Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission issues.

Appleii

Reaction score
I have a 2021, 2500 HD, after initial picking up from dealership drove to Florida and back pulling a fifth-wheel (14,000lbs)
I have the diesel motor with tow package and have the exact same issues. I cannot pass anyone as it will not drop down a gear to pass, and when driving through small towns at 25 to 30 miles an hour it seems like it's going to die as it will not drop down a gear.
I have tried it both ways with Towing on and off with no change either way. It's at the dealership as we speak and they're saying there's nothing wrong with it. Should have stuck with the 2006 Chevy Silverado, had no issues whatsoever pulling the same trailer.
Any help and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Appleii

Reaction score
More specifics please.
I'm reading several other post on the same matter it seems like they're calling it a" dead pedal" as I said I can't pass if a semi is in front of me on a two-lane Highway there's just nothing there, just have to be super super patient as I have to follow behind trucks going 10 miles below the speed limit without being able to pass. Also like I said when going slow speeds without the trailer it needs to drop down a gear it seems like it's going to die.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Does sound like a wicked case of dead pedal to me. I have experienced the dead pedal enough to have changed my driving style to some degree, but still unnerving when happens. Tow haul mode should alter your shift points and hold gears longer on the acceleration and be more aggressive on the downshifts with exhaust brake on full. A stupid question: are you possibly trying to pass while on cruise? Not sure if they still feed back or not(like older cars), but it’s a thought. Low speed cruise problem almost sounds like a converter not unlocking soon enough, if I am understanding your description. Just my personal thoughts from my own experiences over the years.

Greenhills

Reaction score
I'm reading several other post on the same matter it seems like they're calling it a" dead pedal" as I said I can't pass if a semi is in front of me on a two-lane Highway there's just nothing there, just have to be super super patient as I have to follow behind trucks going 10 miles below the speed limit without being able to pass. Also like I said when going slow speeds without the trailer it needs to drop down a gear it seems like it's going to die.
If you put the pedal to the floor will it downshift? or still no?

GBB

Reaction score
My ‘15 with the 68rfe use to do that. Has nothing to do with dead pedal it just wouldn’t downshift sometimes. Come up on a vehicle say doing 50mph and go to pass, mash it to the floor and it would stay in 6th gear..wouldn’t down shift. Scared sh@# out of me couple times and I ain’t scared of nothin

Will_T

Reaction score
Mine does not do that, it downshifts OK so far. I do have the dead pedal though so I think they are two separate things. The first few times at one of those last minute yellow lights where I decided to not panic stop, I was shocked to floor it and have nothing happen but it did not feel like a lack of down shifting, more an electronic delay before the computer told the truck to hit it.

Appleii

Reaction score
If you put the pedal to the floor will it downshift? or still no?
Its a still no.
Its a new truck and about 90% of my 7,000 miles have been pulling my 5th wheel, but when not pulling the 5th wheel it has been downshifting.
Any help is appreciated.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Will it drop a gear if you use the gear limit paddle?

If the dealer isn't giving you satisfaction, you could try another dealer or talking with @RamCares .

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I have a 2021, 2500 HD, after initial picking up from dealership drove to Florida and back pulling a fifth-wheel (14,000lbs)
I have the diesel motor with tow package and have the exact same issues. I cannot pass anyone as it will not drop down a gear to pass, and when driving through small towns at 25 to 30 miles an hour it seems like it's going to die as it will not drop down a gear.
I have tried it both ways with Towing on and off with no change either way. It's at the dealership as we speak and they're saying there's nothing wrong with it. Should have stuck with the 2006 Chevy Silverado, had no issues whatsoever pulling the same trailer.
Any help and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Will it drop a gear if you use the gear limit paddle?

If the dealer isn't giving you satisfaction, you could try another dealer or talking with @RamCares .

Appreciate the mention @Brutal_HO!

We are sorry to hear about your vehicle concerns and understand how frustrating this must feel. We would like to assist! Please PM us with your VIN as well as some additional details to get started. We can offer additional support while your vehicle is in service or at the dealer.

Hannah
Ram Cares

Nick

Reaction score
I used to just let it slow down then hit the throttle and it would drop a gear . Used to drive me crazy !

Users who are viewing this thread