Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS (TIS) sensors for trailer (SOLVED - see 1st post) aka TTPMS - Trailer TPMS

ghaynes754

Reaction score
Has anyone bought/installed the tire pressure sensors on a towed trailer that can be viewed on the driver information center after being configured in the UConnect? Specifically for the 3500. I am looking for the part number for the sensor.

I've tried a couple of dealers and yesterday chatted and then emailed Mopar support. Chat referred me to email. Email sent me a totally useless reply. "After doing some research, I found that I only have part information for those that come equipped with a particular vehicle or that are compatible with a vehicle. I would suggest that you speak with an authorized Ram dealer for the part number for the Tire Pressure Sensors that would be used by the trailer towed by your truck. "

This being my first non GM truck after 40 years I am surprised that FCA support doesn't have part numbers. Seems like a black hole.

Mod [Brutal_HO] Edit: OP hasn't been seen in a while so I'm posting a summary update here regarding the TTPMS (Trailer TPMS):

Through diligence and hard work on the part of several members, the parts and process to add TTPMS has been discovered. There are several good summaries and instructions posted throughout the thread that I will attempt to cover below.

The parts required, discovered by several contributors and posted throughout the thread, was initially summarized by @thestuarts HERE.

PARTS REQUIRED TO ADD TTPMS to 2019+ RAM HD TRUCKS:
As of 6-21-20 You may find some of these parts, particularly the TIM module and jumper cable, currently out of stock everywhere, partly thanks to this thread.

You will need to install the hard parts. @Phil T excellent instructions pdf HERE.

The hardest part of this is pulling down the headliner (easier on 2020) to remove a dummy plug jumper and install the TIM and jumper cable.

TIM and jumper location: (photo credit to @Phil T)

1687623418350.png

TOOLS REQUIRED:
  • AlfaOBD for Windows or Android (2020 trucks) ($50) (50% discount on the second license)
  • Security bypass cable like the one from KAOdTECH. ($50) or Jimmy ($?)
  • Bluetooth OBD-II adapter like the OBDLink MX/MX+ ($80/$120) or Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth ($60) or OBD USB cable

You will need to enable the sales code option for TTPMS using the tools and components listed to "recode" the Body Control Module (BCM). There's a giant AlphOBD thread here if needing a primer. I used an ELM327 compatible OBD2 reader ($22 BAFX) with success but don't recommend these in general as they won't be able to perform all AlfaOBD functions.

Turning on the TTPMS option in the EVIC discovered HERE thanks to @g00fy

VehConfig 8: Trailer TPM

1589229719213.png

For the 2019 trucks, you may need to use the Windows version and select the MY2020 under advanced - also thanks to @g00fy
(ETA: AlphaOBD has been updated to include MY2019 TTPMS settings and the ability to override the BCM MY in the Android version as well as Windows)

An excellent writeup using AlphaOBD Windows for a 2019 written by @Phil T HERE

"The TTPM sends the information to the TIM via the Controller Area Network-Chassis (CAN-C) to be transmitted to the IPC."

ETA: P/T Chassis Net: TTPM must be enabled.

It may take several key cycles or time, or even overnight for the Tire Pressure options to show up in the U-Connect Trailer Settings once TTPMS is enabled.

@1FastHemi excellent post on adding the wheel sensors HERE:

I was unable to pair non-MOPAR sensors (external TireMinder) to the system. I don't believe anyone has been successful pairing non-MOPAR sensors.

Lastly, much of this could not have been possible without guidance and input and PARTS from @Jimmy07

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 80

Has anybody confirmed the functionality is even present in their dash display? It seems they have the cart in front of the horse on a few things with this already belated launch.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
Has anyone bought/installed the tire pressure sensors on a towed trailer that can be viewed on the driver information center after being configured in the UConnect? Specifically for the 3500. I am looking for the part number for the sensor.
Hopefully, Jazdad2007 will chime in here, but from what I understand TPMS and Auxiliary Rear Trailer Camera were removed from the Order Guide on Feb 26. While my assumption is that the functionality will be present in the Uconnect system, it won't be operational until those two items become available later this summer.

RAM20193500

Reaction score
Hopefully, Jazdad2007 will chime in here, but from what I understand TPMS and Auxiliary Rear Trailer Camera were removed from the Order Guide on Feb 26. While my assumption is that the functionality will be present in the Uconnect system, it won't be operational until those two items become available later this summer.

I trust that is not the case. That is one feature we really wanted. If you look at the online build tool the "details" suggest that it comes with the Trailer Tow Package. Only reason I ordered it.

RAM20193500

Reaction score
I trust that is not the case. That is one feature we really wanted. If you look at the online build tool the "details" suggest that it comes with the Trailer Tow Package. Only reason I ordered it.

I'm sorry, the towing technology group.

Jazdad2007

Reaction score
You are absolutely correct. They are NOT available and regretfully if you ordered truck with package, you will be heart broken. The parts catalog does have listing for sensors, but they will not communicate with truck because NO trucks were built with TTPM module. Also no truck were built with trailer camera prep package. The kit for this is on back order until 8/19 at the earliest! Patience is something we all are forced to learn at this stage in the game. Hell each of us had to wait 7-10 weeks for our trucks!

Jazdad2007

Reaction score
I'm sorry, the towing technology group.
Unfortunately the online and sales guides are updated without notice and no one is held accountable. Again it was changed in dealer order guide on 2/26, therefore all orders before this date may have a prayer! After this date, it’s on your dealer, sorry.

Don-T

Reaction score
I wonder if I will have either one? I ordered on 2/2 and it was built on 3/14. I guess I will find out when I pick up the truck.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the items you are looking for are no longer included in the Towing Technology Group (Code: AAN). Since the change to the order guide, the only items in that group are; (1) trailer reverse guide, (2) center stop lamp w/cargo camera, and (3) surround view camera.

I wonder if I will have either one? I ordered on 2/2 and it was built on 3/14. I guess I will find out when I pick up the truck.
I don't think so Don-T as the change was made to the production line on Feb 26, I believe.

ghaynes754

Reaction score
The electronic 2019 HE e-Brochure says that both are available. "The available Auxiliary Camera (from Mopar®)" yet Mopar was clueless and "The available Tire Pressure Monitoring System ensures real-time monitoring of air pressure in the trailer tires."

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
The electronic 2019 HE e-Brochure says that both are available. "The available Auxiliary Camera (from Mopar®)" yet Mopar was clueless and "The available Tire Pressure Monitoring System ensures real-time monitoring of air pressure in the trailer tires."
Just because a brochure says both are available is irrelevant. Go by what is actually available from the factory.

orlando bull

Reaction score
Just because a brochure says both are available is irrelevant. Go by what is actually available from the factory.

I don't think it's irrelevant. People have bought trucks for these features based upon the advertising from Ram. If they are indeed not at all available on the trucks we have ordered, there is a valid complaint from the consumer.

Last I checked, the towing tech package, trailer reverse guidance still says that you can see your trailer cameras on the UConnect screen.

I'm hoping that these items will be mostly software, but, it's not looking good. I will be discussing with my dealer when I go there to take delivery.

Trailer reverse guidance still says this;
Back up more confidently with Trailer Reverse Guidance, which displays the output from your trailer cameras on your vehicle's touchscreen with overlaid guidelines so you can see your progress as you reverse.

When coupled with the advertising that this feature is available, it's hard to not feel like this is a bait-and-switch. I fully expect that the features just weren't ready for prime time yet, but, Ram needs to figure out how to make it right with early adopters.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
When coupled with the advertising that this feature is available, it's hard to not feel like this is a bait-and-switch. I fully expect that the features just weren't ready for prime time yet, but, Ram needs to figure out how to make it right with early adopters.

I don't see it as 'bait and switch' but as you said, they were overly optimistic and zealous to get it out and thought they could get the functionality quickly.

I wish you the best of luck, but I can tell you that none of the early adopters over on the 5thGENRAM forum got anything from RAM...

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
I don't think it's irrelevant. People have bought trucks for these features based upon the advertising from Ram. If they are indeed not at all available on the trucks we have ordered, there is a valid complaint from the consumer.
I hate to burst your bubble, but vehicle manufacturers release brochures, web-sites, press-releases, etc. all the time with features that aren’t available at the time of the release. Hell, Apple does it with virtually every product they launch. So, why do you hold RAM or any other vehicle manufacturer to a different standard?

The only thing that matters is your order and build sheet. So, you can whine all you want, but unless your order or build sheet explicitly states what you saw in an advertisement is to be placed on your truck, it won’t be and you have no recourse or claim. I understand this may seem harsh, if not unfair, but it’s reality and is why the manufacturer makes the dealer have the buyer sign off on the order.

As my grandfather taught me in the 70’s; caveat emptor. It’s truer today than yesterday.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score

For example, Tire Pressure Monitoring, which can monitor up to six tires on the pickup, now includes trailer tire pressure monitoring for up to 12 trailer tires.

TTPMS is standard. Your trailer has to have the system for it to work.

And ththe auxiliary camera was always an item that had to be bought separately.

On vehicles equipped with the optional auxiliary camera prep package, the standard 4/7-pin bumper connector is replaced with a 12/7-pin connector to support the remote camera option (available Mopar accessory).

Need some info on the 12/7 trailer plug...maybe this is the supplier issue?

ghaynes754

Reaction score
I agree on your information. But have yet to see the part number for the TPMS trailer sensors. Maybe they are the same as the truck tires.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
In my search for 12 pin plug....it seems

Yes. I would assume you would just buy the same monitor that is in the truck tires.
I was thinking the new trailers have these? Maybe I am wrong.

Jazdad2007

Reaction score
The kit for the tires on trailer is 68433188AA. They will not work until our trucks are fitted with a TTPM! However or we keep believing that the books and pictures are correct we will just go crazy! Dealer list is 244.00 for a 4 sensor kit.

Reactions: RLB

Users who are viewing this thread