Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tradesman upgrade to 8.4

Jackmup

Reaction score
Those pics I put up are generic I found off the web just to show the bracket. Pay no attention to the looks as they have nothing to do with our part numbers. My truck has a single 4way or hazard button and the part number I listed has exactly that. Sorry about that didn't mean to cause wrong parts anxiety, I know the feeling.

stinson87

Reaction score
I have the 6.7L and trying to verify the center stack:

68370127AA - center stack​

Jackmup

Reaction score
I have the 6.7L and trying to verify the center stack:

68370127AA - center stack​

That stack looks like it has heated steering wheel and seats. It's for the diesel but what trim level and options do you have? It's worth taking a ride to a dealer and locate a truck with the exact one you want, write its vin number down and go straight into the parts dept. They can pull it up by vin. The lower aux and Jake buttons dont come with it. They get transfered over to the new center stack.

stinson87

Reaction score
That stack looks like it has heated steering wheel and seats. It's for the diesel but what trim level and options do you have? It's worth taking a ride to a dealer and locate a truck with the exact one you want, write its vin number down and go straight into the parts dept. They can pull it up by vin. The lower aux and Jake buttons dont come with it. They get transfered over to the new center stack.
dang. I am looking for a base, I have not been able to find one yet at the dealerships around. My local dealership thinks everyone is getting the 12" fully loaded limited if they get the cummins.

SkywalkerPhD

Reaction score
dang. I am looking for a base, I have not been able to find one yet at the dealerships around. My local dealership thinks everyone is getting the 12" fully loaded limited if they get the cummins.

Yep. They make a ton of extra money selling that Cummins. Most of the higher level trims are diesels. Adds an extra 9-10k to the price and I guess dealers figure if you are spending 65k on a Limited, why not spend 74k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stinson87

Reaction score
Yep. They make a ton of extra money selling that Cummins. Most of the higher level trims are diesels. Adds an extra 9-10k to the price and I guess dealers figure if you are spending 65k on a Limited, why not spend 74k.

I wish they were even in the 74k range... we have a 2021 3500 loaded and aftermarket mods to 98k... o_O

Maka14

Reaction score
Upgraded it. Just need a new ac bezel now. The original one doesn’t sit right. Not only does the 2 plastic tabs don’t line up, the upper 4 screw holes don’t either and the screen doesn’t sit 100% right plus there is a gap at the top of the center stack. Now my problem is my active lines won’t turn on and stay on. I push the check mark , it shows it’s checked off and then 2 seconds later it goes away. Anyone have this issue? Maybe it needs to learn and adapt to the truck? Also I can’t push the little magnify symbol to change the camera view when backing up?

Maka14

Reaction score
68428584AC radio has the apple car play correct ? Im running one from a 2019 1500 but my active back up camera guide lines won’t stay checked and my blue tooth buttons don’t work on my steering wheel so I’m going to have to sell this one and get the correct one.

naplesbill

Reaction score
Upgraded it. Just need a new ac bezel now. The original one doesn’t sit right. Not only does the 2 plastic tabs don’t line up, the upper 4 screw holes don’t either and the screen doesn’t sit 100% right plus there is a gap at the top of the center stack. Now my problem is my active lines won’t turn on and stay on. I push the check mark , it shows it’s checked off and then 2 seconds later it goes away. Anyone have this issue? Maybe it needs to learn and adapt to the truck? Also I can’t push the little magnify symbol to change the camera view when backing up?

I replaced my manual temp control bezel with an auto temp control bezel. I may be convinced to part with the manual one.

Bsaylor

Reaction score
If anyone is interested or knows anyone looking, I’m selling the 8.4 non nav from my 20 Laramie 2500. Has apple car play and android auto, 2 months old. 800
8c159218a9a535b9ef561b97708298d3.jpg

Maka14

Reaction score
If anyone is interested or knows anyone looking, I’m selling the 8.4 non nav from my 20 Laramie 2500. Has apple car play and android auto, 2 months old. 800
8c159218a9a535b9ef561b97708298d3.jpg

Where were you a month ago lol. I’m currently trying to get that particular radio (already spent a ton on ac bezel and center stack) since my radio is from a 1500 and i lost my uconnect buttons on my steering wheel when I swapped out.

Bsaylor

Reaction score
Where were you a month ago lol. I’m currently trying to get that particular radio (already spent a ton on ac bezel and center stack) since my radio is from a 1500 and i lost my uconnect buttons on my steering wheel when I swapped out.

That’s how it usually goes man lol.

AndyS

Reaction score
It depends on what engine you have. If you have the 6.4 you will need the center stack with the single center button for the 4 ways only. The Cummins gets the split button because both engine options use the same position in the lower switch bank for the traction control and exhaust brake. So, if you have the diesel it will push the traction control button up into the split controls along with the 4 way flasher button.

There are what it seems like a thousand different part numbers for the same part because all trims levels use them, all being different. So, it all depends on what you want to install.

I have the 6.4. These are the part numbers that I used. They are for the Tradesman trim level.

68428584AC-Radio-Multi Media

68340283AD-Center stack control

6VQ511AHAA-Bezel-instrument panel

68354583AA-8.4 Radio bracket

You can refer to page 66 entry #1319 in the 'What did you do to your ram today " thread to see what I did.

A signature line with what you have or are going to have would make it easier to help you.
Just installed the 8.4 into my '19 Tradesman using the above listed parts from b307a1. The radio was on a long back order. Ordered in Aug, arrived last week. Loving the Apple carplay! Anywho, all installed and seems to be working good except for the backup camera. The clarity is awesome, but it seems the aspect ratio does not fill the whole screen. I also lost the feature of switching the view to look straight down at the hitch. Anyone else have this issue? How to correct it?

Also lost the VR and phone button on the steering wheel. Anyone else have this issue?

Forgot to add, the compass also does not show under apps.

Disregard! Just went outside to check something and all works as it should. I guess the radio needs to l"learn"?
Anyone with a 5" radio and is thinking about the upgrade, go for it! Super easy install.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just installed the 8.4 into my '19 Tradesman using the above listed parts from b307a1. The radio was on a long back order. Ordered in Aug, arrived last week. Loving the Apple carplay! Anywho, all installed and seems to be working good except for the backup camera. The clarity is awesome, but it seems the aspect ratio does not fill the whole screen. I also lost the feature of switching the view to look straight down at the hitch. Anyone else have this issue? How to correct it?

Also lost the VR and phone button on the steering wheel. Anyone else have this issue?

Forgot to add, the compass also does not show under apps.

Disregard! Just went outside to check something and all works as it should. I guess the radio needs to l"learn"?
Anyone with a 5" radio and is thinking about the upgrade, go for it! Super easy install.
Seems these trucks can take a few starts to get the camera back if the battery dies or radio modules get unplugged

Users who are viewing this thread