Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toxic Cost of Going Green

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I'm not a green energy guy and love my diesel truck and have 0 plans to buy an electric car ever but maybe some will find this interesting, and I find that no one ever talks about the container ships running 24/7 causing most of the green house gasses.

With all the talk from the politicians and car company's wanting everyone to buy an electric car maybe they should do a little research into where the resources are coming from and how they are affecting those regions. The biggest reducer of green house gasses in the USA has been the use of Natural Gas by 30% but they want to get rid of natural gas and have only wind and solar.

Also the biggest pollutants in the world are the shipping and cruise lines industries with no emissions on the engines and they run bunker oil. One giant container ship pollutes the air as much as 50 million cars, and they want to fine us for deleting our trucks.

https://www.geekyexplorer.com/cruise-ship-pollution/

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
One of our local mines has such high grade nickel that they have a contact with tesla for the ore so that means it will take thousands of gallons of underground diesel fueled equipment to make them batteries sounds so environmentally friendly lol

jsalbre

Reaction score
I'm not a green energy guy and love my diesel truck and have 0 plans to buy an electric car ever but maybe some will find this interesting, and I find that no one ever talks about the container ships running 24/7 causing most of the green house gasses.

With all the talk from the politicians and car company's wanting everyone to buy an electric car maybe they should do a little research into where the resources are coming from and how they are affecting those regions. The biggest reducer of green house gasses in the USA has been the use of Natural Gas by 30% but they want to get rid of natural gas and have only wind and solar.

Also the biggest pollutants in the world are the shipping and cruise lines industries with no emissions on the engines and they run bunker oil. One giant container ship pollutes the air as much as 50 million cars, and they want to fine us for deleting our trucks.

https://www.geekyexplorer.com/cruise-ship-pollution/

Not that I disagree with you about shipping being dirty, but your last two articles don’t help make your point, they counter it.

The second to the last says the claim is wrong as it’s only sulfer that was being discussed in the original claim, and also that cars have gotten significantly cleaner which throws off the comparison. It also says that shipping is way cleaner now than it was when the original article making the claim was written.

The last article you posted states that ship fuel would be required to have 90% less sulfur by 2020, thereby largely negating the original claim.

jsalbre

Reaction score
But did they get to their low sulfur target?…Hmmm I wonder :oops:
Probably from the US. Are you implying that’s bad? Isn’t polluting less a good thing? Especially in the context of this thread saying that ships are the biggest polluters?

Edit: I miss read the post I responded to, see corrected response a couple posts down.

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
Probably? Ain’t going to save the word! :rolleyes:
Sorry, I totally misread your post as “But where did they get their low sulfur target?”

I have no idea if they did or not. I was just pointing out that the articles the OP posted disagree with his point.

ppine

Reaction score
We can afford some air pollution out in the open ocean. We can't afford it where millions of people live.
Most people around today are too young to remember what smog levels used to be like in the US in the 1960s and 1970s.
Modern cars and trucks are much cleaner than decades ago.
EVs are likely a steeping stone to more advanced technologies. Electric vehicles are well suited for commuting in cities and plugging in at night.
It will not be that long before we have hydrogen fuel cells powering cars, ammonia and other technologies in production.

EVs require lithium and other mined metals which are not so easy to find. We need to figure out how to recycle used batteries. Their advantage though is that what ever air pollution is created in generating power is far removed from where people live. Eventually we will be generating the majority of power in this country with green energy like wind and solar and maybe nuclear fission.

ppine

Reaction score
Diesel engines will be around for a long time because they are an agile technology that can be adapted to run on many kinds of fuel. Rudolph Diesel invented the first engines to run on peanut oil. They can run on fuel made from waste cooking oil, rape seed, fuel from algae and fuel from wood products. They also can run on hydrogen and ammonia.

In an effort to stay in the forefront, some states like California are making moves to outlaw internal combustion engines by some arbitrary date. I think it is likely that technology like modified diesel engines can quickly adapt to changing economic conditions. All of these laws can be easily eliminated. Some legislators are being too aggressive in their planning.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Wait until you buy one of those "save the planet" electric vehicles and run it around the salt belt for a few winters. Wait until the electric company starts dictating when you can charge your new toy because the grid can't handle it. Wait until you have to total the car because a replacment battery costs more than the car is worth. Wonder how many politicians pushing this stuff have investments in the green energy sector.

mountainears

Reaction score
You think politicians didn’t have stock in the railroads, automotive industry or other Industrial Revolution endeavors? There’s nothing new with that part of the story, always annoying hearing that brought up. They are just corrupt.

Drive what you like and makes you feel good, ignorance to the rest of the BS. Just adds stress. Enjoy life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CdnHO

Reaction score
You think politicians didn’t have stock in the railroads, automotive industry or other Industrial Revolution endeavors? There’s nothing new with that part of the story, always annoying hearing that brought up. They are just corrupt.

Drive what you like and makes you feel good, ignorance to the rest of the BS. Just adds stress. Enjoy life.

Sorry you were annoyed.

ranchhopper

Reaction score
Green is good only for those in washington who make laws that push government subsidies in companies they have stock or ownership in. They leave the taxpayer holding the bag when the company goes bankrupt when government subsidies end been that way for years and isnt going to stop.

mountainears

Reaction score
Sorry you were annoyed.

Not really annoyed. Just the OP seemed perturbed that the politicians aren’t doing research assuming they have money in their pockets. Which is likely for many, my point is that this is no different than just about anything else they are involved in. Wipe that out as a common thread among all issues, debate what is left over :)

ppine

Reaction score
Before Trump, the US passed peak electrical demand. More efficient appliances and LED lights and other technologies have decreased electrical demand in the US. this trend is likely to continue. We have had cheap energy for so long we are used to not worrying about insulation, leaving lights on and what kind of mpg vehicles get. Increasing costs will make Americans more careful in how they use energy. Our power grids are not very adept at moving power around. That needs to change. One of these days people will be going into Home Depot to buy a solar system to install at home.

It is very unlikely that increased electrical demand from EVs will upset the present electrical power market. Vehicles recharge at night to a large extent which is when power demands are lower. The one exception is hot climates in the summer when AC demand can be high at night.

People seem to be searching for all of the reasons why EVs won't work. The technology works, you just can't tow a trailer with it.

Users who are viewing this thread