Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer disconnect while towing

Rwinger

Reaction score
As anyone have the truck display trailer disconnected while traveling down the road? I had this trailer with my 2008 Dodge Ram it didn't have all this info so it might be in the trailer wireing. Which of the 7 pin connector does the truck take the info from to tell that the trailer is hooked up?

orlando bull

Reaction score
I haven't had this happen, but, could be a grounding issue. especially if you're running a new painted or aluminum shank on your truck. It should have a wired ground, but, that may be compromised and seems to be the most likely place to start if all of the lights are working normally. My dad has a trailer with a grounding issue that will come and go when traveling down the road. I wouldn't recommend his fix, but, he drilled a threaded hole in his receiver and has a bolt that keeps constant tension on the shank so that the whole system stays grounded through the truck. It's an 18' utility trailer, I probably would have just re-wired it if it were mine since it's not a complicated setup.

I have a buddy that bought a used boat and had a similar issue. It was also a ground and he fixed it in the trailer wiring.

None of that may help you, but, since no one else chimed in, I thought it may give you a place to look on the trailer first.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
i had this issue a while back and it ended up being a ground issue in the trailer wiring. i just had it rewired tail lamp
to pig tail. it needed it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread