Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer light problem

Golfnut

Reaction score
I went a little crazy with vehicles this week. On Tuesday I bought a 2022 Laramie 2500 with a Cummins and then yesterday I bought a little 2014 Toyota tacoma. I took a my new Ram and a trailer 250 miles south to get the toyota. No problems on the way there or for the first hour home. Suddenly, the 12" display on my truck decided to reboot twice while going down the road and then I noticed my trailer lights were not working. Not cool on Interstate 70 in the dark! I stopped at a small truck stop to investigate and found what I think may have been a bad fuse (no tester with me) so I swapped around a fuse and was able to get the brake and blinker lights to work when activated but no marker or running lights came on. I'll look closer in the daylight today. Anything else to look for other than a short on the trailer?

flan

Reaction score
I went a little crazy with vehicles this week. On Tuesday I bought a 2022 Laramie 2500 with a Cummins and then yesterday I bought a little 2014 Toyota tacoma. I took a my new Ram and a trailer 250 miles south to get the toyota. No problems on the way there or for the first hour home. Suddenly, the 12" display on my truck decided to reboot twice while going down the road and then I noticed my trailer lights were not working. Not cool on Interstate 70 in the dark! I stopped at a small truck stop to investigate and found what I think may have been a bad fuse (no tester with me) so I swapped around a fuse and was able to get the brake and blinker lights to work when activated but no marker or running lights came on. I'll look closer in the daylight today. Anything else to look for other than a short on the trailer?
Yea trailer wiring is usually pretty suspect, assuming it’s a 7 pin give the inside of the trailer plug a look too.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Check ALL your truck fuses. Friend of ours picked up a brand new F-250 right before our trip to Colorado and noted none of his trailer running lights were working. Apparently someone at the Ford factory didn't seat all the fuses properly and he'd popped a couple.

Otherwise check all connections on truck and trailer side.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Make sure all the fuses are seated they usually are not then using a test light test the trailer plug pins its likely your trailer is the issue

Golfnut

Reaction score
I found two blown fuses this morning. Both related to trailer stuff. I'm certain its a trailer problem as I had this problem on my 2009 Ram a few years ago but couldn't replicate it.

Powerwagon46

Reaction score
I had some connectivity issues with my 7 pin cord on my Airstream trailer. It came to my attention that apparently RAM issued a bulletin regarding this issue. I have replaced the plug on my Airstream.

Attachments

• Ram_All_Trailer Conn Compat_All.pdf
    174 KB · Views: 21

Users who are viewing this thread