Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer TPMS lost configuration

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
It is a range issue. The trailer sensors can't reliably send a strong enough signal to the receiver in the bumper. I have given up and made up an extention cable to place the receiver just in front of the the trailer axle and it works great. I paid for the option and I think that it is absolutely stupid that Chrysler didn't bother testing the system before putting it out there on the market. I ended up spending almost a 100 bucks to get the system to work properly. To add salt to the wound, when I went to the dealer with the problem, they didn't even know the system existed. No wonder people have no faith in dealerships.
How did you extend it? Did you move the box from the bumper back to the trailer with some sort of quick disconnect on the tongue?

CdnHO

Reaction score
How did you extend it? Did you move the box from the bumper back to the trailer with some sort of quick disconnect on the tongue?
I made up a cable and placed the receiver box (that was originaly behind the back bumper) under the trailer just ahead of the axle. I installed a quick connect at the trailer connector. The cable has a twisted pair for data and a positive and negative power wires. @Jimmy07 provided a source for the OEM connectors and I used a water resistance quick connect (from Amazon) at the trailer 7 pin connector. PM me for the part source if you want to take this on. The stuff came from DigiKey for the OEM connectors and Amazon for the wire and quick connect.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend the built in trailer TPMS. Mine has only gotten worse over time and rarely works now. I regret optioning it and should have kept my cheap standalone TPMS system from my old truck.

@RamCares This is a serious issue and needs addressing by RAM. This was an expensive option to add to my truck and is a safety feature when towing, I cannot rely on my truck to safely notify me of trailer tire issues despite paying for the feature. Safety features should not be repeatedly ignored when customers bring them to RAM’s attention. I sent you a message a couple weeks ago and haven’t heard back, please put me in touch with somebody at RAM that can investigate this issue. This cannot continue to be ignored, it has the potential to be a dangerous problem.
Hello,

We understand your frustration and do apologize. We have responded to you via private message and will continue the conversation there. Thank you.

Lex
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread