Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Rocking

gojohniego

Reaction score
I have a 2 horse bumper pull trailer when loaded with tack and horses weighs about 6500 lbs. I just started pulling this trailer with my new 2022 Ram 2500. Loaded I have the trailer rocking when stopped at a light (not every time). My first thought was the horses where moving but my wife rode in the back and said that was not the case. I did not have this issue before when pulling this trailer with my F-150. I have been towing horse trailers for a long time and have never had one do this before. Anyone have any thoughts as to what may be the issue?20220729_185007.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Looks like you could use a drop hitch to level it out that is a start… if your not moving the bounce has to be coming from in the trailer. Does it do it without the horses in the trailer?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you mean rocking?

Fore/aft or side-side?

What is your tongue weight?

Agree on getting the trailer level if that pic was on level ground. Nose high will act weird most of the time and takes weight off the tongue.

gojohniego

Reaction score
I have a 7.5 in drop hitch now...on level ground (my driveway slopes) the trailer is level...the trailer does not do it unloaded or at every stop when loaded...fore/aft on the direction...if you've ever pulled a horse trailer the motion is very similar to when horses are moving inside the trailer...I'm not sure what the exact tongue weight is but guessing I'd say around 1000 lbs...saddles, spare tire, battery, and tack are all in the front compartment of the trailer.

Gear box

Reaction score
Do a check on the trailers braking system, turn gain all the way down and see if it still does this.
I have had trailers dive the nose down violently if there are sporadic brake pulsations from a compromised
wire.
Good luck

gojohniego

Reaction score
Do a check on the trailers braking system, turn gain all the way down and see if it still does this.
I have had trailers dive the nose down violently if there are sporadic brake pulsations from a compromised
wire.
Good luck
That's kinda what I was thinking as well from what little I've been able to find on line...seems like the Rams gain is (stronger?) then the F-150...had the Ford set to 7 and with the Ram seems like the trailer brakes want to lock up at around 6.5

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That's kinda what I was thinking as well from what little I've been able to find on line...seems like the Rams gain is (stronger?) then the F-150...had the Ford set to 7 and with the Ram seems like the trailer brakes want to lock up at around 6.5
:eek:

My gain is on light electric @4.5 when I pull 16K, 3.5 when I pull just the RV @12K.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Try turning off traction control. It disables some of the built in sway control that's applying the trailer brakes.

Bcrouse

Reaction score
Did your trailer sit “nose up” on your 150? Also keep in mind the 2500s have coils in the rear which have a little bit different load characteristic than a leaf sprung suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread