Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tradesman Powerwagon

psmura

Reaction score
Decided to make a thread dedicated to the Tradesman Powerwagon. I don't see many of these for sale out here on the East Coast. I am looking to trade my third gen Tacoma for one of these come spring. I didn't think I really needed it, but the power wagon package has got to be the best bang for your buck package offered by any manufacturer on a base model platform. I am surprised that more people don't order these. (Might not know about it!?) Looks like I can build a Tradesman to my liking for right around $51.5k, where the Power Wagon would be around $56.5k. Interested to hear from others that have considered one, and why they went for a real Power Wagon or went with a regular Tradesman.

g00fy

Reaction score
I don't have a power wagon, I needed a diesel for towing, but i'm willing to bet if you did your homework, you could probably haggle a true power wagon that's sitting on a dealer lot down to the same cost as a tradesman w/PW you order custom.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I guess I misunderstand Powerwagon designation. I thought it was another level like Laramie, Tradesman, Limited. Not a subcategory.

psmura

Reaction score
I don't have a power wagon, I needed a diesel for towing, but i'm willing to bet if you did your homework, you could probably haggle a true power wagon that's sitting on a dealer lot down to the same cost as a tradesman w/PW you order custom.
Yeah I have heard that before. I never see no option regular Power Wagons like I would want though so it ends up me paying for options I don’t want like Ram boxes, covers, Level 1, etc. Either way I would likely have to special order something bare bones.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Powerwagon...trim

Powerwagon Package...available on tradesman Crew Cab 6'4 Bed 4x4

This will be my next truck...if I can pull myself away from an 8foot bed.

I do not need all the extra fluff of the Powerwagon and it's 1100 pound payload.

Tradesman with Powerwagon Package affords the moat payload and towing capacity also.

And, You can get all the awesome fleet colors with the Tradesman.

It really is the best overall way to go...if you dont want the grille and graphics too.

There are a couple members here who do have the Tradesman with Powerwagon Package.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score

jadmt

Reaction score
So I just went back and forth on getting a Tradesman with the power wagon option or a basic Powerwagon and believe it or not there was 7lbs of payload capacity difference and no real tow rating difference. This was the trandesman I was looking at.
I ended up doing better on a power wagon with just the level 1 equip group. Dealer actually had a good point if you don't tend to keep your vehicles a long time the trade or sale value of the PW will be better because the Tradesman is still booked as a tradesman..I got on Nada to confirm and he was correct. try and book out a 2017 tradesman with power wagon option (first year they were available) vs a PW.
here are the door sticker numbers. When I enter my VIN my tow rating is right at 10999lbs.
D4B4BC24-B6F2-4F36-98FE-AE191BE164B1.jpegA45B6A4A-EADB-4CA5-A793-C287831C58C2.jpeg

Last edited:

psmura

Reaction score
So I just went back and forth on getting a Tradesman with the power wagon option or a basic Powerwagon and believe it or not there was 7lbs of payload capacity difference and no real tow rating difference. This was the trandesman I was looking at.
I ended up doing better on a power wagon with just the level 1 equip group. Dealer actually had a good point if you don't tend to keep your vehicles a long time the trade or sale value of the PW will be better because the Tradesman is still booked as a tradesman..I got on Nada to confirm and he was correct. try and book out a 2017 tradesman with power wagon option (first year they were available) vs a PW.
here are the door sticker numbers. When I enter my VIN my tow rating is right at 10999lbs.
View attachment 6800View attachment 6801
Thank you for this information it is extremely useful. I never really gave much thought regarding the resale value of a Tradesman vs "Real" Power Wagon.
I guess I need to see what dealers will offer me for pricing on a Tradesman/Tradesman PW/Power Wagon. I have three ideal truck builds in each category. Each one containing more unneeded but wanted items.

sideproject11

Reaction score
Is tow capacity the same for the PW vs the Tradesman with PW package? If so, what is that rating?

Spedly

Reaction score
I was looking at buying a tradesman power wagon when I got my truck because everyone kept saying it had a higher payload. When we went to build it at the dealer the payload dropped to 8565 the same as a regular power wagon.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
8565 is the GVWR. That is the chamge from the reguler 10000 GVWR of the 2500.

A bare bones Tradesman with Powerwagon package will have a maximum payload of 1620lbs.

The issue comes when adding options.

A few payload stickers show a Powerwagon can get down to 1100lbs payload.

So basically a a difference of 520lbs.

But...a Tradesman with Powerwagon Package can be loaded with available options and weigh the same as a Base Powerwagon.

Each truck is different.

So the quick answer is a Tradesman with Powerwagon package will have the highest payload.

But you can have the Tradesman weigh more than the Powerwagon

So you have to look at each truck.

jadmt

Reaction score
silver one is mine the white one the tradesman with pw option I test drove. I went back and forth between the two before deciding on the PW. 7 lbs differnce

Attachments

• DD58FF67-F67C-473C-8652-28AD511A2068_1_201_a.jpeg
    DD58FF67-F67C-473C-8652-28AD511A2068_1_201_a.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 24
  • D4B4BC24-B6F2-4F36-98FE-AE191BE164B1_1_201_a.jpeg
    D4B4BC24-B6F2-4F36-98FE-AE191BE164B1_1_201_a.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 23

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I wish I had 1500 lbs of pay load in my PW. I'm at 1100 lbs.

Add the 300 lbs of rock sliders and I'm down to 800 lbs. I probably also have about 100 lbs of recovery gear in my Ram boxes. I should really go weigh my truck. :p

jsalbre

Reaction score
I really wish they offer the PW axles and winch on a regular suspended 2500. I’d have happily paid a few extra $k to get those on my Limited. I exceed the PL cap of a Powerwagon on an almost daily basis!

jadmt

Reaction score
I wish I had 1500 lbs of pay load in my PW. I'm at 1100 lbs.

Add the 300 lbs of rock sliders and I'm down to 800 lbs. I probably also have about 100 lbs of recovery gear in my Ram boxes. I should really go weigh my truck. :p
My buddy has a fairly loaded level 2 PW with sun roof and his payload is over 1300lbs so at 1100lbs yours must really be loaded. I just have the level 1 package. I guess leather and sunroof glass must add a fair amount of weight.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
@jsalbre . so do I

WXman

Reaction score
So, the PW gets a low payload and low towing rating (less than my 2020 Ram 1500 CC North Edition with diesel and several options, and that's really sad) but what I really want to know is this: mechanically is a PW the same as any other 2500? I'm talking axles, axle shafts, frame, control arms, things like that. Is the platform the same as a regular 2500?

Users who are viewing this thread