Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tradesman upgrade to 8.4

woody284

Reaction score
Thank you for the work and and very interested. If you price holds out this is doable for sure.

b307a1

Reaction score
I finally got it, put it in and everything works! You can modify the original a/c bezel. Only difference was two small notches that can easily be made with a dremel or grinder. Very self explanatory when you go to mount the new black radio bezel into it. Which means this install can be done for a lot less. I'll put together part numbers.View attachment 10444above is the original ac house notice the square bump.View attachment 10445and this was the new a/c bezel I bought. Notice how the bump has that grove cut in it.
Also there is a plastic backing plate that sits behind the radio and supports it. The new radio is larger. I made it work by elongating the mounting holes but I will see if I can identify a part number for that.
The Radio powered right up and sounds alot better too. I wasn't really expecting better sound but very happy I got some.View attachment 10448i did upgrade my a/c bezel to a nicer model with aluminum trim and some grey squirly crap on top...lovin' it.View attachment 10447
I know there is another thread dealing with it but, looking at one of the pics showing part of the glove box it raises the question... did you replace the trim piece below the glovebox?

kristof

Reaction score
I finally got it, put it in and everything works! You can modify the original a/c bezel. Only difference was two small notches that can easily be made with a dremel or grinder. Very self explanatory when you go to mount the new black radio bezel into it. Which means this install can be done for a lot less. I'll put together part numbers.View attachment 10444above is the original ac house notice the square bump.View attachment 10445and this was the new a/c bezel I bought. Notice how the bump has that grove cut in it.
Also there is a plastic backing plate that sits behind the radio and supports it. The new radio is larger. I made it work by elongating the mounting holes but I will see if I can identify a part number for that.
The Radio powered right up and sounds alot better too. I wasn't really expecting better sound but very happy I got some.View attachment 10448i did upgrade my a/c bezel to a nicer model with aluminum trim and some grey squirly crap on top...lovin' it.View attachment 10447
Have you actually tried to modify the original bezel to fit the new center piece? I tried and it just didn't work cause mounting holes won't line up.

Jackmup

Reaction score
I know there is another thread dealing with it but, looking at one of the pics showing part of the glove box it raises the question... did you replace the trim piece below the glovebox?
Yes I did. All at the same time so I have that part number also. And it is different. Now it has less of a space at the bottom when closed.

Jackmup

Reaction score
Have you actually tried to modify the original bezel to fit the new center piece? I tried and it just didn't work cause mounting holes won't line up.
No I held it in there and it stopped right at the two bumps then I would have had to cut those groves to fit it in. So I didn't go any further. I got home late saw mopar boxes at the front door and was way too excited had to put it right in. All of the screw holes matched the old one and even of there was one I missed I would say get out a dremel or small die grinder and buzz things In if you want to save $ but then again we are talking about new expensive trucks here. As soon as I can I will look up all the part numbers and take a better pic of the bezel I got. It looks sharp with the grey and black trim on top. Been working late this week so I'll post all.my numbers with pics of the parts soon as I can.

Jackmup

Reaction score
These are the part numbers I used. The radio turned right on and displays RAM when it turns off. The infotainment cable below is needed because the new radio has a different plug. This plugs into the old end and into the new radio. Compass won't work right off the bat it configures itself and worked the following morning. I do not know if it comes with free sirius but for the number and info needed to call press XM and tune to O (zero).

I have a 2020 2500 Tradesman level 1.

68340283AD Center stack (black center bezel with hvac knobs) $243.09
68428584AC Radio, Multi Media $708.48
5YU433XLAF Instrument panel bezel (a/c vents) $257.40 has grey and black top cover pic below.

parts from infotainment
U-INTC2K Fakra C to K cable (to connect sxm and compass) $19.95
IMG_20210112_213239.jpgIMG_20210111_181212.jpg

Top trim is a marbled grey and black matches my interior perfect with bright aluminum trim.
IMG_20210112_213230.jpg
When I went to sign up with sirius it said that the radio I'd displayed on chanel zero already had a 1 year subscription however it did not turn on till I paid the lady on special $70 for the year. So I splurged.
I plugged my phone in and android auto only sets up with car in park and E Brake on. With my phone plugged in I turned off my phone and turned it back on. Now I have Google maps waze and everything the phone has in the screen. Also you can adjust the screen brightness in settings if your eyes have 50+ years on em it reduces the glare at night without turning down the instrument gauges.

kristof

Reaction score
These are the part numbers I used. The radio turned right on and displays RAM when it turns off. The infotainment cable below is needed because the new radio has a different plug. This plugs into the old end and into the new radio. Compass won't work right off the bat it configures itself and worked the following morning. I do not know if it comes with free sirius but for the number and info needed to call press XM and tune to O (zero).

5YU433XLAF Instrument panel bezel (a/c vents) $257.40 has grey and black top cover pic below.

parts from infotainment
View attachment 10502View attachment 10503

Top trim is a marbled grey and black matches my interior perfect with bright aluminum trim.
View attachment 10504
When I went to sign up with sirius it said that the radio I'd displayed on chanel zero already had a 1 year subscription however it did not turn on till I paid the lady on special $70 for the year. So I splurged.
I plugged my phone in and android auto only sets up with car in park and E Brake on. With my phone plugged in I turned off my phone and turned it back on. Now I have Google maps waze and everything the phone has in the screen. Also you can adjust the screen brightness in settings if your eyes have 50+ years on em it reduces the glare at night without turning down the instrument gauges.
You had sirius before? I have same truck and didn't need the cable from infotainment

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
The infotainment cable below is needed because the new radio has a different plug
You had sirius before? I have same truck and didn't need the cable from infotainment
You only need the cable if the original radio was not SiriusXM capable.
Here’s the same cable (any length you choose-6” is long enough) in case someone doesn’t want to pay infotainment’s robbery prices. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fakra-Z-Ma...-/163834870800?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

foneguy

Reaction score
looks great...im still on the fence hows the back up camera look?

woody284

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this and modified the original bezel to see if it will work? That’s the way I plan to go to save me the roughly 400 bucks.

Jackmup

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this and modified the original bezel to see if it will work? That’s the way I plan to go to save me the roughly 400 bucks.
When I did mine they look real close. But they are not. 5th gen rams has a thread for this also. The tabs do not line up.if a mod is possible it will be done with a diegrinder and files not by cutting tabs off cause that radio isn't going to like potholes. It did look doable to me but others are saying no. Checkout the 5" to 8.4 thread on 5th gen rams but don't use their part numbers just to be safe those are 1500s not 2500s and it took over a month to get my parts. That being said $400 is a Lot to save but it's an expensive truck also. So I bit the bullet and ended up all brand new parts and saved over infotainment used uprade and looked at it that way.

kristof

Reaction score
I couldn't. Had both on hand (stock one and new one). Unless like said above some dremel work might help but the radio might rattle after that.

DanTheRamMan

Reaction score
I purchased 8.4" radio with bezel and center piece from a car parts website for around $600. The centerpiece was different so I need to purchase correct one for around $250. Now I have 8.4" for around $900 total including shipping cost. Worth every penny. I just couldn't stand back up camera so small
Do you remember what site you ordered things through?

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
FYI for others, it looks like if you upgrade to the 8.4 without NAV, then you do not need to change the AC bezel with vents etc. However, if you do opt for the 4C NAV unit then you will have to change that AC bezel and transfer over your switch assembly and 12v outlet.

Chopperno1

Reaction score

parts from infotainment
View attachment 10502View attachment 10503

View attachment 10504
So far this is what I came up with based on my current center stack can anyone verify? My truck did come with sxm, no navigation. Do I need the portion with the A/C vents?417E53CA-5EF4-457F-9568-5E4187961F0F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread