Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS (TIS) sensors for trailer (SOLVED - see 1st post) aka TTPMS - Trailer TPMS

hypknight

Reaction score
Well here we go... I purchased a 2022 2500 Laramie with every option I could get. Got the 'Tow Package B'... no TTPMS... Just bought a 5th wheel and went to find my wheel sensors... fun.

Called the dealership. They're ABSOLUTELY worthless. Even went so far as to say that the part numbers in the 1st Post wouldn't work with my truck... laughed at him and hung up. Looks like I'll be doing this myself. If there is still interest in this, I'll document my process and install for those who are in the same unfortunate position...

BigMack

Reaction score
My 2022 factory installed system still does not work properly, looses the information after setting overnight. Pairs OK just does not hold the information. Had a recall on the 6.7l engine control module (ECM), thought that it might be related. New ECM still have the same problem. How do you upgrade the Uconnect5 firmware? It seems to me that if the system pairs it should also be close enough to work properly. Although CdnHO has shown that distance was the issue for him.

CdnHO

Reaction score
My 2022 factory installed system still does not work properly, looses the information after setting overnight. Pairs OK just does not hold the information. Had a recall on the 6.7l engine control module (ECM), thought that it might be related. New ECM still have the same problem. How do you upgrade the Uconnect5 firmware? It seems to me that if the system pairs it should also be close enough to work properly. Although CdnHO has shown that distance was the issue for him.
Strange it won't keep the pairing info. Pretty sure that pairing info is in the receiver in the back bumper. When I replaced the receiver hoping to fix the range issue, I had to pair the sensors again. After several tries I gave up trying to pair. A few weeks later I put the original receiver back in and the pairing was still there. Extended the cable and receiver to the trailer axle and works perfect. Chrysler sure didn't put much development time into this system, especially since most of these truck tow.

AllenC

Reaction score
Well here we go... I purchased a 2022 2500 Laramie with every option I could get. Got the 'Tow Package B'... no TTPMS... Just bought a 5th wheel and went to find my wheel sensors... fun.

Called the dealership. They're ABSOLUTELY worthless. Even went so far as to say that the part numbers in the 1st Post wouldn't work with my truck... laughed at him and hung up. Looks like I'll be doing this myself. If there is still interest in this, I'll document my process and install for those who are in the same unfortunate position...
I am in the same position with a new (left over) 2022 Laramie 2500 picked up 2 days ago. Had to buy what was on lot due to failure of previous truck. It didn't have TTPMS and dealer ordered parts to install the truck system (I got tire sensors online). Now they say wrong parts delivered and waiting for right parts. Beginning to feel uncomfortable but knowing if (and how) you got it done would make me feel better.

JLines

Reaction score
But Apple can do a software update to enable those features. This sounds like it may be more of a lack of hardware.
The other thing with Apple is that they typically don't market features that don't work. It seems the car manufacturers are in a technology war where they install half baked solutions simply to say they have it and when you contact personal from the company for solutions ... they show NO interest in ever making it work. Like a solution for the towing package, the surround video comes with an interface box that feeds into a 12 pin connector that has several unused pins. The box could easily be adapted to serve all the trailer technology issues. Like an input or embedded TPMS receiver that then provides hardwired input to the truck. In addition, it would add an input for the rear view mirror instead of having totally stand alone system. Another idea was to provide a repeater that would be mounted on long trailers to more reliably get the signal to the back bumper. This could even be done after market as an additional option ... but when you approach the company about these ideas ... they have no interest in actually making any of it work ... they will simply respond it is designed by third party company and it is up to them ... but they won't even forward or tell you how to get your ideas to them. The purchase is completed ... they got their money ... and that's all they care about.
So I would disagree with Stumblefoot ... I own a lot of Apple products and can't think of a "feature" they have marketed that has not worked. Yes, there are things I would have liked to see them implement differently ... but they have ways of providing input and seem Interested in the input. Totally different experience ... however, one commonality that I don't care for with either company is the attempts to prevent their customers from being able to do upgrades after purchase.

AllenC

Reaction score
FWIW, my truck 2022 Laramie 2500 leftover bought Aug 2023 was eventually retrofitted and the TTPMS's work well for horse and dump trailers. Key was sales guy really wanting to make the sale who recruited a particularly cooperative/knowledgeable tech at the dealership who promised he could get it done. (Turns out tech was using info on this site! Good for him!) Mopar parts were included in the truck sales price and I agreed to buy AlphaOBD, the bypass cable and tire modules (tire modules were on 7 week back order from FCA). All is good now with one minor glitch: the tire modules I found have long stems that extend slightly beyond my wheels but not beyond the tire sidewall. I am not taking the trailers deep off-road so that will probably never be a problem although I would have preferred shorter stems. Question: Even if Ram trucks with towing options including 5th wheel prep are sold without the TTPMS option, why not have Uconnect set up to accept it as a dealer installed option? Having to use AlphaOBD, bypass cable and special knowledge beyond what Ram provides their trained techs is nuts!

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
I have all the valves in both my 5th wheels and boat to see them. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JLines

Reaction score
FWIW, my truck 2022 Laramie 2500 leftover bought Aug 2023 was eventually retrofitted and the TTPMS's work well for horse and dump trailers. Key was sales guy really wanting to make the sale who recruited a particularly cooperative/knowledgeable tech at the dealership who promised he could get it done. (Turns out tech was using info on this site! Good for him!) Mopar parts were included in the truck sales price and I agreed to buy AlphaOBD, the bypass cable and tire modules (tire modules were on 7 week back order from FCA). All is good now with one minor glitch: the tire modules I found have long stems that extend slightly beyond my wheels but not beyond the tire sidewall. I am not taking the trailers deep off-road so that will probably never be a problem although I would have preferred shorter stems. Question: Even if Ram trucks with towing options including 5th wheel prep are sold without the TTPMS option, why not have Uconnect set up to accept it as a dealer installed option? Having to use AlphaOBD, bypass cable and special knowledge beyond what Ram provides their trained techs is nuts!

JLines

Reaction score
What I find a little disturbing about your comment is that the dealer had you buy AlphaOBD. The dealer should have had the means to update the codes because there are dealer installed options that require updates of the codes. My truck came with the TPMS for the trailers installed; however, you still have to get the sensors installed in the wheels and when I took the ones supplied to my RV service center to have the surround cameras and TPMS sensors installed, they claimed the sensors provided could not be installed on my aluminum rims. I went back to my salesman at the dealer who then talked to folks in the service department and found someone who would make it work. It is my understanding the service manager spent several hours getting valves installed and operational and they did so without charge. As it turned out the service manager had a personal interest in the option and was also interested in other portions of the technology towing package that I already had operational that he wanted to see what was done. Every once in awhile the dealer service department surprises me with great service ... but it isn't the norm. So far they damaged the right front fender when they pulled the truck into the stall to do an oil change. Took them a year to fix initially claiming parts availability of the headlight assembly which they never replaced and simply eventually rubbed out the scratches. My most recent adventure was taking it in for the potential engine fire recall following instructions provided via email and mail to set up service. Took it in for appointment and left with check engine light. Took it back a couple weeks later and apparently the part that needs to be replaced the dealer claims they are allocated one a week ... so I guess their instructions are to remove the old part which causes the check engine light. Then I find they didn't even put me on waiting list for part or indicate on the service order what had been done. I was told it is ok to drive with the check engine light. Didn't make me real comfortable as I was towing my 5th wheel to a campsite. Still doing weekly followups and keep getting told they will call when they have the part and can install it. My wife feels that their go-to tactic is to continue to put you off hoping you eventually forget about your issue ... but that is sort of hard to do when you are constantly looking at check engine light every time you go anywhere with your truck. And as I've pointed out to my service rep ... what happens if a second check engine condition develops ... I won't know I have an issue.

Big Baloo

Reaction score
All,

I have a 2022 BH DRW 3500. I did not order the Trailer TTPMS, but I was successful in getting it installed on my own.
I went to purchase the parts as indicated in the first post of this thread and had to make two changes. The part number listed for the TTPMS Receiver was not the correct part number for a 2022 3500, and the tire sensor's part number was discontinued.

Here is the list of parts I used:
Part # 68526635AB (Wireless Control Module Receiver)
Part # 68404893AB (Trailer Interface Module)
Part # 68412666AA (Wiring Jumper for TIM)
Part # 68516743AA (Trailer Tire Sensors)
OBD Genie C-XG9-BK Programmer with Bypass Module

I followed the instructions for installation from the first post. And the directions on-line from OBD Genie.
Hope this may help anyone else trying to add the TTPMS to their 3500.

rfullen280

Reaction score
All,

I have a 2022 BH DRW 3500. I did not order the Trailer TTPMS, but I was successful in getting it installed on my own.
I went to purchase the parts as indicated in the first post of this thread and had to make two changes. The part number listed for the TTPMS Receiver was not the correct part number for a 2022 3500, and the tire sensor's part number was discontinued.

I followed the instructions for installation from the first post. And the directions on-line from OBD Genie.
Great feedback. I have AlfaOBD, and the settings can be done there too. Current part numbers are always a good thing to have.

CdnHO

Reaction score
All,

Any issues pairing to the trailer tires?

sstoner911

Reaction score
Everything worked fine at the house. I will be taking it out on the long drive next week.

Do you Have the 12" screen.. I had tried to install this on my 2022 with Uconnect 5 and it would never save the pairing of the sensors.

Big Baloo

Reaction score
Do you Have the 12" screen.. I had tried to install this on my 2022 with Uconnect 5 and it would never save the pairing of the sensors.
I have the 8.4" Radio Screen and the 7" EVIC in the instrument cluster. I do not have NAV.

truemanrst

Reaction score
All,

I have a 2023 SRW 3500 limited and want to add the ttpms. I should have all the wiring however my question is where does the Control module get mounted. Is it above the headliner and if so how easy or hard was it to install that module. ?

Big Baloo

Reaction score
I have a 2023 SRW 3500 limited and want to add the ttpms. I should have all the wiring however my question is where does the Control module get mounted. Is it above the headliner and if so how easy or hard was it to install that module. ?
One module (TIM) is above the headliner. Mine was above the passenger rear seat headliner.
The other receiver module is behind the bumper/license plate area.
The receiver module was pretty easy (about 5-10minutes).
The TIM requires that the headliner is partially removed by the same way the instructions described in the first post of this thread. Just takes about an hour or so for the headliner removal and reinstall.
All-in-all it just depends on how mechanically inclined you see yourself.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

As @Big Baloo mentioned, not really hard, just tedious... take your time and go slow and the headliner shouldn't be too horrible.

Big Baloo

Reaction score
All,

Update:

Took the trailer out this past week on a 4 hour drive, spent three days with trailer removed, then drove back 4 hours.
Multiple times stopping and turning off truck. Multiple times removing trailer then reconnecting.
So far no issues. TTPMS has thus far worked properly.

Users who are viewing this thread