Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Camera

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
If you’re wondering if it can just be made to fit in the housing- probably. If you’re wondering if it can be installed in the housing to use it in place of the analog trailer camera- no. There is only one digital camera input on the radio, and it only works for the backup camera/surround view system.

I just noticed that while looking at the instructions for Rams TTPMS. Looks like we are stuck using analog only cameras through the factory HMI or do I have it twisted?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I just noticed that while looking at the instructions for Rams TTPMS. Looks like we are stuck using analog only cameras through the factory HMI or do I have it twisted?
It's analog.

2022 will bring a trailer 360 surround digital system. There's a link to TFL article post here yesterday from Ram's preview. Expect it will require the Uconnect v5.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
If you’re wondering if it can just be made to fit in the housing- probably. If you’re wondering if it can be installed in the housing to use it in place of the analog trailer camera- no. There is only one digital camera input on the radio, and it only works for the backup camera/surround view system.
What about the analog camera used for the cargo camera?

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Don't really know if these pics are worth it but. Here they are of the Mopar Trailer Camera.
So you sticking with this camera? Although the res is less than stellar, you think it's good enough to make out what's behind you?

RamThis2500

Reaction score
Yeah, The picture was fine for backing into a tight spot, I saw what I needed to see to make adjustments. However I will most likely be upgrading to an HD camera when available.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Yeah, The picture was fine for backing into a tight spot, I saw what I needed to see to make adjustments. However I will most likely be upgrading to an HD camera when available.
Ok, I may go with this for the same reasons and hopefully they upgrade the camera at some point. Thx

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Was the installation pretty straight forward, i.e., decent directions came with the kit?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Could you use the backup camera on the trailer if you bought one and changed some wiring jimmy ?
Post 120-
You can’t use the backup camera as the aux trailer camera.

bfs673

Reaction score
I took the question as more of a "can you extend the digital camera wiring..." but maybe I'm reading into it.
Would like to know as well. I would think the backup camera would be relatively easy to divert to a trailer when towing and tailgate when not.
I think the digital rear view mirror would be a great solution while towing, though much more difficult to tie into the wiring and extend to the rear of the trailer.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I took the question as more of a "can you extend the digital camera wiring..." but maybe I'm reading into it.

Would like to know as well. I would think the backup camera would be relatively easy to divert to a trailer when towing and tailgate when not.
I think the digital rear view mirror would be a great solution while towing, though much more difficult to tie into the wiring and extend to the rear of the trailer.
I can see the question being asked that way, too. It’ll work like that. You could grab a spare rear view camera and a mounting solution for it on the trailer. It uses a single RG174 coax cable with Fakra Z connectors (the camera accepts Fakra female connector). You can choose various lengths here- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fakra-Z-Ma...870800?hash=item262551bc10:g:HXsAAOSw3jZdOHUW
Then just come up with a solution for quick changeover when hooking up the trailer.
Same deal with the digital rear view mirror- get the extra camera mounted, and run a secondary coax to the back.
I see that 2022 HDs are going to offer the digital mirror with two camera inputs to switch between two digital cameras- one in the CHMSL, and one on the back of a trailer.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I can see the question being asked that way, too. It’ll work like that. You could grab a spare rear view camera and a mounting solution for it on the trailer. It uses a single RG174 coax cable with Fakra Z connectors (the camera accepts Fakra female connector). You can choose various lengths here- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fakra-Z-Ma...870800?hash=item262551bc10:g:HXsAAOSw3jZdOHUW
Then just come up with a solution for quick changeover when hooking up the trailer.
Same deal with the digital rear view mirror- get the extra camera mounted, and run a secondary coax to the back.
I see that 2022 HDs are going to offer the digital mirror with two camera inputs to switch between two digital cameras- one in the CHMSL, and one on the back of a trailer.

That new camera option also includes side view trailer cameras and 360° surround view for the trailer!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
That new camera option also includes side view trailer cameras and 360° surround view for the trailer!
I was checking into that, too. That appears to be a separate system from the digital rear view mirror with tow mode. From what I can see, that’ll be 4 digital cameras with coax cable going to a central vision processing module mounted in the trailer. Then the CVPM uses power, ground, canbus IHS, and the three video input wires to the radio pins 21,22,&23 via the 12-way connector. Hopefully a potential retrofit...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I was checking into that, too. That appears to be a separate system from the digital rear view mirror with tow mode. From what I can see, that’ll be 4 digital cameras with coax cable going to a central vision processing module mounted in the trailer. Then the CVPM uses power, ground, canbus IHS, and the three video input wires to the radio pins 21,22,&23 via the 12-way connector. Hopefully a potential retrofit...

That would be cool but I have to wonder how the trailer surround gets displayed/selected on the Uconnect screen.

Is there an expectation the Canbus IHS signal from the trailer CVPM can be wired from the existing 12-pin and coded to work on prior years?

P.S. The Digital rearview retrofit still hasn't been resolved as far as I can tell? At least not without a possible retrofit of a 21 BCM?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
That would be cool but I have to wonder how the trailer surround gets displayed/selected on the Uconnect screen.

Is there an expectation the Canbus IHS signal from the trailer CVPM can be wired from the existing 12-pin and coded to work on prior years?

P.S. The Digital rearview retrofit still hasn't been resolved as far as I can tell? At least not without a possible retrofit of a 21 BCM?
I’m hopeful of that. But first, Alexey is going to have to catch up on BCM configurations, because there will definitely have to be some settings to bring a can IHS module online- I’m guessing a VehConfig 8, CustSetMenu 3, and Cabin Net settings.
Nothing happening yet on the digital mirror retrofit. I have a mirror and camera on the way to mess around with (nobody can find the part number of the actual CHMSL for it yet). A member on 5thGen tried a 21 BCM but gave up because he couldn’t get the VIN programmed (didn’t reach out to me). The member he sold it to is going to get a hold of me once he receives it, so we’ll see what happens with that.

Users who are viewing this thread