither extremely proud of, nor am I ashamed in any way of my family's service to the CSA. I do believe these men were patriots to the cause they believed in and served their country as they saw fit, just as the soldiers of the North served the cause in which they believed. I do take an interest in and seek out Confederate graves in cemeteries as a curiosity.

Pretty amazing what you can discover if you just take the time to look!

Users who are viewing this thread