Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tradesman upgrade to 8.4

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Morning guys,

I don’t mean to ask redundant questions but I am just seeking clarity before I purchase because I am seeing mixed answers. If I purchase an 8.4 unit out of a 1500 (part number 68292209AF), will it work in my 2500? I just don’t need to waist $500. Thanks in advance.
No it wont work as it does not have the same features is my understanding

stinson87

Reaction score
Ok. Thank you. I was just wanting to make sure.
To make it more confusing...
My 1500 and a 2500 bighorn level 1 on the lot had the same head unit. But another used 2500 had a different part#. My grand Cherokee has on version newer 8.4 head unit than my truck did. My 3500 I installed a 4c nav unit so no real comparison. The center stack configurations are the hardest part.

Caleyvtwin

Reaction score
So last question, I found a unit I am buying out of a 2021 2500. I am putting in my 2020 2500. Am I going to need a code or is the radio plug and play?

stinson87

Reaction score
So last question, I found a unit I am buying out of a 2021 2500. I am putting in my 2020 2500. Am I going to need a code or is the radio plug and play?
You will need the VIN from the vehicle that came from and the serial number of the radio. Some dealerships also ask for a proof of purchase. Mine knew that I was in there enough buying parts that they trusted I did not steal a head unit, but I did bring the VIN serial number and proof of purchase with me for them to give me the security code.

Caleyvtwin

Reaction score
You will need the VIN from the vehicle that came from and the serial number of the radio. Some dealerships also ask for a proof of purchase. Mine knew that I was in there enough buying parts that they trusted I did not steal a head unit, but I did bring the VIN serial number and proof of purchase with me for them to give me the security code
Ok. Thank you.

Last edited:

JustARam22

Reaction score
Did you go the factory NAV route? I did and the compass/sat/factory nav never find signal.

dave.sevaga

Reaction score
630f2b2885d29fe9bab2882219a3ac38.jpg

Here is mine. Went to uconnect 5 with wireless apple play. Everything works fine. This is a 2022 consul I put in my 2020 ram 2500 tradesman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was it a plug and play or do u need harness and other parts?

Mdim

Reaction score
Just completed the 5" to 8.4" upgrade today. Took the easy/expensive route from Infotainment.com; Probably 30 min swap end to end, works perfectly.

I actually build automotive infotainment systems for a living so was kinda painful taking the easy route, but just didn't have time in my day to mess with it. Thing is really the minimum a truck costing this much should come with to begin with. Fantastic upgrade.

Newcre8

Reaction score
I purchased 8.4" radio with bezel and center piece from a car parts website for around $600. The centerpiece was different so I need to purchase correct one for around $250. Now I have 8.4" for around $900 total including shipping cost. Worth every penny. I just couldn't stand back up camera so small
In doing this did you also get Android auto?

mander1518

Reaction score
I’ve been reading through the posts and I’m more confused than before. I have a 2019 2500 Cummins 6.7L tradesman.

Does one have a definite parts list for the swap for the Cummins? I don’t care if it has NAV or not my phone will provide that.

Users who are viewing this thread