Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tradesman Powerwagon

jsalbre

Reaction score
So, the PW gets a low payload and low towing rating (less than my 2020 Ram 1500 CC North Edition with diesel and several options, and that's really sad) but what I really want to know is this: mechanically is a PW the same as any other 2500? I'm talking axles, axle shafts, frame, control arms, things like that. Is the platform the same as a regular 2500?
The frame is the same, but axles, control arms, and springs are different.

jadmt

Reaction score
When it comes to Power Wagons it kind of reminds me of the jeep saying "it's a jeep thing" or the harley saying "if you have to ask you wouldn't understand"....

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
My buddy has a fairly loaded level 2 PW with sun roof and his payload is over 1300lbs so at 1100lbs yours must really be loaded. I just have the level 1 package. I guess leather and sunroof glass must add a fair amount of weight.

I think the only options I don't have is the HK sound system and the lane departure warning (lane warning was a separate option from the Safety group in 2019)

stickshifter

Reaction score
Powerwagon...trim

Powerwagon Package...available on tradesman Crew Cab 6'4 Bed 4x4

This will be my next truck...if I can pull myself away from an 8foot bed.

I do not need all the extra fluff of the Powerwagon and it's 1100 pound payload.

Tradesman with Powerwagon Package affords the moat payload and towing capacity also.

And, You can get all the awesome fleet colors with the Tradesman.

It really is the best overall way to go...if you dont want the grille and graphics too.

There are a couple members here who do have the Tradesman with Powerwagon Package.
I believe that once you equip a Tradesman with the PW package the springs are changed to the PW springs, and so the payload will be about the same as a regular PW. It’s the soft springs that give the PW great flex but reduce its payload. Maybe I’m wrong, but do some research before you buy a Tradesman with PW package under the assumption that you will be getting payload of a normal 2500. I’ve benn considering the same option. Good luck!

psmura

Reaction score
A regular power wagon and tradesman power wagon are essentially the same minus a bunch of upgrades/appearance changes. A regular PW is going to give you cloth seats, 8.4 display, power rear slider window, trailer brake controller, 12V outlet, front and rear parking detection, larger cluster display, powder-coated front and rear bumpers, blacked-out LED headlights, two-tone paint, power wagon decals, and a power wagon front grille standard. (I am surely missing some items)

From my research, it almost seems that getting a base model power wagon with no additional options is a better choice than adding the PW package to a Tradesman. I have basically ruled out a Tradesman with the PW package added. I will either build a Tradesman 2500 without the PW package and add my own modifications or go with a stripped down bare bones PW.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that once you equip a Tradesman with the PW package the springs are changed to the PW springs, and so the payload will be about the same as a regular PW. It’s the soft springs that give the PW great flex but reduce its payload. Maybe I’m wrong, but do some research before you buy a Tradesman with PW package under the assumption that you will be getting payload of a normal 2500. I’ve benn considering the same option. Good luck!
Payload is GVWR minus base weight.

A regular 2500 has. GVWR of 10000lbs

A Powerwagon or tradesman with Powerwagon package has a GVWR of 8565.

So a regular 2500 will have an avg payload of say 2900lbs. 10000 minus 2900 is a base weght of 7100lbs.

A 7100 lb powerwagon will have a payload of 1465.

So. Tradesman is the lightest trim. The highest payload a Powerwagon package can have is 1620lbs

As options add up the Tradesman with Powerwagon package and a Powerwagon trim can have the same payload and you can actually load a Tradesman with the package to be heavier than a lightly optioned Powerwagon.

Ah. Sorry. I thought a different post of mine was quoted.

There are 2 reasons I do not have a Powerwagon.

1. No long bed.
2. I have my truck loaded to 10k quite often.

And my post was to show the Powerwagon doesnt have the capacity of a 2500...but the Tradesman gets you the closest. Albeit not at all close to a regular Tradesman.

A rebel actually has more capacity than the Powerwagon. But...you load both to their GVWR or trailer them Both to GCWR...the Powerwagon will handle the task so much better.
Heck. Plenty of people use the powerwagon beyond the capacities all the time...because they have no idea usually...and the truck performs flawlessly.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
They are the same truck. Correct. Both have all the same capability.

The Powerwagon is its own trim.

The Tradesman with Powerwagon Package is supposed to be a cheaper way to get the capability.

But as shown...you can get the trim and the package to cross each other in price an payload.

It really comes down to interior and exterior.

Grille design and graphics.

Available colors. The trim is very limited in color choices. The Tradesman can have any color you want.

It really comes down to personal prefrence. Like the grille and graphics. You have to get the trim.

Want a school bus yellow truck...got to get the package.

Want cloth seats. Got to get the package. Want the 12 inch screen...got to get the trim.

Good times

WXman

Reaction score
Thanks. I guess where I was going with that question is that I assume if a guy added air bags or maybe something like the Timbren SES kit or SumoSpring kit, then a Powerwagon would haul and tow exactly the same as a regular 2500. Legally a guy cannot change the GVWR or payload rating. But from a practical standpoint a PW would work just as hard as a regular 2500 if you simply managed the suspension squat in the rear. Correct?

jadmt

Reaction score
Thanks. I guess where I was going with that question is that I assume if a guy added air bags or maybe something like the Timbren SES kit or SumoSpring kit, then a Powerwagon would haul and tow exactly the same as a regular 2500. Legally a guy cannot change the GVWR or payload rating. But from a practical standpoint a PW would work just as hard as a regular 2500 if you simply managed the suspension squat in the rear. Correct?
don't forget the front end suspension is different as well...all comes into play...when talking payload.

stickshifter

Reaction score
I wish I had 1500 lbs of pay load in my PW. I'm at 1100 lbs.

Add the 300 lbs of rock sliders and I'm down to 800 lbs. I probably also have about 100 lbs of recovery gear in my Ram boxes. I should really go weigh my truck. :p
Carli suspension makes rear springs for the Power Wagon that they say increase practical payload to 2,000 pounds. Nothing can change your legal payload, though, so if you go over the door jam number and get in an accident you could get a ticket, be found liable, and your insurance may not cover you. But - if you want to carry weight better you could look into the Carli springs. I don’t have any first-hand knowledge of these springs, so this is not an endorsement- just a suggestion.

Wch_chip

Reaction score
Level 2 PW missing Ramboxes, HK, and the safety GroupScreenshot_20201206-155950.png

WXman

Reaction score
don't forget the front end suspension is different as well...all comes into play...when talking payload.

Yeah, I LOVE the Power Wagon and all that it is. But I can't bring myself to ditch a 1500 that has a 1,645 lb. payload, 10,000 lb. tow rating, and gets 22 MPG combined for a 2500 Power Wagon that has 400 lbs. less payload, the same towing, and half the fuel economy. Sigh... I think I'm going to have to pass and just put a winch on my 1500 one day in the future..

GA Jet

Reaction score
Sorry to bring back a dead thread, I looked long and hard for a tradesman PW with ramboxes (for the $ savings) but couldn't find any. I really wanted the Ramboxes due to these beds being too short for a toolbox (imo).

Long story short, it ended up being way cheaper to talk with a dealer about building my exact truck wants with no crazy luxury add-ons that I hate (like the sun roof and gimmicky interior things) that. It was to buy a used PW w/out boxes and 40-50k miles. Don't always believe the online truck builder MSRP. Volume dealers will sell you a custom built truck for less. I think I paid 51k for mine.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to bring back a dead thread, I looked long and hard for a tradesman PW with ramboxes (for the $ savings) but couldn't find any. I really wanted the Ramboxes due to these beds being too short for a toolbox (imo).

Long story short, it ended up being way cheaper to talk with a dealer about building my exact truck wants with no crazy luxury add-ons that I hate (like the sun roof and gimmicky interior things) that. It was to buy a used PW w/out boxes and 40-50k miles. Don't always believe the online truck builder MSRP. Volume dealers will sell you a custom built truck for less. I think I paid 51k for mine.
Yes they will. We have whole threads here dedicated to helping folks understand how to get the best deals.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sounds like the best bang for your buck would be buy a regular tradesman how you want it and add a set of arb lockers for 4grand, that way you get the payload needed and the lockers sure you dont have the disco sway bars but could make some quick disconnects for the links

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree about keeping payload...or if you want a Regular Cab or an 8 foot bed.

But at 8k for the package you can not build it cheaper in a shortbed.

You would still have to get a winch. You would have to start out with the offroad package to get hill decent and the better shocks and slight lift. Would still have to get a more off road focussed tire and you would have just plain wheels.

You wouldn't get the fog lights. And the Powerwagon package is the only way to get them on a tradesman.

But you would still have the extra payload...

Getting a tradesman to where you want it cuts well into that 8k if you do not buy absolutely bare bones to start.

I see they are bringing the outdoorsman package back to the 1500. Of course it is just a way to get some options cheaper.

I wish they would bring the outdoorsman package to the HeavyDuty...but with the powerwagon pieces on regular cabs and crew 8 foot bed.

GA Jet

Reaction score
Sometimes I wish I had gone diesel and built it for lockers, lift and winch. However I knew that would be a HUGE money investment and I would probably never fully execute the plan

el_barto

Reaction score
Just for clarification…the Tradesman with Power Wagon package has all the same mechanical goodies that the “Power Wagon” trim level has…F & R lockers, 4.10 Axle Ratios, Front Sway Bar Disconnect, Power Wagon 17” wheels and 33” tires, Fender Flares, Softer Spring Rates, Bilstein Shocks, Articulink Control Arms, Skid Plates, and the Winch….the suspension changes also mean it has the same GVWR as the “Power Wagon” trim level, 8565lbs, which results in the reduced payload/towing.

Yes, you can get the “package” to save a few bucks, but in my opinion the PW “Trim” is a pretty huge step up for $5,000 more….on a $50,000 truck its about 10% more.
What you get by stepping up: LED Headlights & Foglights, LED Taillights, Power Folding Tow Mirrors, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Clearance Lights, Front & Rear Park Assist Sensors, 400W Inverter, Rubber Floor Mats, Power Sliding Rear Window with Defrost, 8.4 U-Connect Radio, Power Drivers Seat, Upgraded Seating Material with “Tread Marks”, Upgraded Door Cards, Locking Lower Glove Box, Upper GloveBox(Vs Tray), Upgraded Instrument Panel with 7” TFT Screen, 60/40 Folding Rear Seats, Fold-Flat Rear Floor, Black Headliner, Leather Steering Wheel, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, “Acoustic” Windshield and Front Glass, Powder Coat Black Bumpers (vs Chrome), and the Power Wagon grille & Badging/decals (love it or hate it)

psmura

Reaction score
Just for clarification…the Tradesman with Power Wagon package has all the same mechanical goodies that the “Power Wagon” trim level has…F & R lockers, 4.10 Axle Ratios, Front Sway Bar Disconnect, Power Wagon 17” wheels and 33” tires, Fender Flares, Softer Spring Rates, Bilstein Shocks, Articulink Control Arms, Skid Plates, and the Winch….the suspension changes also mean it has the same GVWR as the “Power Wagon” trim level, 8565lbs, which results in the reduced payload/towing.

Yes, you can get the “package” to save a few bucks, but in my opinion the PW “Trim” is a pretty huge step up for $5,000 more….on a $50,000 truck its about 10% more.
What you get by stepping up: LED Headlights & Foglights, LED Taillights, Power Folding Tow Mirrors, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Clearance Lights, Front & Rear Park Assist Sensors, 400W Inverter, Rubber Floor Mats, Power Sliding Rear Window with Defrost, 8.4 U-Connect Radio, Power Drivers Seat, Upgraded Seating Material with “Tread Marks”, Upgraded Door Cards, Locking Lower Glove Box, Upper GloveBox(Vs Tray), Upgraded Instrument Panel with 7” TFT Screen, 60/40 Folding Rear Seats, Fold-Flat Rear Floor, Black Headliner, Leather Steering Wheel, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, “Acoustic” Windshield and Front Glass, Powder Coat Black Bumpers (vs Chrome), and the Power Wagon grille & Badging/decals (love it or hate it)
That is a great comparison that you added for those looking at a Tradesman PW. A bare bones Power Wagon with no added packages or accessories is a very attractive deal, pretty much eliminated the Tradesman PW option for me. I rarely see any dealers that order these, seems like almost all Power Wagons are loaded right up.

Users who are viewing this thread